MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Brian Epstein- Michaela Wagner

• Brian Epstein- Michaela Wagner

Posted by Timothy Connelly on 27/10/2018 at 17:59

I think we all tend to underestimate the importance of Brian Epstein to The Beatles. Although they were already the biggest band in Liverpool when he signed them, there was nothing that indicated that within 2 years they would rule the rock and roll world.

Comparing the Twins and The Beatles seems silly but in 1961 it would have seemed silly to compare The Beatles with Elvis. Rudolf is the rough equivalent of George Martin. Obviously, Martin is recognized as a genius today but there was nothing on his resume that gave any indications of that when he signed The Beatles.  When he brought them in to record the Please Please Me album, he was no more important than any of the now totally unfamiliar producers who worked with EMI.

Michaela is wonderful as a business manager- just look at the creative, fan friendly ideas the Twins keep coming up with. Yes, I’m excited about naming the Newsletter- if that ain’t genius, I don’t know what is.

Brian did something nobody else was able to do- something nobody else has been able to duplicate. He took them from a local stage to a world stage through luck, having the right boys, sheer audacity, having all the right helpers and through a series of things coming together that were pure magic.

But I’m not going to put it past this group that at some point in the future- we’re not looking back and saying- how did they take over the rock world? What were the ingredients that went into it? How much of it was luck, how much genius?

Howard replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Steve

27/10/2018 at 18:17

It’s interesting how so many pieces in life have to come together before something special is formed.  Take the twins.  Had they not been born twins but rather three years a part, would we still have what we have today?

• Howard

28/10/2018 at 01:50

I think it is important that we remember why MLT have avoided the normal path to music business success and have created something unique and memorable with their decision to go it alone. They are not about comparing themselves with anyone else. What I have noted from their first public performance is that they have a passion for music which is infectious, and they wish to share that enthusiasm and passion with as many people as possible.

Don’t forget that first time they heard ‘I’ll Follow the Sun’, sitting in the back of that bus touring Austria when they were just fourteen years old. They just had to share their new found joy with someone and insisted their uncle listened to it. They are now sharing that joy with us, just accept it without all the over analysing! Like them, I can still remember songs I heard on the radio for the first time over fifty years ago. Now wouldn’t it be lovely to know what songs MLT will be remembering hearing for the first time in another fifty years, and why do I think they’ll mostly be MLT creations!

It’s best to leave any hyperbole to the journalists and main stream media whose only raisin d’être is to make a quick buck off the backs of artists. Let’s just enjoy what the MLT offer us without worrying about what anyone else is or has been doing. At least in this Club Forum.

Just consider the following examples:

The Bee Gees
    The Bee Gees were touted by manager Robert Stigwood as the “next Beatles” upon the release of their first U.S. single, ‘New York Mining Disaster 1941.’ Atco Records sent DJs copies of the single with blank labels to create the impression that it was a new Beatles’ song. “If you sounded like the Beatles and also could write a hit single, then the hype of the machine would go into action.
    The Bay City Rollers
    In September 1975, the Bay City Rollers made their U.S. debut on ABC’s ‘Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell.’ The Scottish boy band, who wore tartan plaid on stage, was introduced by Cosell as the “new Beatles.” That didn’t happen. A few hits followed but, by 1978, the Bay City Rollers had disappeared from the charts.

Badfinger
    Badfinger seemed poised to become the “next Beatles” when they signed with Apple Records and scored a Top 10 hit in 1970 with ‘Come and Get It,’ written and produced by Paul McCartney. Comparisons with the Beatles increased as members of the band performed on records by John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison. The tragedies and bad luck that followed for Badfinger have, of course, become legend.

The Knack
    When Rolling Stone in 1979 christened the Knack “the new fab four,” comparisons to the Beatles were inevitable.  Critics soon turned on the band, which was unable to repeat the overnight success of ‘My Sharona.’ A “Knuke the Knack” campaign was started and, in mid-1982, the band split up.

Terence Trent D’Arby
    He would later brag, “My album is better than ‘Sgt. Pepper,’” the Beatles’ landmark 1967 release.

Oasis
    “It’s really important to be bigger than the Beatles,” Liam said in 1996. “I think we’re better than the Beatles. … They ain’t the best band in the world – we are.” By 2009, however, Oasis was over — thought the Gallaghers continue to cover Beatles’ songs with their new bands.

One Direction
    Paul McCartney cautioned the band on Britain’s Daybreak TV show. “So many bands, they all get called the next Beatles. It puts an awful lot of pressure on them to be the next Beatles. Oasis were the next Beatles once, if you remember. It’s pressure because suddenly you have got to live up to all the things that we did.”

Finally, Bruce Springsteen. after the release of his first album, he was promoted as the new Dylan. He had a good album and went on to great success, but was never the next Dylan.

• Timothy Connelly

29/10/2018 at 03:02

Hey Howard,

I always appreciate your feedback. If you think I’m over analyzing, I’m sure you’re not alone. On this particular post, I feel like I’m okay. But I’m fine with your disagreements and criticisms. I know you’re only being honest and you’re all about Mona and Lisa. When I veer off course, it’s great to know you’ll be there, pointing me back in the right direction.

You give some excellent examples of artists who have been taken advantage of by management. I’m not sure that needs to prevent Mona and Lisa from being open to future management deals; it just means they need to be careful. Irving Azoff made all of the Eagles multi-millionaires- including Don Felder, who got kicked out of the band. Robert Stigwood was accused by the Bee Gees of stealing 120 million dollars from them. Only a few years later they refused an honor unless he was honored with them. Brian made some terrible deals for the Beatles yet we may never have heard of them were it not for him. Management is rarely perfect or just what we want but it can serve a purpose from time to time.

• Howard

29/10/2018 at 04:45

Yep Tim. That’s the Ying and Yang of it. However, unlike you, I don’t see how external management can assist Mona and Lisa achieve their dreams when their current management is doing that just fine.

There will always be those who hope to cash in on the talent and achievements of others and although this may have it’s rewards, there’s more to life than money (‘Can’t Buy Me love’), and there is ALWAYS a downside, and not just the loss of creative control.  Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I for one have not been the slightest bit interested in the popular music world for some years, although I have to admit there is some excellent talent out there, however, my attitude changed when I discovered the MonaLisa Twins and their unique perspective that I find refreshing, inspiring and rewarding. Maybe I’m being a little bit selfish here, but I’d prefer to see them eking out a reasonably successful existence financially, doing their thing, their way, rather than becoming megastars toiling in a world of hype and exploitation!

I guess this is the reason I decided that purchasing their albums and products from their store wasn’t enough and decided to make regular donations through their ‘Donation’ option. I would encourage all MLT Club members to do likewise if at all possible. I know some of you would not be able to and are doing all you can via the club and Store purchases. The more we give, the more product MLT can provide for our entertainment. Even ten pound a month is quite significant when multiplied by many members. Not a lot for you Brits and Americans but significant for me with our lousy exchange rate at the moment.

Sent from my iPad

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!