• David Herrick

08/10/2019 at 12:25

Speaking of Matthew Broderick, how about War Games?  That one had a big influence on me.  And of course, no list of brat pack movies would be complete without Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Speaking even more of Matthew Broderick, he appeared in a cameo role on Saturday Night Live the other night.

• David Herrick

08/10/2019 at 12:35

I’d like to see one of those “Elders React to the Beatles” segments done with people in their 80’s and 90’s who have still never heard their music.  That would truly be fascinating, and it won’t be possible for a whole lot longer.

• Jung Roe

09/10/2019 at 04:33

I’ll have to check out “From the Hip” John.  Maybe one weekend I will have to do an 80’s movies indulgence weekend.  Yes David I remember War Games.  Ally Sheedy was great in it too.  Glad to see Matthew Broderick still doing things.  It seem very few of those actors/actresses from those time continued their careers after those 80’s movies.  Tom Cruise and Matthew Broderick it seems are the only ones still going.

It would be very interesting to see what the really old generation think of the Beatles, or do a “reaction to the Beatles” in a country or place that have not heard of the Beatles which is most likely impossible.  I have a feeling songs like Hey Jude, Yesterday, Let It Be, Something will immediately resonate with anyone.  Those melodies cross genre boundaries and are timeless I think.

• Jung Roe

09/10/2019 at 04:52

Here is another Beatles favorite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-0pRDigMw

I love the photos with Martha sitting there in between John, Paul, George and Ringo.  Would have loved to hear what they said to Martha.  Having been a dog owner, hearing such a sweet song Paul wrote for his dog is quite heart warming.  And the song has quite a nice tune to it kind of in the line of “When I’m 64”.

• Jung Roe

09/10/2019 at 05:22

Here is a delightful Beatles studio practice session with Paul’s kids and the band.  When you see this, you wonder why they ever broke up.  We get to see John sing like Bob Dylan too, and John does it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_xJuRT2Tdk

• Howard

09/10/2019 at 06:24

There was a lot of Let It Be film tape released initially and much more that wasn’t, owing to the difficulties the boys were going through at the time. As for  John doing Dylan better than Dylan, I don’t think so. No one does Dylan better than Dylan. And especially, no one does ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ better than Dylan. The Rolling Stones do have a great cover and also do a great version live though.

There are many great interpretations of his songs, with better singers. Many of them my favourites. However, there is only one Dylan and no one does him better! At least IMHO Jung. I understand that some club members can’t get past his voice, but Dylan is foremost a brilliant lyricist, composer and musician. He is not best known for his voice!

• Jung Roe

09/10/2019 at 06:39

Actually Howard, they are singing Dig It which is not a Dylan song.  It is a short track on “Let It Be”.  I was just echoing in a light hearted joking way what you said on another post where you stated you prefer Dylan songs sang by others better than Dylan.  I never mentioned anywhere I didn’t like Bob Dylan’s singing, but I do like John’s voice better.

Edited to add:

Dig It lyrics has a part where it says “Like A Rolling Stone”, and John tries I think to sound a little like Dylan there.

• Jung Roe

09/10/2019 at 06:42

Here is one of my fave Beatles performances.  Love John Lennon’s vocals especially on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtzkaL2t_Y

• Howard

09/10/2019 at 07:11

The boys are jamming together on this one Jung.

“In the early part of the jam, Lennon sings the main lyric with interjections from Harrison, while Heather (Linda’s daughter), adds wordless vocals. As the performance winds down, Lennon exhorts the others to continue. McCartney adds a baritone backup vocal of “dig it up, dig it up, dig it up” and variations, and Lennon begins to repeat “Like a rolling stone”, then goes into the “famous persons” part (mentioning “the FBI”, “the CIA”, “the BBC”, “B.B. King”, and “Doris Day” then “Matt Busby”).” This is the part you hear Lennon channeling Dylan and his “Like a Rolling Stone”. He simply substitutes his own lyrics for Dylan’s, but with the same tune.

• Howard

10/10/2019 at 03:01

Hi Jung. Didn’t mean to dis your post. It’s always nice to see these old, candid videos of the Beatles at ‘work’. I’m probably a little sensitive when it comes to Dylan’s legacy. I know his singing can be grating at times, but all I can say is, I wish I could sing as badly as Dylan! Fortunately for you, you haven’t heard me!

• Jung Roe

10/10/2019 at 05:19

Hi Howard.  You didn’t dis anything, I should have been more sensitive when talking about legends like Bob Dylan.  No disrespect intended.  🙂

• Jacki Hopper

10/10/2019 at 04:31

I have tackled  4 times publicly  to sing, “I Saw Her Standing There” – – first time at a family Bday Bash that featured karaoke  time, the other 3 times at  3 different open mic jams, accompanied by some one on guitar and during one of those times I sang at open mic, I had a guy on his keyboard rocking it  in accompanying me and guitar player… It sounded awesome… I’m not the best singer but I can sing somewhat decent… Thank my parents for that genetic gene !!

• Jung Roe

10/10/2019 at 06:14

Jacki, I can only remember singing in public once since music class in elementary school.  It was back in 2006 when I went to Korea to visit some relatives with my brother and his wife.  They took us out to a Karaoke bar.  Now in Asia Karaoke is taken extremely seriously it seems.  There is a machine that rates your singing.  It must use an algorithm that measures how accurately you say the lyrics and keep up with the beat and checks to see if you are in tune more often than not I think.  Anyway everyone was getting scores around 4 to 7 on a 1 to 10 scale.  When my turn came up, I chose to sing Scott McKenzie’s San Francisco, and I scored a 10.  I think all the stars lined up for me that evening, as I could never sing like that again since.  Or perhaps my uncle promised the DJ to buy him a few drinks if he made the machine give me a perfect score, because I resisted going up there to sing when my turn came up.   🙂

• Howard

10/10/2019 at 04:54

You are lucky Jacki. We’ve heard you sing in the video you posted on the Forum. Consider yourself lucky you won’t see one from me!

• Jung Roe

10/10/2019 at 05:25

I just came across this video, and I think this gets to the heart of the Beatles greatness.  It’s hard not to raise a few goose bumps watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwBPwqHgd8

And wait around to the end where Paul talks a little about that magic when it comes to music.  How fortunate we are for the special few like the Beatles and MLT that can create music among us.

• Jung Roe

10/10/2019 at 08:21

So after all that, in case you wanted to hear that great magically inspired McCartney song done to beautiful perfection by Mona and Lisa, I present it here for your convenience.

https://youtu.be/2h9udS8mxkE

MLT cover does this Beatles masterpiece supreme justice.

• Tomás F. Calvo

16/10/2019 at 06:36

Right now, for me, the best Beatles song is Here, There and Everywhere. Well, they all are, always, ? but you know what I mean.

• Michael Rife

17/10/2019 at 21:45

Hi Jung;

It’s a hard call as to the best. When I answered “She Loves You”, I was answering my favorite (though it did change the direction of RnR) and to me there is a difference between favorite and best.  Favorite is subjective and can sometimes change over time.  Best looks at how the song is constructed and the song’s impact on RnR.

Also, to pick the best song is a daunting task because the Beatles changed so much over the short six years they were together and globally known.  I read something earlier today or yesterday that it was only 3 and a half years between She Loves You and Strawberry Fields.  At the time I was 10 to 13 years old and 3.5 years was a long time…..over 30 percent of our lives.  Now 3.5 years is so very short…..crowding in on only 2% of our lives.  So, in retrospect they changed their music so quickly.

When it comes to the overall “best”, maybe sub-categories are needed, e.g., ballads, RnR, novelty, psychedelic, or time periods, e.g., best song for each year 1964 through 1969 or even best song on an LP (or near an LP since they released many singles that never made its way to an LP).

So, She Loves You is my favorite for reasons given…….an additional reason is because in the US people were going through a group depression of sorts because we lost a President in November of 1963.  But the best?????  I can give a top 5:  1) A Day In The Life, 2) Yesterday, 3) Something, 4) Here Comes the Sun, 5) Many tied for #5.

Mike

Page 2 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!