• Jung Roe

27/06/2021 at 22:36

Hi JP. I haven’t seen that particular video of “It’s a Long Way To the Top”, but it’s the best! Thanks for sharing it. Yeah love those bag pipes, and Mr Scott does a great job on it. I had a couple of friends in high school who were very heavy into ACDC, and when Back in Black came out while I was in high school, ACDC was everywhere. I never really got into ACDC until the early 80s in my early 20s when I was going through some particularly difficult times and those powerful crisp melodic guitar sounds became a kind of emotional salvation for me. I never got into heavy metal like Metallica and others that were around in the 80s, but ACDC was different, none of the metal bands had that powerful crisp and hypnotic guitar work ACDC could do. One of their signature effects were the dueling electric guitar voices between Angus lead and Malcolm’s rhythm guitars. You can hear it at the end of TNT. It’s like counterpointing guitar riffs talking to each other. And then a decade later Beethoven started to have the same effect on me in the instrumentation in his music. The piano dueling with the orchestra, and the powerful piano work. I think hard rock and classical are related.

In MLT’s Club 27 there is some ACDCish crisp melodic guitar work throughout too which was joy to my ears when I first heard it as well as those Hendricks kind of howling guitar sounds. That’s why I love it so, kudos to Mona and Lisa for writing such an awesome hard rock song.

The things you mentioned about the cassettes bring back a lot of nostalgic memories. I use to make high quality cassette copies of all my vinyls, just for the reasons you mentioned to preserve those vinyls from wear. My friend had his own high end cassette deck and use to buy packs of the best TDK and Maxell tapes. I couldn’t afford one of those expensive stereo systems in my teens so I relied on my dads’ high end Akai cassette deck that made the most crisp and wonderful cassette recordings. Loved watching those stereo VU meters going crazy as I recorded those cassettes. I use to have those massive 48 and 60 cassette holding cases that looked like suit cases. Who would have thought back then that in the future we could fit all those cassettes into a slim phone that can be slipped into a shirt pocket today.

• David Herrick

28/06/2021 at 06:10

1975 was the year I discovered audio cassette recorders, and I became obsessed. My parents thought I was too young to take care of such an expensive toy, so I saved up my meager allowance for over a year to buy one.

I could only afford the cheapest cassettes: you could get a three-pack of Certron 60-minute tapes for two dollars, and that’s where my allowance went about once a month.

6396c36531e8ece9f5e1fdd8eabb8241.jpg

My interest at the time was not music, but TV. I’d place the microphone of the tape recorder on a small table I set up next to the speaker of the television set, and I’d record as many episodes of my favorite 30-minute shows as I could. Pausing the recording during the commercials gave me four minutes of spare tape per side, which my brother and I filled with silly skits we wrote.

After I discovered oldies radio stations in the 80’s I would sometimes place the tape recorder by the radio with my fingers on the “record” and “play” buttons, waiting to add to my collection of free Beatles music. Kids these days don’t know how easy they have it with YouTube and the like.

• Jung Roe

29/06/2021 at 05:06

David, that sounds similar to my experience when I got my first Sanyo mono tape recorder. And I got those cheap cassettes that came in the 3 packs at the supermarket for a couple of bucks. I was quite fascinated with it and recorded everything, and then started on one project to record the intro music to all the TV series like Hawaii 5-0, Rockford Files, Baretta, Love Boat, Mash etc….. I was quite proud of that project. I think I was 12 or 13 at the time. I felt powerful like I had a little recording studio as I recorded songs off the radio too. 🙂 …with those unavoidable sound effects of dishes rattling or a toilet flushing in the distance….

• David Herrick

29/06/2021 at 05:20

It sounds like we were living parallel lives back then, Jung! However, I was able to bypass your project because I found and bought this album:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xbIu9WsAeL0/URh4NRa0-2I/AAAAAAAARqo/K0_NmxwFv0M/s640/0_retrospace+tv+mix+tape+image.jpg

Oh yeah, the background noises! I was once taping Love Me Do off the radio when my mom yelled at me from the next room about something I did or didn’t do. I still can’t hear that song without preparing to jump out of my skin at that exact point.

• Jung Roe

29/06/2021 at 06:16

LOL!!! That’s funny David about Love Me Do and the unique effect that song now has on you. 🙂 I can relate a few times of my mom or dad’s voice abruptly interrupting my music experience. You had some kool albums! And it looks like Rockford and Baretta were popular, and I forgot about Kojak and SWAT too.

• David Herrick

29/06/2021 at 13:45

Although MASH is my all-time favorite TV show now, I never watched it when I was a kid. I recall seeing both MASH and SWAT listed in the TV guide and thinking, “What’s next? SQUISH?”

• Diana Geertsen

28/06/2021 at 09:51

Before Mona and Lisa there was a couple of sisters named Ann and Nancy. And WOW !!!!!

https://youtu.be/A99bkAcLIas

• Jung Roe

29/06/2021 at 05:11

Diana, great rock song by Heart. They were indeed the greatest female rock band around in the 70s and 80s. Can’t think of anyone else who came close as a female rock band in those days.

• Bill Isenberg

29/06/2021 at 13:30

Wow a bit behind here gang, sorry been a bit busy with Maddie playing softball and all stars. But 1975 was a great year for rock and roll. everything posted here so far hits it on spot. 1976 turned more towards disco but still a bit of rock with Steve Miller , Aerosmith , Kiss, etc….and Peter Frampton. Which leads me back to the twins live album. Again 4 people, drums, bass and 2 guitars and lovely voices go figure. That album is so packed with great music you forget that it is only 4 people making it happen.

Page 2 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!