MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion About Mona’s Rickenbacker 350v63

• About Mona’s Rickenbacker 350v63

Posted by Jung Roe on 10/02/2020 at 06:54

I was interested in learning a little more about Mona’s beautiful Rickenbacker 350v63 electric guitar seen in the latest “Tired of Waiting” Duo session, and you also see a red one in their “Bus Stop” video.  This video describes Mona’s Rickenbacker in a little more detail, followed by the 2nd video by a professional guitarist who puts it through it’s paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_5Q36wLdo

Sheryl Crow used the Ricky 350v63 at a John Lennon 75th birthday commemoration  concert.

Jung Roe replied 4 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Jung Roe

10/02/2020 at 06:58

https://youtu.be/lXgRauL1r2k

A professional guitarists takes the Rickenbacker 350v63 (a direct descendant of John Lennon’s legendary Rickenbacker 325) through it’s paces.

• Thomas Randall

11/02/2020 at 23:24

Such a sweet guitar, I’d love to get one some day.

• Jung Roe

12/02/2020 at 07:44

Indeed Thomas these are beautiful guitars, especially the glossy red one!  I think the one Mona plays in Bus Stop is a red Rickenbacker 350.  But someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• Jacki Hopper

17/02/2020 at 02:07

It’s Fab looking regardless of what colour /model style it is??

• Jung Roe

17/02/2020 at 03:42

How about a metallic purple Rickenbacker 350v63 Jacki!  🙂   You’re starting to get me into metallic purple, well I always liked Deep Purple, as does MLT with their Smoke on The Water!

Rickenbacker 350v63 metallic purple

• David Herrick

17/02/2020 at 04:45

There’s also the song “Deep Purple”, which I’d love to see MLT take a crack at.  It would give Mona a great opportunity to exercise her harmonica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDbXEk9USE

• Howard

17/02/2020 at 05:35

That song would have to be one of Jacki’s favourites for sure David. As far as guitars go though, I think this one was designed for Mona:

“Fender’s new limited Blonde Player Tele delivers affordable ’51 Nocaster tones.

A Butterscotch Blonde bombshell with Fender Custom Shop ’51 Nocaster pickups?

This limited run has Fender Custom Shop ’51 Nocaster single-coils; possibly the ultimate Tele pickup the company now makes.

They are designed to sound just like the original. Flush mounted Alnico 3 magnets, enamel coated magnet wire and a zinc shielding plate offer the signature twang but with creamy warmer midrange for a very usable versatility.”

08D75CF3-0103-4219-B20D-C42B0CC564CC

• Jacki Hopper

17/02/2020 at 13:49

Yeppers… All Purple Shades, metallic or otherwise in a dream guitar for me…

Yes I like that song David mentioned, Purple People Eater, Purple Rain…. Lol.. For the Luv of ?

• Jung Roe

17/02/2020 at 20:55

Deep Puple.  Nice song David.  April Stevens reminds me of a young Mary Tyler Moore from the Dick Van Dyke show.

• David Herrick

17/02/2020 at 21:50

You’re right, Jung.  I knew she looked familiar somehow.  She could definitely turn the world on with her smile.

A couple of bits of trivia about this song from Wikipedia:

It won the 1963 Grammy Award for best rock-and-roll record.  (I find that incomprehensible!)

The band Deep Purple took their name from this song.  The original version, a piano composition from the 1930’s, was the favorite song of Ritchie Blackmore’s grandmother.

This version of the song is notable for April Stevens’ speaking the lyrics in a low and sweet voice during the second half of the song while her brother sings. According to the Billboard Book of Number One Hits by Fred Bronson, when the duo first recorded the song as a demo, Tempo forgot the words, and Stevens spoke the lyrics to the song to remind him. The record’s producers thought Stevens’ spoken interludes were “cute” and should be included on the finished product, but according to Stevens, her brother was not as easily convinced: “He didn’t want anyone talking while he was singing!”

• David Herrick

28/06/2020 at 18:25

I just realized that the ending of the Beach Boys’ “The Man with All the Toys” is pretty much identical to the ending of “Deep Purple”.  And “Deep Purple” came out a year before the Beach Boys’ Christmas album!

• Jung Roe

28/06/2020 at 21:53

The ending with the vocals repeating Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah with the harmonica sounds quite similar indeed on both songs.  Looks like Brian Wilson was a fan of Nino and April’s song Deep Purple.  In the early days the Beach Boys certainly took inspiration from others, I guess as did everyone.

• Jung Roe

28/06/2020 at 22:07

That iconic guitar riff on the Beach Boys California Girls was done on Carl Wilson’s red Rickenbacker 360 12 string just like this one.  You can see Carl with his red Rickenbacker 360-12 doing the lead guitar in the Beach Boys California Girls video.  I will highlight this video because the guitar part by itself sounds so good too.

https://youtu.be/rPZSAhfLwac

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia where Brian Wilson talks about his inspiration around California Girls:

It goes back to 1965 when I was sitting in my apartment, wondering how to write a song about girls, because I love girls. I mean, everybody loves girls.”[10] He added in 2007, “I was thinking about the music from cowboy movies. And I sat down and started playing it, bum-buhdeeda, bum-buhdeeda. I did that for about an hour. I got these chords going. Then I got this melody, it came pretty fast after that.”[8] Inspiration came from the rhythm of “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring”.[9] In 2015, he explained: “‘California Girls’ had that beat — it’s called a shuffle beat — and that’s definitely a Bach influence.“[11]

• David Herrick

28/06/2020 at 23:00

That’s pretty cool, Jung!  It does sound great all by itself.  It looks like he’s doing that thing from the Chet Atkins video, playing rhythm notes with one or two fingers and melody with the rest.  I wonder what percentage of guitar players have mastered that skill.

• Jung Roe

29/06/2020 at 07:21

David, yes that is quite amazing how 2 or more voices can be played on the guitar which traditionally before Chet Atkins I presume was played with one voice.  On the piano you have two hands, so playing two voices is normal, but with guitar, it’s much more difficult.

BTW, I Get Around is another Beach Boys song with Bach influence.  Good ole Bach was busy influencing the great rock groups in the 60s.  🙂

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!