MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion A Memory Test. Your First Record Purchase

• Claude Biarritz

20/12/2018 at 22:20

The first record I paid myself might be “5 Etwal” by Zenglen back in 2007.

Still one of my favorite album, I spent the night looking at the cover art, I didn’t have anything to play it and had to wait for my dad to sleep so I could use the car or his laptop._OpenImageFolder

• Robert Blume

21/12/2018 at 00:54

Hi Claude,

I don’t know too much about current Caribbean music….or the artists who play it.  I just know I like it. After reading your post I spent the past hour listening to and enjoying Zenglen and other Haitian kompa music. Thank you.

Seattle Bob

• David Herrick

12/05/2019 at 18:35

I was a kid in the 70’s, and I didn’t like disco music, so my choices weren’t exactly chart toppers.

My first album purchase was by mail order from a TV commercial.  It was “The Music of America”, a collection of about 30 historical songs sung by a choir, celebrating the U.S. bicentennial in 1976.  They were grouped by category:  patriotic, spiritual, war, regional, Stephen Foster, etc.  Nothing special, but I was impressed by the bridges they wrote to connect groups of songs into medleys.

About a year later I bought an album at Kmart called “Fonzie’s Favorites”, which consisted of various hits (the original recordings, actually) from the late 50’s and early 60’s, with a big picture of the Fonz on the cover.  Unfortunately they added some schlock such as a Fonzie theme song, and a so-called “impressionist track” where someone who sounded nothing like the Fonz kept repeating his catch phrases so that you could… fool your friends, maybe?

And that was it for me until I discovered the 60’s in the 80’s.

• Daniel Smith

13/05/2019 at 01:39

The first album I ever bought was Ramblin’ Rose, by Nat King Cole.  Not exactly rock and roll.  My first 45 rpm single actually came as a freebee in a box of potato chips:  Baby Workout by Jackie Wilson.  My first rock and roll album was The Beatles’ Second Album.  I’m not sure what the equivalent British album is.  Prior to that, all of my record purchases were those of singers my mom liked:  Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, Frankie Lane, etc.

• John Behle

13/05/2019 at 03:02

“Wipeout” by the Safaris.  That was the song for a drummer at the time – until “in a Gadda Davida (however it’s spelled) came along.  First album was Quicksilver Messenger Service.  (Actually it might have been “The Silly Surfers” – but I didn’t want to admit that 🙂

I was lucky.   My sister had already bought most of the early Beatles albums, so I tried not to scratch those.  Didn’t want to end up tied up, upside down in the clothes hamper again – or in the dryer.   I loved the Herman’s Hermits album we had also.   “I’m ‘enery the eight I am” and “Turn, turn, turn”.

• Michael Rife

13/05/2019 at 03:16

I’m kinda fuzzy on the first 45 I bought.  It was either Hey, Little Cobra or Sugar Shack.  Now the first album I bought was definitely Meet The Beatles (kinda like With The Beatles in UK and Europe.  Mike

• Jacki Hopper

13/05/2019 at 22:37

Though I can’t pinpoint exactly what all/when  my first records(albums & 45s/cassette tapes were bought and of but I do recall a few… And I still have somewheres packed away… My Glass Tiger and Duran2 stuff… A mixture of other genres… Beatles is in there…. I had exposure to all kinds of music in my house growing up as my parents enjoyed (country music/Doris Day /Connie Francis/BigBand/Elvis&etc) and my older siblings(Rock n roll/country/Blues/Bluegrass/Southern RocknRoll/etc)… .. Not was very keen on Disco but I did enjoy decent dance to Grove music… If I liked to dance to it… That was good choice… If I liked dancing/singing along/airguitaring-airdrumming/airpiano… Well… A bonus… Lol

• Paul Rivenburgh

15/05/2019 at 01:29

I can’t remember for sure what was the first 45 but the first album I ever bought was Holdon Im Comin by Sam and Dave.

• Roger

17/06/2019 at 01:18

Wipe Out with Surfer Joe on the B side…a 45.  Good grief…that was a long time ago.

Roger

• Howard

17/06/2019 at 01:48

Well Roger, ‘Wipe Out’ with ‘Surfer Joe’ on the B side was also one of my very early 45’s, purchased second hand from a school mate like all my early records were. Terrible recording really. Way too much treble!

• Michael Rife

17/06/2019 at 06:23

First 45 was Sugar Shack in 1963.  The first album was Meet The Beatles in 1964.  I was 10 years old when I bought the album and it cost something like $3.99 which meant I must have saved up my $1 allowance which I received every two weeks for awhile.  45s were around $1 each at the time.  Anyway I still have the Meet the Beatles LP but it is not playable.  Mike.

• Jacki Hopper

17/06/2019 at 15:00

Lol… I was a kid in the 70s… Teen yrs were the 80s…etc so I think I probably had my first albums late 70s…only 2 albums that standout of mine that were either given to me as bday/Xmas gifts or bought for me because I didn’t have the money for them  were: SYLVIA: Nobody album and the Grease movie soundtrack…. I bought more 45s and albums/cassette tapes in my teen years… Then moved onto CDs…. I do have MLT’s Orange in vinyl…. The only 2 45’s that whose category would be considered off the wall for me that I have… “You Light Up My Life-Debby Boone” (I guess I liked that song as a kid – lol) and “Willy’s Ol Teller Pickup Truck”…. How or why I have that one… I can’t recall… Maybe won it as a prize at a local fair onetime as a kid for playing one of those fair midway games…. The song sounded as crazy as the title as you can imagine.  But to be fair… My parents and older siblings had a variety but sort of distinctive music genres of music tastes so the old 8 tracks… 45s…albums and cassette tapes were varied and therefore I was exposed to different things and thus shaped my own music flavorings of choice (In my opinion, my family have good mudic tastes)

Page 3 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!