• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    07/02/2020 at 14:12

Since we have been living in the UK for more than 5 years we should be covered, as long as the annoying paperwork can be done successfully. We’re regularly keeping an eye on new developments but for now we’re OK, thanks 😉

• Michael Thompson

07/02/2020 at 15:42

I’m glad. Although if there’s any problems we’d love to have you move to the US! We’ll let anybody in!

• David Herrick

07/02/2020 at 16:00

“Give me your composers, your arrangers, your groovy musicians yearning to sing free.”

• William Nau

07/02/2020 at 16:05

It’s good to hear that you think everything should be ok. Hopefully the process works smoothly without too much aggravation.

• Jung Roe

07/02/2020 at 20:20

So glad to hear it Mona!  Britain has been immensely blessed with your presence and talent!  The USA, Canada, and Australia and other countries are so jealous!  🙂

• Jacki Hopper

07/02/2020 at 21:15

Lol…at Jung… “Canada is so jealous”, I’m not jealous, you may be but I’m not…lol…. although am hoping that down the line at some point , Team MLT will come on over and tour Canada, and play in your end and then cross all the way over to my end and in between….lol 😉

• Howard

08/02/2020 at 05:16

Don’t worry about the paperwork Mona. Just hand that over to Michaela. As for the USA, don’t listen. They don’t just let anyone in and if they do, you are going to need a work permit or some sort of Green card. Not easy as it is a bit of a lottery. It is much easier for ex Brits to get into Australia and we speak ‘real’ English here, unlike some former colonies.

Do yourself a favour, you deserve your time in the sun. I’d recommend Brisbane or Adelaide. ?❤️

• David Herrick

08/02/2020 at 15:20

(Sigh…)  I’m guessing, Howard, that your favorite line from “My Fair Lady” is when Henry Higgins says, “There even are places where English completely disappears.  Well, in America they haven’t used it for years.”

• Howard

08/02/2020 at 16:26

LOL! Good one David. Hadn’t heard that line for so long I’d completely forgotten it.

• Michael Thompson

09/02/2020 at 17:32

Just to be clear my concern over how Brexit will affect MLT was sincere but my invitation to the US was an attempt at humor (or should I say humour) Also remember Professor Higgins also said “why can’t the English learn to speak?”

• Howard

09/02/2020 at 17:45

Yes, Professor Higgins is correct, “why can’t the English learn to speak?”

I have previously suggested to our famous Austrian twins that their English is much better than most of the native English people I’ve heard. I certainly hope they don’t lose their wonderful German Austrian accents though. I figure they must still practice their German at home.

• David Herrick

09/02/2020 at 18:10

If I may paraphrase Professor Higgins with regard to the MLT:

“Their English is too good,” he said.  “That clearly indicates that they are foreign.

Whereas others are instructed in their native language, English people aren'(t).

And although they may have studied with an expert dialectician and grammarian,

I can tell that they were born… AUSTRIAN!”

• Jacki Hopper

09/02/2020 at 21:35

I’m fascinated in how this topic went from talking about “brexit” possibly affecting MLT, to off shooting to Speaking English properly…. ?

• David Herrick

10/02/2020 at 02:05

Agreed, Jacki.  You never know when a parenthetical aside will develop a life of its own.

It would be nice if we could modify the title of the thread to “Brexit / English Language”.

• David Herrick

10/02/2020 at 02:12

No, Michael, you definitely should NOT say “humour”.  You’d just be encouraging the monarchists among us to exhibit more bad behavior.  (Or should I say “behaviour”?)

Noah Webster rocks!

• Howard

10/02/2020 at 02:36

Perhaps Noah Webster’s rocks we’re in his head David.

It must be noted that Mona and Lisa had to travel to the antipodes to improve their English. Little did they know that Australians speak Strine.

“The term is a syncope, derived from a shortened phonetic rendition of the pronunciation of the word “Australian” in an exaggerated Broad Australian accent, drawing upon the tendency of this accent to run words together in a form of liaison”.

Many books were published on the subject in the 1960s. An example from one of the books: “Eye-level arch play devoisters …” (“I’ll have a large plate of oysters”).

I’m no monarchist David, but that “u” is essential and Americanisms are a complete bastardisation of the language imho! LOL!

Jacki, Brexit and the English language are interconnected now that the UK has left the EU as so many expats living in Europe will be impacted. We now have to wait and see if Scotland and Northern Ireland chose to exit Brexit to remain in the EU.

Page 1 of 2

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!