MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion A Hard Day’s Night, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and other film music

• David Herrick

19/09/2021 at 22:00

Jung, it’s great to know that I’m not the only one who saw “The End”! So many big names in that film, and I think that was my first experience with all of them. It’s still the only Burt Reynolds movie I’ve ever seen.

I found a clip on YouTube where Burt and Kristy appear together on the Mike Douglas show, and Burt said that he specifically asked for Kristy to be cast as his daughter.

• Jung Roe

20/09/2021 at 19:29

Hi Jurgen, that is a beautiful version of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”. I haven’t heard it before, thanks! It’s amazing how they can change or vary the mood of a song by enhancing a certain part of it by stripping away everything but just the vocal or a guitar voice. I haven’t seen the Beatles “Love” film, and I should make a point to see it and all their other movies like A Hard Day’s Night too. There is the Who’s Tommy too.

MLTs “Walking In The Air” I agree is another one that just captures my spirit and would make a magnificent sound track for a movie. It’s amazing how Mona and Lisa converted that classical piece to a rock version that sounds even better with more emotional depth. There is also their “Sweet Lorraine”, that conjures up a murder mystery comedy kind of story that could be brilliant. The full album version has a “Penny Lane” kind of elegance to it and the Duo Session acoustic version has such a superb melodic guitar run through it, it’s hypnotic, and Mona and Lisa’s vocals are so sweet to boil over anyone. Love both versions, and should appear as the movie score.

• Jung Roe

20/09/2021 at 19:38

Hi David, I saw that Mike Douglas show too when they interviewed Kristy and Burt Reynolds about the movie The End. Burt Reynolds was a big mentor for her. It was a great movie. Deliverance and Smoky and The Bandit were the two big Reynolds films I recall back then that he was really good in.

Here is a priceless scene from The End.

https://youtu.be/9qdMVMCGr48

• David Herrick

20/09/2021 at 20:15

Jung, that scene really encapsulates the range of emotions that that movie puts you through! Overall it’s an absurdist comedy, but it becomes so grounded and real whenever it’s about his relationship with his daughter.

And just to tie in with my initial comment, for those who haven’t seen the film, My Way plays immediately before this scene as he swims out into the ocean.

• Diana Geertsen

21/09/2021 at 07:50

This is such a great topic Jorgen. I’ll probably have to chime in a few times. First of all I’m a big indie movie fan. I go to the Sundance Film Festival every year. I think MLT could do some great things with that genre.

I love so many different soundtracks. Often. I love the sound track and find the movie only mildly entertaining. One example. ‘Flightless Bird, American Mouth’ by Iron and Wine (Twilight)

https://youtu.be/RGVmhrfQqzg

• Jürgen

21/09/2021 at 16:42

Hello Diana,

welcome to the party. Very nice that you join us again. Sundance Film Festival, that sounds very interesting. Where exactly does this take place? I also like indipendent films sometimes very much and I think they are an important part of film culture. They form a significant counterpart to the dominant Hollywood productions. We also have a few small so-called “arthouse cinemas” here with us who liked to show Indi films. For example, the productions of French, German or Finnish film producers, such as Aki Kaurismäki, away from the big mainstream cinema. This kind of cinema were small, cozy Movie Theaters with a nice old-fashioned ambience. Unfortunately, these hardly exist anymore after the big cinema chains (or centers) have spread. In my native town of Oberhausen, the International Short Film Festival takes place every year. There, up-and-coming, innovative but rather unknown artists were able to present their works. The festival attracted international attention and the film offer was accordingly diverse.

The song “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” sounds dreamlike beautiful. I like it very much. Thanks.

• Diana Geertsen

21/09/2021 at 08:18

I’m not a James Bond movie fan, but there is sure great music

https://youtu.be/WtceXbKIfd0

• Jürgen

21/09/2021 at 18:49

James Bond film music. Almost a topic in its own right. Thank you Diana for inserting “The World is not enough” by the band Garbage (the song sounds great) and “Live and Let Die” by the Wings. Some of the James Bond films are forgotten almost as quickly as you watched them. But there are also some outstanding films in this series. And you’re right, the music for the James Bond movies is usually very good. “Live and Let Die” actually dances a bit out of line, because the song doesn’t really sound like James Bond music. But it is also a very nice song (a typical Paul Mc Cartney song). My favorite Bond Theme doesn’t sound particularly like James Bond either, but I think it’s one of Duran Duran’s best songs.

https://youtu.be/HTj8EoVNqhw

• Diana Geertsen

21/09/2021 at 09:18

I also love a good horror movie. ‘The Shining’ is one of my all-time favorites. Of course, Berlioz ‘Symphony Fantastique is the perfect accompaniment.

https://youtu.be/DW3-GTX0r2M

• Jürgen

22/09/2021 at 04:56

Yes “The Shining” is a masterpiece. Disturbing, unsettling and very good. Just like Jack Nicholson. One of the best Stephen King film adaptations.

• Jacki Hopper

21/09/2021 at 17:23

I love movie soundtracks, and I love the Star Wars movies with Harrison/Carrie/Mark in them, not a fan of prequels… I loved Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of Third Kind, Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Coyote Ugly, Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, Muriel ‘s Wedding, Mamma Mia 1 &2, Footloose, Wayne’s World 1&2, some James Bond movie soundtracks, Pulp Fiction, etc.

I like some Musicals soundtracks too, like CATS, West Side Story, Grease, etc…

Great topic Jurgen….????

• Jürgen

21/09/2021 at 19:38

Hi Jackie, thanks for your posting. Well, looks like we have almost the same taste in film. Of the Star Wars movies, I also like the three parts shot first the best. The prequels are visually impressive, but the plot is rather mediocre and doesn’t exude the charm of the early StarWars movies. The only exception is the part “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”. I saw it recently and I liked it. Waynes World was also funny. Totally crazy, but good. Of course, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings are also among my favorites (I devoured the books twice. For a third time I couldn’t get up and luckily there is now the film trilogy) What do you think of Avatar, The Fifth Element, Indiana Jones and The Mummy trilogy? Yeah, there are so damn many, good movies. Also fine that you mention Mama Mia, (we always watch the movie on New Year’s Eve), wait I have an idea….

https://youtu.be/DUjB9LTtzGg

• Jürgen

22/09/2021 at 17:23

Another musical classic that should not be missing in this topic: “The Wizard of Oz”. I saw the film for the first time as a child and this song has accompanied me almost all my life. Always beautiful and enchanting.

https://youtu.be/PSZxmZmBfnU

• David Herrick

23/09/2021 at 21:40

One of my favorite musical moments in The Wizard of Oz is the abrupt transition from the sweetness of Somewhere Over the Rainbow to the menacing theme song of Miss Gulch. It’s so jarring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kiXh8YOzk

• Jürgen

24/09/2021 at 06:33

Yes David, you are right. Now that I see the scene again (after many years), I remember. At this point in the plot, evil has not only a face, but also a bicycle. In the film, the scene really seemed very threatening. Most of the other passages in the film seem cheerful and spread a carefree, optimistic mood. But this changes very quickly, because the evil witch of the West appears to avenge her slain sister. The poison-green appearance, but also the flying monkeys that are supposed to capture the companions, seem very threatening. A really well-made mood picture in the film. Cheerful, exuberant mood suddenly becomes something very threatening and deadly.

I also find the characters original: The lion without courage, the iron man without a heart and the scarecrow without a mind. All three have had the properties for a long time, but have yet to find out. That’s how we humans often feel in life. We have many good qualities or abilities that we don’t know about, but we only have to find out in the course of life that we already own them.

• Jacki Hopper

25/09/2021 at 04:07

Well, it’s nice to know we share alot of similar movie/musicals tastes on here for this topic, I live West Side Story, To Sir With Love, Ghost, Dirty Dancing, Grease, etc… not a fan however of Celine Dion nor the Titanic movie…..lol….

We must All be in the same age bracket more or less to mentioning the movie/musical choices ….????

• Jürgen

25/09/2021 at 10:27

Hi Jacki, thanks for reply. Yes, that fits well. I think there are so many wonderful, exciting, impressive and captivating movies, but also series that have been shown on TV at some point, they all have no place here. What a pity.

• Jung Roe

25/09/2021 at 06:47

Jacki, yeah all those many movies you mentioned, I think I’ve seen them all too. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind had quite the big hit song back in the day I remember.

Diana, there certainly were a lot of great 007 movie songs. My favourite of them all would be Sheena Easton’s “For Your Eyes Only”.

Jurgen, “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” is an awesome song. Have you heard the “Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World” variation by Israel Kamakawiwo in the 90s? He made the song somewhat famous and it featured in some movies like Brad Pitts “Meet Joe Black”. Israel plays it with the Uke. Would love to hear an MLT version of this one one day. With Lisa’s Uke and Mona and Lisa’s harmonies, I can imagine the magic they could do with this one.

https://youtu.be/BDoId2uDcgo

• Jürgen

25/09/2021 at 10:32

Yes Jung this version of “Somewhere over the rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo is just wonderful. It awakens in me feelings of wanderlust. White endless beaches, Palm fronds that swing gently in the wind and the wide of the South Sea where the setting sun is reflected in warm yellow and orange tones. I had already thought that this was film music. But I didn’t know which film the music belonged to, thank you. I could also imagine Mona and Lisa reinterpreting this song in a wonderful way.

“For your Eyes only” is also a great James Bond title. Yes, probably the most soulful title.

https://youtu.be/FTXLhEk3J8E

• Jürgen

25/09/2021 at 15:14

For me one of the most beautiful love movies of recent years: About Time. Sympathetic actors, a very original plot and the actually very serious Topic dying and transience sensitively implemented. A film to laugh, to think and sometimes deeply sad. But all in all: just beautiful.

https://youtu.be/7OIFdWk83no?t=5

• Jung Roe

25/09/2021 at 21:04

Hi Jurgen, “About Time” sounds intriguing and touching. Love the premise of the movie, and always dreamt of being able to turn back the hands of time. Time fascinates me how it (space and time) can bend through the influence of gravity and speed as Einstein proved. Time is faster in the high mountain peaks compared to at sea level for instance kind of stuff. Will check out the movie, I think I will like it.

• Jürgen

25/09/2021 at 21:49

I am glad that the movie has aroused your interest. You will definitely like it, Jung. Yes, I also love everything that has to do with time and time travel. This opens up fantastic perspectives (but beware of the butterfly effect…)

PS: Thanks for the hint about time. Now I also know why time sometimes runs so slowly with us: we live just 29 meters (round about 95 ft) above sea level. And sometimes when I get out of the chair too quickly, I have the feeling that the light spectrum shifts into the red area. But it can also only be due to my high blood pressure. 🙂

• Jürgen

26/09/2021 at 14:10

At this point, I would like to thank all those who have contributed to this topic. For your patience, for the many beautiful ideas and suggestions I have received and some films that I really want to see now. For me it was a wonderful, interesting journey through the world of film music. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/nn5hrIiPbDs

Page 2 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!