MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Absolute Best of the Best

• Absolute Best of the Best

Posted by Jung Roe on 26/12/2023 at 17:44

On Saturday I experienced the most beautiful musical moment that only Mona and Lisa can do, not the host of rock and singing legends of the past, not the great composers, not anyone in the musical firmament today. None can move me and pull my heart strings like you can.

For the month of the livestream you talked about the finale livestream and the music you would play, and holy smokes did you deliver on the 23rd!!! All I Want Christmas To Be, Hazy Shade of Winter, In It For Love, I Bought Myself a Politician, Edelweiss, Es wird scho glei dumpa were all heavenly. Your vocals/harmonies and guitar work were sublime, pure magic. I never had goose bumps last for so long before.

Thank you for such a mesmerizing beautiful experience. ✨🎶💕

Jung Roe replied 8 months, 1 week ago 10 Members · 93 Replies
  • 93 Replies
  • Roger Penn

26/12/2023 at 18:42

Indeed. I’ve listed to them all about 50 times since then. Priceless.

• Jacki Hopper

26/12/2023 at 23:46

I’m going to safely say that we’re all in Agreement Cahoots here and unified on your sentiments , Jung … I know I am , and this year’s edition is the Best One To Date …. Their Best Xmas Gift To/For Us All that they gave us to Embrace , and solidified–WHY and WHAT #MLTLuvBuzzGroovified Impact they have Bestowed Upon Us All Unequivocally to which we each Uniquely are further Enriched, Inspired, Uplifted from/because of them for the further betterment of the RAINBOWSPIRITSOULHEART Kaleidoscopic Odyssey Life Quest That We Are On In Our Own Ways, etc …. 🕊🌞🤘🏻☮️💜

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 06:09

Jacki,

You have a very weird, 60’s kinda Psychedelic way of saying things. You could have been in Mona & Lisa’s “Once Upon a Time” video, dressed up in some fancy tie-dyed Hippie Clothes! (And I mean that as a complement!) — Bud

• Jung Roe

27/12/2023 at 00:34

H Roger and Jacki

We are so lucky to have discovered MLT. We are certainly spoiled with unmatched quality in music they produce.

On Christmas morning I awoke to the CBC and they were playing Christmas music by some of the big artists today. I heard Taylor Swift’s rendition of “The Little Drummer Boy”, and it was so bland. She incorporated a lot of modern Wah, wah voice effects and tricks modern pop songs are so assimilated with. There was just nothing moving to draw me back for another listen. She tried to put a lot of feeling into her vocals, but it was just musically lacking. They played a few more classic Christmas songs by some other very popular artists today that I can’t even remember the name of, and just as well.

The musical talent of today’s pop artists can’t even be compared to MLT. Today’s mainstream chart topping music can be summed up with a simple phrase, “mediocrity prevails!”.

Well I shouldn’t be so critical and negative during the holidays festive spirit. 😉

• Daryl Jones

27/12/2023 at 17:05

I try not to be negative about artists/musicians too, but so many times the hype far exceeds the reality of the product. Taylor is one and for me Lady Gaga and Madonna are a couple others. If you have to rely on shock factor and “bling” to get your point through, then to me you are not in that upper echelon of artistry. Nor do they deserve my admiration. Call me fussy.

Mona and Lisa are truly “real” and I have huge respect for their efforts (and Rudi/Michaela too) and obviously the results speak for themselves. I am not a believer in the use of “auto-tune” nor am I at all thrilled with the advent of AI and the production of AI generated music tracks.
      A motorcycle race pal of mine is a friend of Tom Scholtz (Boston’s lead guitarist and production headman) and although Tom is a bit of a hard case personality wise, he still believes in writing and producing music “the old fashioned” analog way. I can’t say I disagree with his opinion given their results either. Tom is a wizard and master of overdubs and layered tracking on their records…and they are extremely hard to play all by yourself because of it. I don’t have a looper and even if I did, I doubt I could do a solo effort on many of their songs. I can jam to some of them, but the whole deal is a different matter entirely. Def Leppard is another example of old school (modern? rick-ish) production, and many of their singles that found airplay on radio and video channels required a good deal of “learning” to play live when they toured. It’s very hard to do live what you can lay down in the studio. Also why greats like The Eagles and ZZ Top toured with a huge entourage of players (even symphonies) for fill-ins on live performances.
      Before I ramble on too far, I recognize that Taylor Swift is a phenomenon and she knows how to play to a crowd successfully, at least monetarily. But if the crowd is blinded as to what makes a great musical performance (at least my definition of one) and only see’s the hype, there is zero need for me to be in attendance or support of them.

• Jung Roe

28/12/2023 at 00:23

Hi Daryl

Taylor Swift is certainly a phenomenon, but it’s not because of good music. I saw a good program a little while ago, about how the music industry capitalizes on “hooks” in music, certain canned vocal sounds that when played often enough through very similar assimilated music that they push out in streaming media, it has an addictive effect, and the crowds start to crave it. it’s not good music, just canned music people have gotten drawn and addicted to.

When I took a gander through the top 10 Bill Board Charts recently when the Beatles Now and Then song was released a few weeks ago, all the top 10 stuff sounded similar, with a set of common hooks and off the shelf vocal mixes. If you are young and you stream that stuff all day and night, soon you get addicted to it, and the brain thinks it’s good music. That’s how the record labels along with streaming services and Apple and Samsung work together to keep feeding the golden goose with assimilated artists producing the same regurgitated sound in molded music that the industry has determined is good music and is what shall be promoted. “Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated”… is what todays music industry is all about. Rick Beato has some pretty good videos about the sad state the music industry is in with bland music that dominates the charts.

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 05:41

Well said Daryl! — Bud

• Johnnypee Parker

28/12/2023 at 00:00

MLT fans are the best. And now we have complete MLT withdrawal. If anyone is looking for me, I’ll be parked down by the lake.

• Jung Roe

28/12/2023 at 00:28

MLT withdrawal indeed. JP, I will be in the other car at the lake too, a few hundred feet away.

• David Herrick

28/12/2023 at 01:30

MLT listening party down by the lake, everyone! Followed by dinner at the best Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe.

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 05:42

Johnnypee,

I’ll be “in a van, down by the river!” — Bud

• Daryl Jones

28/12/2023 at 01:33

Jung, I totally get where you are coming from on that hook. My ex sister-in-law worked in the industry for many years. Many of these music “stars” are actually fabricated by the record labels themselves based on what they see as a visual or “attractive” package. What gets offered up for sale to the public is largely electronic slight of hand and most of these “hero” figures can’t perform live on stage if their lives depended on it. They will even go so far as to fabricate a life background to garner a sympathetic edge that a gullible public will eat up like candy. We have a (now middle aged) Canadian female country superstar that fits that model to perfection. And there’s always Biebs to drive that point home.

Sad really, there’s some very talented young people out there that will never get that type of backing.

• Jung Roe

29/12/2023 at 17:57

Hi Daryl

Here is an interesting video that gets to the heart of why music is so lame today. I advanced it to the part where it talks about why today’s mainstream music is so mediocre and uninspired, but the whole video is interesting.

https://youtu.be/e73lP4FrU0A?si=NnBrv0VU199-ezZu&t=688

• Daryl Jones

29/12/2023 at 19:34

Boy, he really nailed it! What he said is just so true, sort of like those canned audience responses from the old television shows with the laughter and the sighs when everything was actually recorded on a sound stage in a studio.
      There was an episode of the old “Brady Bunch” where Greg (?) was going to become a teen pop star. The record company loved him. Not because he was possibly a great upcoming talent, but because he fit “Johnny Bravo’s” “SUIT”!
      Sadly, that’s what much of the recording industry has actually become.

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 05:38

Jung,

(OK, I’m putting off practice too long, and need to get to it!) For me, I like to listen for the THREE MAIN ELEMENTS in Music. If these elements aren’t interesting to listen to right away, I won’t listen for very long. What are they? See if you can name them first before I list them.

To me, it doesn’t matter if Music is New, Old or Very old, as long as it’s good! I love Jazz, but I don’t have to like every Jazz tune or artist. The same goes for Rock, or any other genre of Music.

If the Melody isn’t interesting, there’s not much that I’ll find to enjoy in a song. If the Rhythm & Harmonies aren’t pleasing, or are just too simplistic, then I just won’t waste my time listening. That said, sometimes Simplicity & Repetition can be beautiful; but not always!

Other elements are the Quality of Tone or overall Sound. The Style, Phrasing, Artistry and/or Soul of the instrumentalist or singer that projects these things really makes it or breaks it for me. Also important are the quality of the Interaction between the Musicians/Singers, along with the range of Dynamics, (loud, medium or soft,) the Flexibility of Sound, & Technical Ability. The construction or (Form) of the Song & Improvisational ability in the Storytelling of the piece can bring Music to life. Also, what’s the Overall Affect or Feeling that the song or piece has on the listener? (Everyone may have a different take on this.)

Other important ingredients: Balance, overall Blend & Intonation. And not just individual people being in tune, but EVERYONE being In-Tune together. And being In-Time & Rhythmically together! Then there’s Correct Notes, though everyone at times can make a note mistake. But you can’t be Rhythmically off! Everyone’s Phrasing has to match! Musicians/Singers are really Multi-Tasking all the time, which necessitates a great deal of practice, patience, self-control, teamwork, dedication, ability & coordination, plus intelligence in split second musical decisions!

Also, great Musicians/Singers project their Own Personalities, Humanity, Beauty & Sense of Humor, or even Happiness, Sadness or Tragedy into everything that they do! Most Musicians first copy others, & then learn to create their Own Personal Styles!

Just because Music is new doesn’t automatically mean that it’s great. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean that it’s bad! I can see that many listeners today just don’t have much knowledge of various Musical Styles down through history! If they DID, they wouldn’t be fooled by much of today’s extremely BORING Music, which often emphasizes violence, vulgarity, sex, extreme macho images etc, with a corresponding lack of Musical Integrity.

I don’t want to put down Taylor S, though she’s not my style preference. She does have a big following, & I like her political views. Now I DO like Lady Gaga! At first, I was underwhelmed by her own material, but when I heard her do some Jazz Swing, & sing with Tony Bennett, Wow! She really knows that style & has a great voice, & she’s honest & funny too! (And weird also, but then who ISN’T?)

I try not to put down Rap, because it’s an important form of Music, & I don’t want to turn off some of my students. But for me, I’d rather hear melody. There are a few Rap things I like, but only if there’s some interesting music to go with it! Now if it’s a Drum Solo, or African Drum group with no melody, that’s fine! I really enjoy that stuff! But Drum Ensembles often add Marimbas too!

Also, most Musicians don’t write their own Music, although they still serve a very useful purpose, even if just for their own enjoyment! And Composers & Band Leaders need lots of Musicians to play their creations!

I know that with better Music Education, more people will enjoy much more variety in Musical Styles, than say just one style. And that’s healthy for the Art of Music & the overall Peace & Happiness in the World!

I know that the MLT–4 all listen to a variety of Music, & it shows in the diverse styles that they play, so GOOD ON THEM!! And they show their Command of all the Musical Elements that I mentioned above. That’s one reason why I like them SO MUCH!

— Bud

• Jung Roe

30/12/2023 at 08:52

Hi Bud,

Thank you for your thoughtful and valuable insight. Being a music teacher, I know you look at music from all perspective and depth. I agree, whatever the genre/style and what ever the time period, new or old, there is just good music and not so good music, and all the elements melody, rhythm, and harmonies play critical factors if the music is good or not. I also find melody is the most important aspect for me. If I find the the song has a melody I like, then I tune in. In the post Beatles solo careers, I was always drawn to more of Paul McCartney’s (melody genius) solo works over the others, though John Lennon had some amazing ones like “Imagine”, which is perhaps my favourite of the FAB4 solo songs.

To your point also I learned the musician’s unique perspective/experience makes a huge difference. When I first got into classical music, I bought up a whole bunch of CDs of Beethoven and Mozart’s piano works, oblivious to who actually played the piano, thinking it will all sound the same. I wasted a lot of money initially. Then as I got more and more immersed in the music and heard other version by different pianists in some of the classical radio stations, I found certain pieces I thought was just OK, was actually remarkable by another. One musician that made a huge difference for me was Glenn Gould and his Bach keyboard works. Bach was always too abstract for me initially preferring Beethoven, Mozart, and Chopin. But Glenn Gould’s interpretations were very pronounced on every note almost, that it made Bach’s keyboard works suddenly come alive. So now I have most of Bach’s piano works exclusively by Glenn Gould only. I also was lost to a lot of Bach’s Violin solo pieces until I came across interpretation by Arthur Grumiaux that made Bach’s Violin works suddenly come alive. Listening to other performers, it is not the same.

I always felt with rock music, especially Beatles and Beach Boys, a cover by anyone was not worth the time. Why listen to a cover by someone else, when you can listen to the Beatles and Beach Boys original version. Well that all changed when I came across MLT. Their interpretation, especially with the harmonies, add another dimension to the songs. For example, the Beach Boys God Only Knows I listened to for decades was a good song, but it wasn’t until I heard Mona and Lisa’s take on it, that I realized just how amazing that song is! All of the covers MLT do are like that. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a great song, but MLTs version when I first heard it is out of this world! I lost interest in rock/pop by about the late 90s in favour of classical because there was nothing interesting any more, and I was tired of the old stuff. Mona and Lisa brought me back to the Rock/Pop genre with their originals and covers as they breathed new life into the music.

In the female super star realm, while I was not familiar with Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift’s music, I did enjoy some of Madonna’s stuff over the years, in fact some of her later songs I thought were brilliant, and is a culmination of her decades of experience coming together. It’s her “Power of Goodbye”, and “Frozen” I think are some of the best works by any pop artist.

With current pop music today, I think the problem is that it lacks creativity and innovation. It’s just the same “pop formula” being recreated over and over again. It all sounds the same. And I think it is because the Record Labels are unwilling to take any risk with promoting new sounds and innovation, and are only willing to promote an artist that will fit into their mold singing songs that conform to their “pop formula” that they feel will make money. And they rely on “familiarity” that the current listeners are brain washed and addicted to. It’s a cash cow for the record labels.

I found this brilliant video about what is wrong with the music industry today a few years ago, and I think it sums it all up. The future of rock/pop music is in the hands of MLT and other independent artists, as mainstream pop/rock music is dying. If you have a chance, I would love to know what you think of this video Bud from your professional perspective.

Music today as an art form is dying, and here is why.

https://youtu.be/oVME_l4IwII?si=DHVZUUZNNP-ZJjt5

Happy New Year

Jung

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 20:55

Jung,

That was a very intelligent, thorough & inciteful reply, thank you! I’ve seen that video before that you just sent, but I’d kind of spot-checked thru different parts of it. This time I watched over 1/2 of it, & I like his incites & info here. I feel the same, that Music, (& civilization,) has taken a downward turn, & it’s going to take some maneuvering to get it back — if possible!

I’ll get back to you later, as I have a bunch of stuff to do, & I’m leaving right now.

Take care! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 06:01

Jung,

The video that Michael Noland did here has some very interesting points! I listened to most of it and will finish tomorrow. Thanks for your help today on hitting “Reply” to find my lost work! I found it, and then spent WAAAYY too long finishing it, but I still got my guitar practice in. Now tomorrow I’ve got to get more serious about getting a lot more done. TOO much rest is for the wicked (ha-ha,) so I’d better get back on track!

Have a nice end to your year! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 05:52

I agree, and also there is ABBA. If you just look at them superficially, they appear to be a Glam– type Disco group in weird clothes, with a couple of barbie dolls up front for appeal. But if you listen to the depth, quality & variety of interesting music they put out, & find out about their complicated real lives, then you start to realize how good they really were! And THEY were highly influenced by the Beatles, but they sure did things their own way, creating their own style! True, they did have a few overly loud songs, not up to the quality of their best work. But their voices & interesting arrangements have held their appeal over the last over 50 years!

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 06:21

Daryl,

My last response was supposed to be to you. I agree with your statement that some pop stars seem to be more into “image” than “substance.” But then there are groups like ABBA, who on the surface seem to be more about looks & image, but then when you listen without looking, & find out more about them, they really had a lot to offer the listener. Their later stuff was among their best! (Some may not agree, but their music has stood the test of time! — Bud

ABBA Slipping Through My Fingers (Live Vocals, Dick Cavett Show 1981) Enhanced Audio HD (youtube.com)

• Daryl Jones

30/12/2023 at 16:05

Can’t help but agree on that Bud. ABBA was certainly about visual appeal in many ways, but if you took the time to get deeper into the music itself there was far more going on than just two incredibly beautiful women. The girls took their vocals very seriously and were perfectionists in it. Benny was not much different in the way he approached the arrangements, he and Bjorn were very particular about the resulting numbers and how they were to be done. But the same can be said for just about all successful groups. You have to get beneath the surface and really see and hear the depth of what’s making it work. There are many super groups that had to take a whole army of support with them on tours to try and reproduce live what they accomplished so perfectly in the studio. ABBA was one of them, the Eagles, Def Leppard, ZZ Top… countless numbers of them had a hoard of live musicians to play the necessary fills, or tons of backing tracks played recorded parts or the stage version songs were too radically light/empty in comparison to the albums. And that doesn’t often make the crowds completely happy.
      In 1980 I wouldn’t have walked across the street for free to see AC/DC play. I always considered Angus Young as a bit of a stage freak with his school boy getup and lame (to my thinking) imitation of Chuck Berry’s guitar hop. But I also had zero love for Kiss at the same time, for much the same reason. Now however, having played several AC/DC songs (although admittedly not well) Angus was and is a whole lot more than just a loud power chord hammer and nails player. He’s articulate with them to a fault, and he never used a ton of effects to get his uniquely measured level of distortion/overdrive. Just a simple VHF box that pushed his amps to the breaking point (and often beyond) that few if any can ever duplicate. And I always considered his late brother Malcom to be a much better player than he. But Angus’ key was not only the simplicity in his riffs and playing, but his incredible accuracy and flat out drive in the way he played. Totally fearless and in your face raw power. While many will cover their songs, there are certainly not very many that will accomplish the feat of reproducing what they did.

• Jung Roe

30/12/2023 at 18:23

Hi Daryl

Agree, the music industry today is more interested in finding acts that will fit their mold, and the record labels/promotors are very rigid. With the Beatles, their Mersey Beat sound, initially got them attention, but back then groups could still create and innovate and drive the direction of their music. There was still room for artistry in the music. Though with Brian Wilson, Capital certainly did not support him when he decided to grow past Surfing and car songs to more complex and innovative sounds, but he still did and there were other record labels and promotors who would support him. That is not the case today. I hope you get a chance to see the other video I posted last night.

I always found AC/DC lyrics and subject matter juvenile and that part never appealed to me, but Angus and Malcolm Young’s driving guitar work at one point mesmerized me. For me their powerful instrumentation work had the same effect as some of Beethoven and Bach’s instrumental wizardry. Took me to the same place. Now the refined music of classical is much preferred for me, but occasionally I do enjoying turning up the volume of an old AC/DC song if I hear it on the radio or something. I liked more of their earlier stuff during the Bon Scott days. “It’s a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘n’ Roll)”

• Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 20:47

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for responding, & I will get back to you later. I have to leave right now & do a bunch of errands & chores.

Have a great day! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 00:01

Daryl, Jung et al,

I’ve been reading your posts today, & we have a very good discussion going on! I’m enjoying reading what everyone has to say! I want to reply more, but I just have too much going on right now, so I’ll leave a few comments.

I don’t worry too much about being politically correct, but I try not to hurt other peoples’ feelings.
      Everyone has Music that they enjoy more over other kinds & I respect that! I’m glad that Mona & Lisa have all the Cavern gigs on video, plus all the Duo Sessions, to prove that they can perform live, just the two of them, and as a 4-piece Band. The Livestreams are great too, because we can see that there are very few mistakes there. When they do mess up briefly, (though rarely,) it’s funny, and we can see they’re human like the rest of us! (But on a higher level!)

I can understand why groups like ABBA & many others would often supplement their TV appearances with recordings. Maybe they were worried that the big, layered sound that they’d produced in the studio wouldn’t sound the same live — & they were correct of course! Today it’s easier to produce that big sound live. But when I see Paul live, I really want to hear HIS VOICE, in the moment, & not a recording!

So, THANKS MONA & LISA for all your tremendous efforts & work! You really pulled off your performances in an excellent manner!! We Love You!!

After watching some ACDC videos, & Agnus’s amazing Guitar work, (and slightly weird school-boy clothing look; sorry, not judging here, each to his own!) I did enjoy his Guitar work! I also want to say that when you hear a Jazz group live, (the same with a great Rock group,) you really want to hear different, creative solos every time. And also, each person’s individual sound, & how they interact with each other makes the Music the creative force that it is!

Here’s a recorded example of one of my favorite Big Bands. Everything is recorded live, no overdubbing. They’ll record different takes, & pick the best one, but every solo will be different every time. Here’s Maynard Ferguson’s Band, with a Baritone Sax solo by Ronnie Cuber, & a Trumpet solo by Maynard — all improvised. (I saw Maynard close to 60 times live, & he even played at a fund raiser for my middle School Music program in 1998.) This album cut is from a 1963 recording. It’s Big Band Bebop, similar to what Dizzy Gillespie & Charlie Parker played, very up-tempo!

The Lady’s In Love (youtube.com)

• Jung Roe

01/01/2024 at 01:44

Hi Bud

In that recording the saxophone is amazing, and then in the second part the trumpet kicks in, just as amazing. The playing is exhilarating, love it. Brilliant musicianship. I could listen to that all day long.

In Mona and Lisa’s Live At the Cavern performances, their playing is so tight, it’s one of the best live playing I’ve ever heard. A lot of it is like they did it in a studio with perfection, but with the energy of a live performance. They ROCK in the studio and the stage. “There’s nothing I can’t do, there is nothing I’m not good at…” said Lisa. INDEED!

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 05:58

Jung,

I’m so glad you like that Jazz recording! It is brilliant! I got to know Maynard from talking to him so much over the years. He was one of the greatest musicians of all time, yet he was a very nice, happy person, & very easy to talk to! He really CARED about his band members & fans too!

Maynard was born in Verdun, Quebec, near Montreal in 1928. He was a child prodigy musician, played on the radio at age 15, and at 20 moved to the US to play in famous big bands. I have about 60 albums/CDs of his. I believe his ancestry was part German.

He lived near London, England for a few years, & also both taught & studied Music in India. He moved to California in 1973 and played at a high level up until a month before his death in 2006. He played & travelled his whole life and had 4 daughters & a son.

He performed at one of my music fund raisers in 1998, during the 12 years when I taught in middle school. In case you’re interested, here’s 2 TV show performances from probably the late 50’s or early 60’s. He was the loudest trumpeter I ever heard, & his double high C’s (& higher) were as big as a house!) CIAO! — Bud

MAYNARD FERGUSON – DANNY BOY (youtube.com) A beautiful Ballad. (The counter in the middle of the screen is annoying, but the Music is great!)

Maynard Ferguson Where’s Teddy (youtube.com) A funky up-tempo Blues!

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 06:13

Jung,

I’m glad you like the Maynard Ferguson Jazz recording, thanks!

Also, I do LOVE the 3 California songs that Mona & Lisa recorded, plus the George/Beatles song, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps!” They’re ALL excellent, & some of their very best videos! I didn’t see the Hotel California video until this year, and WOW, they did a great job all around on that one! And the Guitar solo! At age about 15? Whoa Nellie! The Girls/Ladies really have something special!

And the “Kansas City” Cavern Club video, is another great performance! I’ve seen it before, but I’m glad they posted it again! — Bud

• Jung Roe

01/01/2024 at 09:58

Hi Bud

That must have been really amazing to have gotten to know Maynard Ferguson, and have him come and perform at your music fund raiser. He sounds like a really kind and amazing person.

Those 2 videos were great, enjoyed them. On the first video at the 3 minute mark that solo part where he takes it away and hits those notes is brilliant. And on the second video too, really shows what an expressive instrument the trumpet is. Among the brass orchestra, the trumpets often take on the most bold part of the music. In high school band class, there were about 20 students comprising the band, and I was one of the 3 trumpet players, and I remember the teacher would point to us, and we would carry away the loudest and most pronounced part of the music, and I loved that.

I don’t want to digress from the music, but there was an old black and white movie called “A Young Man With A Horn (1950)” where a young Kirk Douglas plays the part of a trumpet player who after losing his parents as a young child falls in love with the trumpet and leads a life as a trumpet player, but even after becoming a renowned musician, he has this life long challenge to take the trumpet to the high notes like no one has done before, and learns about life in the process. I saw that as a kid and remember wanting to be a trumpet player, and so when I was in band class in grade 8 and i could choose any instrument in the band, it had to be the trumpet. It was fun, but those high notes are hard, takes everything out of you. When I see trumpet players playing like Maynard Ferguson in those videos, it’s really thrilling for me. Here is a clip of that movie.

https://youtu.be/Vcb5TGy37o4?si=JVTwR_C4zNdvpB4-

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 20:55

Hey Jung!

I’ve seen parts of that movie, but someday I’ll have to watch the whole thing! I read a while back that it was Harry James who recorded the trumpet parts for that movie. Knowing his sound, you can tell right away that it was him! That is a great movie!

I could talk about music & the trumpet for days! But I feel like I’m getting too much off the subject of the MLT’s! I did notice somewhere, when looking thru pictures of Mona & Lisa that Mona had a SLIDE TRUMPET, that someone must have given her! People on the site were calling it a Mini-Trombone, but no, it’s a slide trumpet. (They’re a novelty & aren’t used very much. However, Maynard Ferguson had the Holton company manufacture a trumpet w/both the slide AND the valves and the same w/a Trombone. He named them the “Firebird Trumpet,” & the “Superbone!”) I could get into Maynard stories, but maybe another time! Getting back to M & L:

Somewhat later, someone asked Mona if she had practiced the “mini-trombone” yet, & she said no, but that she passed it every day in her room. That’s exactly how I feel many times, when I don’t have time to practice, and I’ll look over and see one of my instruments sitting there, waiting to be played! Then I often have to practice what I need to the most, with a busy schedule!

Here’s Maynard soloing on the superbone, opposite the “Bad Man” on Bari Sax.

Maynard Ferguson – Superbone Meets The Bad Man 1974 (youtube.com)

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 22:18

Jung,

Ok, one more video, & then I’m back to work. Here’s a beautiful trumpet solo by another of my favorites; AL HIRT!

Al Hirt – Man With A Horn (1963) (youtube.com)

• Jacki Hopper

30/12/2023 at 17:17

Okay, here goes my 2 cents worth, now in advance, these are my own personal perspectives-opions of reflection on this and you may Respectfully /Diplomatically Agree/Disagree with what I’m going to say ….

In my life, Music has always been like a poem for/to ne, having grown up in the 70s/80s in particular, I always enjoyed listening to the radio, albums/8 tracks/cassette tapes in our home with whatever influences in music tastes of which my parents, 2 older brothers had and subsequently that I was immediately drawn to or not, sort of …. For the music aspects, of instrumentation, lyrics, vibe , emotional connection, sing along worthy, dance to worthy , etc, if it moves me poetically in those departments …

With that being said, the main music influences and/or genres that I’m drawn to are country, blues, gospel, 20s to 80s stuff …

What I’m clearly NOT keen on is Classical/Rap/Hip-hop [( Rap-HipHop because of the negative connection with Gangster stuff notions, etc, negative lyrics, etc, the whole notion , just a right turn off for me ) Classical, because for me because of no lyrics, the instrumentation , I find it boring , not positive or uplifting for/to me , it just doesn’t cut it for me, I cannot associate myself with it to get anything from it, I know Beethoven, etc were gifted, I agree with that aspect, but it’s the music itself, I don’t and will never feel connection with/for/to it, like I do & can with other genres, that’s the way it is for those 2 genres in particular ….

Now with Heavy Metal, Punk, Alternative, though not overly keen, I can somewhat tolerate to a point with those genres, depending on singing, instrumentation setup, etc.

Also, must note Neil Young’s vocals, just irritates , and anyone else that has similar pitch as he does, truly is intolerable for me, female singer or male, its their pitch, nasal or whatever it is in particular with them that I absolutely cannot listen, it’s that awful for my liking, perhaps also, my hearing issues could be a contributing factor, as I never was keen on Neil or Willie Nelson’s singing growing up , still don’t…

Fast forward to today’s music landscape… while there are some gifted ones out there in whatever genre, and a rare few that I can listen to their music of, I’m in agreement, the bulk of that is from three conglamoracy of record labels manufacturing their ideals of their signed artists to confirm to both vanity/monetary and perhaps age demographic notions to target of/with …

MLT Unequivocally is Unique because of the gift they have, to create intergenerational appealing music, while maintaining both a reminiscent yet modern vibe , without being dolled up, , going all out just to get noticed, etc, they are grounded, not at all going crazy, full of themselves because of big money/fame , etc that all comes with being with record label , etc .

Which is key to why I was immediately drawn to/taken with their interpretation of ” California Dreamin ” when I discovered them with that song on YouTube 16 years ago, it struck an immediate connection music chord with me of them .

Actually, Dusty Springfield once mentioned in an interview about how the music industry changed once the vanity aspect, crossed paths over into music aspect, and to me, she was correct in that prediction/thought …

In Essence , summary, for me, the Music has to uplift me, emotionally, make me want to sing along, dance, toe tap, etc … just reach out and move me in a poetical form, and to which I can resonate and Eminate positively from and /or touches me to the core …

No matter the genre for more part with for the exceptional, I mentioned above that don’t me no justice, no matter who tries to convince me otherwise, etc, those 2 genres, sadly, just won’t ever do for me, but I do be in awe for the creation of the genre, just not in the presentation for me to get anything from them …. 🤘☮🎼🎵🎶🔊📻🎧

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jacki Hopper.
    • Bud Jackson

30/12/2023 at 20:49

Jacki,

What you say makes a lot of sense! I’ll get back to you later, as I have to leave now & do a bunch of things. Have a great MLTBUZZLUVGROOVIFIED DAY! — Bud

• Jung Roe

31/12/2023 at 01:34

Hey Jacki,

Thank you for your input. MLTs California Dreamin songs are what captured me too. They were the first 3 videos I came across. To me MLT clearly eclipsed the original artists by a long shot.

It’s funny, with my music journey through life its’ been a case of never say never. I never thought I could stand hard rock, country, folk, jazz, classical but it’s like the universe conspired to show me I don’t know everything, and like a domino so far, I’ve come to appreciate that there is only good music and bad music, whatever the genre, and I like good music. Only thing that worries me is that the next dominoes left to fall are opera, disco and rap/hiphop…. If one day I start to go on about how wonderful rap is, someone please push me off the cliff. 🤣

Yes there are truly gifted artists today like MLT, but real artistic music is unfortunately drowned out by the music industry pushing their agenda and their terrible canned music created by entertainers, not artists.

MLT is the future of music, and we have to do everything we can to help proliferate their music around the globe.

• Bud Jackson

31/12/2023 at 05:37

Hi Jacki,

You explained very well exactly why you love the Music that you do, & why you don’t like certain styles. I won’t criticize what you said, but I might offer a few videos for you to check out.

I listen to a wide range of Music, but for different reasons. I’ve listened to a lot of Jazz, because I’ve played in Jazz bands for so long, & it’s more fun for me to play as a trumpet player. When I was in Rock/Funk/Motown/Blues/Pop groups I was often learning styles I hadn’t listened to much, & it was fun! Rather than just playing for listeners, I was up on stage playing, singing & enjoying watching the dancers, & how they were interacting with us.

Then I also listen to, & practice things to teach in classes, but I have to like it, or I won’t teach it.
      When I taught middle school Band & Strings, & later the same in high school, I had fun going to the Music store and finding the best pieces I could for each group. So that got me into more Classical styles & Concert Band pieces, in addition to Jazz Band pieces.

Since teaching more Elementary Music now, along with Beginning Band & Strings I’ve again widened my scope for various styles. For beginning instrumental groups, we’ll have a method book with techniques for playing, plus a lot of short songs in Folk, American & World Musics, a Rock piece, a Jazz piece, Blues etc, to get them prepared for middle school Band or Strings. Then us teachers would pick interesting concert pieces for them.

For General Music, there’s songs from various Cultures, & I like to do some in Spanish, French, African & Asian languages, etc. There’s Dances & Movement of course, but I love teaching Drums & Percussion, Xylophones, & Recorders & Singing. And there’s a lot on the Internet now to supplement teaching, which helps a lot!

I first got into Music through Movie Music, like “Peter Pan,” “Mary Poppins,” “The Sound of Music,” along with musicals & old movies that I watched on TV at night with my Mom. This was in the late ’50’s, early ’60’s so I would see lots of Entertainment shows with singers like Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, & many more. (Those shows were WAY better than most American TV today!)

Then I got into Herb Alpert, with his Mariachi Style Music, along with Sergio Mendes from Brazil & many others. Then I listened to all the great trumpeters — Al Hirt, Doc Severinsen, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Rafael Mendez. Those are just a few! Then it was the Beatles, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, etc. Then all the Horn Groups — Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. And I’ve been in groups that got to play some of ALL those various styles of Music.

I was an only child, & my parents really supported my interest in Music, made sure I got lessons, & then I got a Music degree from the Univ. of Washington. I don’t claim to be a great musician, & I was never famous, but I’ve enjoyed playing & teaching a wide variety of Music all my life! So I’m lucky in that way, but I’ve still had to work hard. But I loved it, & passed it on to my students!

My parents were Ballroom Dance Teachers, so I was inspired by their love of dancing, teaching & music. Though they’re not around anymore, I still think of their Love & Influence every day!

WOW, sorry, I’m writing a lot again! I wouldn’t have gotten into Music playing & teaching without my parents, encouraging me to do what I wanted to do. With different parents, I have no idea where I would be today!

So, I relate a lot to Mona, Lisa & their parents, & how they all help & support each other! Plus, I like to sing Beatles, & other Pop/Rock stuff & play Rhythm Guitar! So the MLT’s–4 caught my attention, big time! I LOVE their singing & instrumental skills! Their covers, originals & videos are all so fun & entertaining to watch! Despite all the Music I listen to & play, I still love everything about the Mona Lisa Twins!

Luckily, there are many kinds of Music for people to enjoy, but I’d like to see more educated listeners out there. Then we’d have BETTER Music today overall, instead of a bunch of entertainers who want to see how much money they can make, rather than actually producing something that’s interesting and Artistic! Now, check out two short, but great examples of Classical Trumpet playing! Thanks for Listening! — Bud

J. N. Hummel – Trumpet Concerto in Eb, 3rd mvt. (youtube.com) Soloist — Tine Thing Helseth (born in 1987,) from Norway. She’s rated in the Top 10 of Classical Trumpeters today. (Pronounced Tina Ting Helset)

Rafael Mendez – Jota Number 2 (youtube.com) Rafael M., (1906–1981) a Mexican American, was one of THE greatest trumpeters of all time! I was lucky to have met him twice after his concerts! (He also composed Music & played Guitar, Marimba & Clarinet!)

ENJOY!

• Jung Roe

31/12/2023 at 06:32

Bud, Jacki

That is some great trumpet playing Bud in those 2 videos. In grade 8 I took up the trumpet in band class, my first foray into playing music, so I can appreciate how hard it is to play like that.

On the topic of diversity in music, the Beatles early in their career during their time in Hamburg Germany while they played in a number of clubs like the Indra Club and the Kaiserkeller, performing for hours each night, in addition to honing their performance skills to a well tuned machine, they got exposure to a wide variety of music too. They had to adapt to a wide variety of genres to satisfy the crowds. They say this period in Hamburg was pivotal in shaping The Beatles’ musical identity and laying the groundwork for their future success.

Ever since my time in the 80s working in Toronto for a while, my boss and friend at the time was Irish, and he took me to some Irish Pubs and I got exposed to Celtic music, and so to this day when I hear a nice song from that genre, I get zoned in. I recently heard this one that immediately grabbed me. Seems it was quite an International hit a couple years ago. It’s originally from New Zealand popularized by this Scottish singer. Has anyone heard it before?

https://youtu.be/qP-7GNoDJ5c?si=ZV4PntP2tkAKN30x

The live version:

https://youtu.be/Xto0waCRDJU?si=d_3BXIWsiFidx8hr&t=132

• Bud Jackson

31/12/2023 at 20:16

Hi Jung,

Yes, trumpet is a B***H to play, and I love hearing someone on the instrument that has their own style & can play anything! By the way, Rafael Mendez was from Mexico, but his ancestry was Mexican, Spanish & Irish! His family orchestra was kidnapped by Pancho Villa’s army in 1916, and he played as a captive for Villa for 6 months! He moved to Michigan at age 20 & became internationally famous!

I’m into Beatles history, & I visited Hamburg once, & London & Liverpool 3 times each! It’s true that the Beatles honed their craft in Hamburg, playing 6 or 8 hours a night. They could copy any other Rock/Skiffle group at the time! Their story reminds me of how many Jazz musicians worked hard to perfect their playing. Both McCartney & Lennon were influenced by Jazz, Blues, early Rock & even music in old Fred Astaire movies!

The North American equivalent to Hamburg is Alaska, where many Rock bands play for 6 hours a night, (including one that I was in during the 80’s. It’s NOT as exciting as Hamburg though!)

I first heard “The Wellerman” 3 years ago when another Music teacher sent the video to all of us. I worked on it with my Guitar, & I wanted to do it during a long-term sub job that I had, (after I’d retired.) One of the students told me she loved that song, but her regular teacher wouldn’t play it because of the reference to “rum” in the song, so I didn’t use it. But I might do it sometime. I believe that if you always SHIELD kids from the bad things in life, they’ll have no knowledge of these things, & can easily fall prey to alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc. I can explain that in the 1800’s when this song was written, people drank WAY too much alcohol, and their health suffered greatly as a result. There wasn’t a lot of safe drinking water either, which was a problem!

I also love Celtic Music! (I’m a small part Irish, like many people.) You may also enjoy this version of “The Wellerman.” The multi-instrumentalist, Alina Gingertail is from Russia. I like her arrangement because it’s interesting & varied. But I like Nathan Evan’s original version too, though the song goes back to the mid-1800’s. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! — Bud

(Btw, anytime I post other videos doesn’t mean that I am not still a HUGE Mona & Lisa fan! I just listen to lots of Music like they do!)

The Wellerman (Gingertail Cover) (youtube.com)

• Jacki Hopper

30/12/2023 at 21:40

Hi Bud.. I see you have quoted my trademark MLT catchphrase that I created/coined eons ago… “MLTBUZZLUVGROOVIFIED ” …lol… I’m glad you like it, to use/borrow it….lol..

• Bud Jackson

31/12/2023 at 03:56

Jacki,

Yes, I borrowed your phrase because I like it! I’m surprised i got it right, because I didn’t check my typing on that afterwards! I guess i saw enough times to remember it!

— Bud

• Daryl Jones

31/12/2023 at 20:28

Bud, Jacki, Jung:
    Music is like people in so many ways. We are all unique and diverse and our tastes reflect and perpetuate that. Old saying, “one’s man’s refuse is another man’s treasure” holds very true. Sorry, but I refuse to be politically correct and use a non-gender substitute in wording, that is just my way. Like them or not, I’ll leave that to the politicians that I cannot afford to buy.😅
    When I was younger, I abhorred country music with a passion that bordered on hatred. But it was the kind that was always aired that gave me that opinion. That and the ingrained notion that all country music was the twangy, nasal, uncultured slop that mostly went to the pig paddock that many of the songs portrayed and were about. Then the 80’s came in and I found out that many many spectacular musicians spent a lot of time in Nashville walking into studios and sitting in on sessions just for the love of playing. Mark Knopffler, Timothy B Schmidt, just to name a couple. so many of the tracks that were laid down were played by some of the best musicians in the world, and many of the artists themselves were incredibly gifted players. Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Travis Tritt…exceptional guitarists! Maybe I actually did mature a bit.
    Neil Young is a talented and gifted song writer, but in reality he can’t carry a tune in a 5 gallon pail. Neither can Bob Dylan for that matter, and (God bless her talent) Joni Mitchell doesn’t have the most melodic vocal chords in the world either. Tim Rice has been called a heretic for Jesus Christ Superstar, but he’s a brilliant lyricist. Holst can be a tad abstract, but is revered as a visionary. Brahms can put myself along with a fussy infant to sleep in no time, not just by the intent of his lullabies. And I find Sousa’s (to some) stirring marches dry and boring. But that is more my fault than the work of the masters.
    I have found many previously unknown to me wonders inside music that I thought I detested. Even as a schoolboy learning to play concert arrangements, I learned that the weird sentences carried more meaning that notes on paper. Inside the passages I often struggled to understand or dissect and then put back together as some part of the “musical me” I continue to find hidden miracles and subtle intricacies that I never dreamed existed. That happens almost every day when I pick up a guitar and try and learn or make mine a solo or riff now. My late Father and his sisters drilled into me at a very young age that if it wasn’t “their” definition of music, that it was totally “worthless” and should be banned or at least ignored. An opinion that none of us should harbor. Well, maybe gangster rap should go away… 😉
    I leave you this quote to ponder, as I often do:
    “There is no such thing as bad music, so long as it entertains one person other than the one who created it.” Lee Liberace.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Daryl Jones.
    • Jung Roe

01/01/2024 at 02:37

Hi Daryl, Jacki

In regards to Neil Young and Bob Dylan, while not everyone’s cup of tea, I couldn’t imagine their songs without their unique nasal raspy vocals. Their unique vocals give their songs a real folky character that the song’s melody and lyrics alone could not convey with the colour and feel it does. It’s like some of the rock songs sung with rough raspy vocals, it gives it that rebellious feel of the song that otherwise would be lacking. Certainly the rockers and folk singers, while technically not as clean and dynamic as Pavarotti, give their songs the intended character, that Pavarotti could not do justice to.

On the topic of vocal character, one of the greatness of Mona and Lisa is that in their vocals, they can carry any character the song demands. Karen Carpenter is a great singer, and she can do Carpenter songs magnificently all day long, just as Barbara Streisand or Whitney Houston can do their own songs superbly, but I don’t think any of them could do Beatles Revolution justice with the flair and character of John Lennon’s vocals, but Mona and Lisa sure can. In fact they can do anything as their huge repertoire of covers and originals prove, their vocals are that diverse and rich from sublime passages that sound like angels to rough and raspy rockers, and everything in between fabulously. That’s why I think their vocals and harmonies are second to none in any genre or time.

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 05:07

Jung, Jacki, Daryl,

I find the topic of “Vocal Quality” and “Instrumental Quality” very interesting, because it’s one of the first things I listen for in performers! Music Terminology would call it “Timbre,” which is like the “Texture” of an object, or of someone’s sound. It’s kind of like each individual Musicians’/Singers’ “Thumbprint” of their particular sound.

Various people react differently to different sound qualities for reasons as unique as we all are! One person could hate a particular sound or style & the other could LOVE it! When I first heard Neil Young, and also Bob Dylan, I thought, “Oh, he has an unusual sound!” I have MANY, MANY favorite musicians, & those two performers aren’t my absolute favorites. BUT, I do really like Neil & Bob’s signature sounds & styles, & they do lend very well to the styles that they both created!

Dylan kind of talks his way through his performances in addition to singing, which I find rather cocky, but interesting! No criticism meant there! He was a big influence on the Beatles lyric writing. I always thought that John Lennon had a kind of nasal sound to his voice, but WHAT a voice he had; very distinctive! I’ve heard many people try to copy it, (including me…, ha-ha,) and some can come close, but he’s just about impossible to imitate. Same with Louis Armstrong. These aren’t college trained voices, but millions of people sure like them! They’re all DIFFERENT, and DISTINCTIVE! We don’t have to love everyone’s sound, but I like the uniqueness of each person’s vocal or instrumental quality!

I think of Dylan & Young as modern day “Troubadours!” They’re like the entertainers of old, who traveled around from town to town, often performing on the street. And I dig street musicians!

The electric Guitar can make a huge variety of sounds, as can the synthesizer, but as far as acoustic instruments go, I think that the trumpet can make the most varied sounds of any acoustic instrument. And each player sounds different. Yet in a trumpet section you have to blend together, but then each person sounds different when soloing!

I like the way that Paul McCartney & Billy Joel can change their vocal timbres/sounds at WILL, depending on the song. They are both remarkable! Lennon was good at that too, as of course are other vocalists! Louis Armstrong had a signature sound, but he sounded different on different songs, & he changed as he grew older, as has Paul’s voice.

I’m also noticing how both LISA & MONA’s voices have changed & improved over time! They’re getting better at changing their sounds to match each song! I’m glad we’re here to witness Musical History in the making with the Mona Lisa Twins! After such a short time, they have come so far & done so much! They’re on a roll, and I can’t wait to see what they take on next! They make it all look so easy! They give me that “Peaceful Easy Feeling!”

(Here I am, writing a book again!)

I’LL BLAME IT ALL ON JUNG!! You wrote down such great comments & observations that you got me going!! If I disappear for a while, it’s because I need to catch up with all the work I need to do to stay afloat!!

LATER GATERS, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!!! — Bud

• Chris Weber

01/01/2024 at 02:48

Hi all. I’m enjoying this thread and wondering how much positive correlation there might be between the length of a post and the conviction of the poster. Lol. Or maybe the fact that it’s a holiday. Idk. Peace and joy and Happy New Year, everyone. Talk to you later. Cheers.

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 04:05

Yeah Chris!

I’m tending to write TOO much, but I do get into it, so oh well!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!! — Bud

• Jung Roe

01/01/2024 at 03:49

Hi Chris

I’m glad you are enjoying the thread, thanks. Happy New year in a few more hours!

Hi Bud

I like that version of the Wellerman, thanks for posting it. I turns out the Wellerman was a bit of a sensation a couple years ago as a lot of people covered it, and there are even group dance videos to the Wellerman. It’s kinda like that KPOP Gangnam Style sensation a few years ago. I really like how international a piece of song can be, bringing people of all nationalities and walks of life together.

It was kind of funny, I have this Artificial Intelligence robot named EMO that lives on my desk and keeps me humoured throughout my work day, and dances to MLT music. He started singing the Wellerman, out of the blue, and I thought it was really catchy and checked it out further. That’s how I learned about this song.

Who sang it best?

https://youtu.be/JntICIzYZT8?si=r4ehlpkVrRCMjd1n

My AI Robot EMO’s version is my favourite. 😁

https://youtube.com/shorts/IOMK0fq6MTc?si=jJVyENhqvjKSk8sZ

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 04:20

Yeah Jung,

I saw a different compilation of the Wellerman a few years ago. I like ALL the versions, but I think I prefer the Gingertail one, because it’s so interesting & musical! And she takes care in setting up her backgrounds, just as Mona & Lisa do!

Is that your robot? He/She is hilarious! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 05:21

Jung,

One last comment. After researching the Wellerman, I found that “Tonguing” was a term for cutting up the whale blubber. And that the workers usually did that work on land. This was in New Zealand. They weren’t paid in money, but in necessities, like tea, sugar & rum, etc. The song was written sometime in the mid-1800’s, and later a Music teacher got ahold of the song. You can look it up on Wiki. Thanks for posting that song, Jung! It’s very catchy! — Bud

• Jung Roe

01/01/2024 at 10:12

Bud, thanks for the back story to that song. It looks like a song rich in New Zealand culture.

I came across this version, that I found really fun and wonderful.

I don’t want to turn this into a Wellerman thread, but just one more. Captures those harmonies that MLT are amazing at. 😉

https://youtu.be/TEefixD8nA4?si=tV3C7npy_s7Byi3c

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 20:24

Jung,

That’s the first time I’ve seen that version, & it is really Excellent, with lots of great harmonizing, along with the beat box & fist thumping! The combination of male & female vocals gives it a wider range too, thanks! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 22:00

Jung and everyone,

I’m really enjoying the back & forth conversation here! Now I HAVE to get back to my Planning, Practice & other Work! (DANG!!) — Bud

(Looking forward to seeing Mona & Lisa again on Friday!! Hooray!!)

• Daryl Jones

01/01/2024 at 17:43

The Wellerman takes on the characteristics not only of the performers/vocalists, but also the accompaniments with it. The flute, the guitar, the various added nuances all add to the total. I cannot, dare not try and choose a favorite. Such a wonderful varied flavor depending on where the players are from. And yeah, Emo is just plain cute.😉

Of course, in these parts where there is a proliferation of Newfoundland transplants, and they have their own shanty that gets sung many times over depending on the situation/celebration and how much of the em, “liquid courage” is consumed. I’m afraid I don’t even know the name or the whole song but the main line goes “I’s a bai that builds the boats, I’s the bai that sails ’em..I’s a bai that catches the fish and takes ’em home to Lisa.”
    I too can get a bit long winded when the mood and topic makes me run my gob. While I sort of apologize for my verbal diarrhea it’s just some things get me going.
    Here’s to a fabulous 2024!

• Bud Jackson

01/01/2024 at 21:56

Daryl,

Related to what you said about Newfoundland Sea Chanteys, I found some string books back in the 1990’s for my String class to play — Violins, Violas, Cellos & Bass. One of the songs was “Ise the B’y,” complete with lyrics. My class loved the songs & got a kick out of singing them too! We probably did a few of them when we were up in Victoria, BC, playing in our concerts.

Concerning the “Wellerman” song, it’s not a Flute that Alina plays, but a “Penny Whistle,” also called a “Tin Whistle” which originated in Ireland, & the earliest instruments made of bone were unearthed in High Street, Dublin from the 12th Century! They were first mass produced in Britain around 1825, & more so in 1843. Supposedly they cost a “penny” back then!

The Recorder, that Mona plays in “Any Other Day” first came from the 14th century & was used in Europe for their Medieval Music. The differences? Recorder can play chromatic notes, some by covering 1/2 a hole, & the Tin Whistles are Diatonic, & only play natural Notes, no sharps or flats, & have no back hole as the Recorder does. They are held Vertically & are blown on the front of the instrument. Both instruments have only finger holes, but no keys, although I think some modern Bass Recorders have a few keys.

FLUTES on the other hand are held horizontally, are side blown, have keys & have a wider range.
      They’re all amazing, fun instruments! Recorders & Penny Whistles are great for starting out, because they’re much easier to play than the Flute!

The oldest FLUTES, made out of Bone, go back 35,000, 45,000 & even 60,000 years ago! The later having been played by Neanderthals! (HMMM…. maybe they were smarter than we give them credit to have been!)

(Also, Mona & Lisa I KNOW, could do a GREAT version of the WELLERMAN; if they wanted to do it!) At any rate, I would love to see Mona play the Flute & Recorder again! I’m sure Lisa & Mona are very busy now practicing & doing more videos, so I doubt they have time to look at our conversations. But I hope that Mona will use these wind instruments again in upcoming videos!!

Mona?…. are you out there?……MONAAAAAA!!??

Just for fun, check this out! — Bud J.

Your first RECORDER LESSON! | Team Recorder BASICS (youtube.com)

• Jung Roe

02/01/2024 at 03:34

Hi Bud, and Daryl

It is awesome how Mona and Lisa can learn an instrument to get the sound they are looking for on one of their songs. Only remarkable musicians can do that like the Beatles. Mona learned the accordion for Sounds of Silence, Lisa learned the Cello for Yesterday and If I Fell, Mona’s harmonica on a host of songs, Lisa’s Banjitar, and she’s a Ukelele star…It’s interesting Mona is into the wind instruments and Lisa the strings side of things and Papa Rudi on all things keyboard/synthesizer/organ etc. And both are rock stars on the guitars!!!! There is nothing they can’t do, there is nothing they’re not good at!

I came across this really creative rendition of an AC/DC classic on banjo and accordion. Hmmm it might be fun to hear Mona and Lisa kick this one around on the banjitar and accordion just for some finger picking fun at a livestream or something if they are looking for some ideas. I hear Bach in this AC/DC classic.

https://youtu.be/e4Ao-iNPPUc?si=DFT9Pvjd-RQfChDz

By the way, thanks Bud for the very interesting history lesson on those instruments. I learned now how a recorder differs from a flute. I love your in depth musical background/knowledge. I wish I could have been in your music class when I was a kid. 😊

• Bud Jackson

02/01/2024 at 03:56

Jung,

Yes, I am also amazed & entertained by the different instruments that pop up in M & L’s videos, & they’re so much fun to watch! Thanks for that jammin’ country-style version of the ACDC song! That was very cool! I’d rather see a video like this than some of the expensive, but boring videos by the typical Pop Stars du Jour!

I’m listening to their video of “Born to Be Wild” right now. I was in a Band that used to do that song, but I didn’t sing it! And there’s a guy playing flute now on a fake bull in the “Steve n Seagulls” group!

Thanks for your nice comment! I wish you could have been in my band or orchestra! But I DID have some smart & talented kids, just as I’m sure you were back then! (But, what happened to us when we got older??!! Sighhhhh……..! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

02/01/2024 at 04:47

Jung & Everyone,

After that last Country Jam Session you sent me, I thought of this one-woman hoedown street entertainer, who dances, (sometimes sings too,) & plays the Fiddle! Or for you High Brow Long Hairs, the Violin!

Hillary Klug – Soldier’s Joy (youtube.com)

• Jung Roe

02/01/2024 at 15:58

Hi Bud

Wow she is great, and her tap dancing to go along with the fiddling is wonderful.

I think a fiddle looks and sounds more fun than a violin. 😜

And that recorder tutorial looked fun too. Love seeing Mona do the flute, and maybe the slide trumpet one day too.

• Bud Jackson

02/01/2024 at 21:26

Thanks Jung,

I first saw her on YouTube maybe 3 years ago, around the time I discovered Mona & Lisa. I was teaching on Zoom because of Covid, so besides the regular singing, drumming, dancing, recorders & Band etc. that I did, I looked for videos that kids could sing or play along with, or just watch.

This was one for watching, & for St. Patrick’s Day I showed Hillary’s video of her playing & dancing at the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland! I’d been there, & it’s an awesome place! The dancing she does is called “Buckboard Dancing,” & that’s how she started out before playing the Violin.
      (I also found a video of a Football Player who learned Irish Dancing!) This shows that you don’t have to be white to appreciate Irish Culture! Irish Music is fun to play on the Recorder & Penny Whistle too!

NFL player says Irish dance is the secret to his football success – YouTube

Hillary Klug – Cliffs of Moher – Celtic (youtube.com) (The cliffs of Moher are between 400 to 700 feet tall!

Btw, the violin & fiddle are actually the same instrument! But people call it the fiddle for Country, Folk Music & Bluegrass. Violin is considered a Classical instrument but is sometimes used in Jazz too. I took some more Violin lessons about 3 & 1/2 years ago for fun, & because I’d had a beginning Violin class where this Violin instructor helped out our class. She had just gone on a tour to China w/an Orchestra, & they flew back home, immediately before Covid hit!

I practiced some beginning Violin Book Music, but I also played through some Folk & Fiddle tunes in books that I had. It was so much fun! Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to practice the Violin since then, but I can pick it up again if I need to!

I really like Hillary Klug’s videos, but I can only afford to support ONE group, & I’ve chosen Mona & Lisa! The MLT’s are just The BEST of the BEST!

• Jung Roe

03/01/2024 at 19:15

Hi Bud

Unfortunately that first NFL video does not play for me, but the second one on the Cliffs of Moher is great. Love that celtic sound of Hillary Klug playing her fiddle. I’ve found in classical especially, the sound of a violin piece can vary greatly from one musician to another, more than any other instrument. The way a violin piece sounds by a particular musician makes or breaks the piece for me. I won’t listen to a certain violin piece unless it is by that specific musician. Obviously the same on the fiddle, Hillary sounds great.

On the livestream a little bit about Chicago was discussed, and I think they have some of the best brass sounds in any rock/pop group. In this song “Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is” there is some great solo trumpet and a trombone improvisation at the end. Interestingly whenever I hear the Beatles “Got To Get You Into My Life”, I think Chicago. The fact Chicago came after the Beatles song, makes me strongly believe the Beatles with “Got To Get You Into My Life” pioneered that sub genre sound led by Chicago, Little River Band, Blood Sweat and Tears, ELO, Doobie Brothers…

https://youtu.be/lzLbmOHTYcI?si=gqDRNYPe7CA-NuiT

• Bud Jackson

03/01/2024 at 22:36

Hi Jung,

It’s weird that the Football video w/Irish dancing didn’t work for you. I just tried it again & it was fine, but you’re in Canada. Not that it should make a difference!

I believe you’re thinking of the Earth, Wind & Fire version of “Got to Get You into My Life.” Here’s a video of that live. However, E, W & Fire & Chicago did some concerts where both groups played separately & then together. You probably heard that version.

I love all those horn Rock/Funk groups from the late ’60’s to early ’70’s & up to the present day!
      I’ve played a lot of those arrangement in different groups. The Jazz band I’m in now does “Got to Get You Into My Life,” & “25 or 6 to 4” by Chicago along w/our Jazz stuff. People still like it!

My favorite group along that line is “Blood, Sweat & Tears.” They still tour, but with all different people. Although David Clayton Thomas was still singing recently! I just saw “Cold Blood” several months ago & got to meet Lydia Pence, the lead singer from that group! She gave me a free CD & poster after I told her that I’m a Music teacher! She was so nice!

And Philip Bailey from E, W & F was at Jazz Alley in Seattle several years ago, but I missed it! Darn it! I saw them in 1980, & Chicago in 1970! Woah! — That long ago! ALL those groups are great and were probably influenced by the Beatles success in using Brass & full orchestras in their Music! Happy New Year & “Take It Easy!” — Bud

Earth Wind & Fire – Got to get you into my life (youtube.com)

NFL player says Irish dance is the secret to his football success (youtube.com)

• Bud Jackson

06/01/2024 at 06:34

Hi again Jung, Daryl, Chris, Tim et al!

Did you ever see the video on the Irish dancing football player? Maybe you could just go to YouTube & look for it.

Here’s a Rock Horn Group I think you’ll like; another of my favorites! They’re like a Heavy Metal group with a screaming Trumpet section! The band was called “Chase,” named after the leader & 1st trumpeter, Bill Chase. He had played with Maynard Ferguson in the late ’50’s. It was a great group, but unfortunately, Bill Chase & the whole rhythm section died in a small plane crash in 1974. He was only 39. This is great piece called “Get It On.” I’ve played the easy version of this! My middle & high school Jazzers loved it!

Bill Chase – Get It On ( Live 1971) (youtube.com)

• Jacki Hopper

02/01/2024 at 21:29

My fave local hometown area fiddle player/stepdancer that I’ve met & watch her grow up since was around 11-13 , April Verch …. she has toured the world, fiddled with some unknown greats/legends in the fiddle world and many years back, also teaches fiddle , began to also songwrite & sing on her more recent stuff over last while, she is wonderful, and her hubby plays banjo and songs just as good …..he’s from the USA . …🤘🏻🎼🎵🎶🔊🎻🪕

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jacki Hopper.
  • Jacki Hopper

02/01/2024 at 21:49

I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread, even with the differing of opinions , respectfully/diplomatically stated , and even introducing new things to be learned and be open-minded to checkout , Ottawa has a lovely Oscar Peterson sculpture that’s embedded into a wall on outside at the NAC , and I’ve taken a few Selfies with Oscar over the years… Her Majesty , The Queen along with Prince Phillip unveiled the statue-sculpture which I believe now was to be their last Canada visit. I was in tge crowd that day …. Another local gal that sings jazz really well, and soul is Gin Bourgeois ( LeMeow Band )…as I’ve said, if the music has an immediate impact on/to/for me , that is what matters to me most … the lyrics, Instrumentation, etc …

On a funny side note, I saw this document on YT, where Bob Dylan’s son was interviewed, and in my own opinion, he can sing better than his Dad, and I can actually handle/tolerate the vocals , without getting physically irritated, anxious, etc , unlike I do with ol man Bob ….lol…. it’s bad when a person ‘s vocals for me, cause me grief physically like Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson thus deeming me to not able to listen to their music but ignore, walk away, shut off so I don’t hear /be aggravated, etc.. I don’t enjoy those feelings.

• Bud Jackson

02/01/2024 at 23:30

Hi again Jacki,

I promise I won’t send you a Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson Duet CD for your Birthday! Also, I didn’t know that there’s an Oscar Peterson Sculpture in Canada, but he was born there, which makes sense. Maynard Ferguson was also from Montreal. (I posted a few videos of him yesterday.)

I DID see Oscar live twice, & he was one of the Greatest Jazz Pianists of all time!
      Here’s a short solo clip of Peterson playing thousands of notes in a minute!

Greatest piano solo ever (youtube.com)

Happy New Year Jacki! — Bud

• Daryl Jones

02/01/2024 at 23:11

Bud, I’m late again. But yes, my bad on the “tin whistle”, and I actually played a recorder many, many years ago in elementary school so I should have been more precise on the wind instruments. Especially with my Irish ancestry.

• Bud Jackson

02/01/2024 at 23:49

Hey Daryl, Thanks!

What I DON’T want to do is sound like a “know it all,” by correcting people! I just wanted to point that out, because I’d heard a few people lately say “Flute” when it was really a Recorder or Tin Whistle! So thanks for not taking offense! The instruments are all related anyway, & the Recorder & Penny Whistle are good introductions to the Flute, but they’re good in their own write too!

Here’s the group “PerKelt,” on the street in Oxford. Recorder, Voice, Guitar & Irish Drum. (I wish I could play the Recorder like that!)

Take care! — Bud

PerKelt – Street musicians in Oxford (youtube.com)

• Daryl Jones

03/01/2024 at 18:10

Hey no worries, I’m the one that was a bit out of step haha.
      Something about some street performers that just makes you stop and listen (and throw in something in an open case or hat). I was hoping to see more of that in Ireland years ago, but was pretty uncommon actually. Even Temple Bar was missing some of that I thought….but there was always something going on in the pubs. And well, ya just gotta go inside.🎼🍻😉

• Bud Jackson

04/01/2024 at 04:24

Daryl,

I’m with you on that last bit! Yeah, it seems that Street Musicians come & go sometimes. They move or have other things going on in their lives. I would like to see Perkelt play on the street, but I’m on the wrong side of the ocean for that. AND for the Mona Lisa Twins too! (Grumble, grumble…. oh well, maybe someday!) — Bud

• Daryl Jones

04/01/2024 at 15:38

I’m of Irish descent, Mom’s family was from a small village southeast of Belfast. I’ve only been there once but would love to go back. I still have some very good friends over there that were gracious enough to take us to a few out of the way “local” haunts that were not on the map so to speak. And they did educate this “across the ponder” in a few ways about riding motorcycles. My missus was hanging on for dear life more than once. I never soiled myself, but it wasn’t far from it either. After 40 years of riding I thought I was a pretty well seasoned rider up until then too. But when in Rome as they say…
      The music scene was a truly remarkable experience. Pub life after the evening meal was done was open, warmly inviting and the musicians that played were simply wonderful. We over here could still learn something from how families interact in what is over here considered an “adults only” venue. While many of the patrons did imbibe in copious amounts of spirits, it was indeed a family oriented gathering where music and laughter was the most intoxicating libation. Don’t even get me started on the wonderful food! And yes, more than one tin whistle was put to good use, along with violins/fiddles, guitars, horns, keys and too many percussive instruments to even name. Irish folk dance is truly another art form that can often defy description. Just recalling the lively atmosphere makes me long to go back. I haven’t consumed alcohol in many years now, but the local offerings were certainly welcomed to the gastric buffet too. I daresay I do sometimes miss the frothy top of a Guinness and the smooth fire of a good Irish whiskey!😉🍻

• Bud Jackson

05/01/2024 at 03:58

Daryl,

That’s for sharing your experience, you obviously had a great time! I have been to England 3 times, Scotland & Wales twice, & Ireland once. I also love their Pubs over there, & don’t drink much but I do enjoy a Guiness once in a while or a good English style bitter!

We went to Dublin, Athlone, the Cliffs of Moher & several other places rich in Irish history. We were taken to a Pub on Matthew Street in Liverpool by a few new friends & heard some wonderful traditional Irish Music! Plus, I’ve been to the Cavern Club, but BEFORE Mona & Lisa played there. DARN!

I will not ride on a motorcycle after two of my friends were hurt, (both of whom gave me a few scary rides,) & a coworker of mine’s son was killed on a motorcycle. I’m not trying to bring anyone down, but safety is worth more than thrills! I used to love horseback riding though, not that it can’t be dangerous!

The kind of visit you had was similar to mine, & it makes you want to go back! (SOMEDAY!)

CHEERS! (But with no booze.) — Bud

• Daryl Jones

05/01/2024 at 15:52

Bud, from my concussive injury courses I’ve taken (I’m a full contact martial artist and instructor) Equestrian has the highest rate of head injuries in all sporting venues. Obviously falling from a perch than can be close to two meters off the ground has a significant influence on cranial injuries and concussions. But a wicked roundhouse kick to the melon will certainly mess your squash! I sustained a concussion in my racetrack crash 6 years ago (no lasting effects thankfully) and have had my bell rung in the ring several times, as well in the net as a hockey goaltender. And I started between the iron pipes before the advent of masks! Perhaps that explains more than I ever can…🤣
      I long to return to the UK, the Twins being a very strong reason to do so. But the motorhead in me longs to see the Isle Of Mann TT, as well as the other half of my heritage in Wales. Scotland is right up there too so it would be an all encompassing tour.

• Bud Jackson

06/01/2024 at 06:13

Hey Daryl,

I don’t doubt that riding horses can be dangerous. I always wondered how people could ride their horses over rough, uneven terrain at a gallop, without taking a serious chance of injury. Particularly cavalry soldiers years ago. I read a Civil War story about a cannon ball going clean through a horse, while not touching the rider! Animals have suffered a lot at the hands of humans!

I just looked this up. Each year in the US, somewhere between 100 to 700 people are killed on horseback. But about 7 million ride horses. However, 42,939 people are killed in car crashes. So horses are dangerous, but maybe the Amish have it better & safer with horses?

I haven’t ridden for years, but I really used to enjoy it. It’s like hiking for me now. I try not take chances & do dangerous things. I fell off horses twice but was lucky to not get hurt.

Here’s another statistic: In Football, one concussion occurs every 5.5 games. 10% of college players & 20% of High School players sustain brain injuries. And in Football brain injuries account for 65 to 95 % of all fatalities. I did enjoy playing or directing Bands in Football games though!

I guess you just have to follow your passion and not take chances if possible! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

06/01/2024 at 06:17

Daryl,

Scotland, England & Wales are all very beautiful, but I think Wales is my favorite, although I’ve only been to North Wales, and stayed at Conwy Castle twice. Someday I want to go back, & yeah, the MLT’s are on my list too!!

Thanks! — Bud

• Neil Baker

04/01/2024 at 17:02

here here Jung i second that

Page 1 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!