• Brown Eyed Girls

Posted by Jung Roe on 11/12/2019 at 16:33

Looking through some of the pictures posted in this years Advent Calendar so far, on one of them I noticed you both have the prettiest brown eyes.  Reminded me of this song. ?❤?

https://youtu.be/kqXSBe-qMGo

I know there are other songs but cant think of them now.  Perhaps others might chime in.

Jacki Hopper replied 4 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • David Herrick

11/12/2019 at 16:45

Without cheating by using the Internet, the only one that comes to mind is Crystal Gayle’s “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue”.

I’m reminded also of a verse from a song I learned in grade school music class:

Old Joe Clark, he had a wife.

Her name was Betty Sue.

She had two great big brown eyes.

The other two were blue.

• Jung Roe

12/12/2019 at 00:46

Hi David.  That one, Dont It Make My Brown Eyes Blue is the only other one that comes to mind.  Found Bob Marleys Looking Into Your Big Brown Eyes is another I found online which is a nice reggae tune.

• Howard

12/12/2019 at 12:38

How about the line: “When I look into your big brown eyes”

“The Birds and the Bees” – Jewel Akens (1964)

https://youtu.be/NAPoxEdwLJM

Let me tell ya ’bout the birds and the bees
    And the flowers and the trees
    And the moon up above
    And a thing called ‘Love’

Let me tell ya ’bout the stars in the sky
    And a girl and a guy
    And the way they could kiss
    On a night like this

When I look into your big brown eyes
    It’s so very plain to see
    That it’s time you learned about the facts of life
    Starting from A to Z

• David Herrick

12/12/2019 at 15:00

Good one, Howard!  That brings a question to mind:  in Australia is Z pronounced “zee” or “zed”?

I hadn’t been aware of this one, but Fleetwood Mac did a song called “Brown Eyes” in 1979.

• Jung Roe

13/12/2019 at 05:36

The Birds and the Bees song is delightful Howard, and it has Brown Eyes lyrics too.

Haven’t listened to Fleetwood Mac in ages, and their “Brown Eyes” is pretty good.  Do you remember David the days their Rumours Album was just about everywhere and played all the time.  They were so huge at one time.

• David Herrick

13/12/2019 at 13:30

Hey, Jung.  I probably overheard a lot of Fleetwood Mac back in the day, but as a musical anti-conformist I didn’t make any effort to learn who played what.  I’ve been catching up in recent years, in large part due to my wife, who is a big Fleetwood Mac fan.

How about in Canada?  “Zee” or “zed”?

• Jung Roe

13/12/2019 at 15:40

Hi David.  Zed with a passion indeed.  If I spell something out and said zee, someone would correct me for sure.  In Canada we are proud of our zed it seems.  LOL.

• David Herrick

13/12/2019 at 15:45

Well, in the U.S. “zed” reeks of an era of colonial imperialism.  We fought a war just so that Jewel Akens could have his little rhyme someday.

• Howard

14/12/2019 at 12:08

Australians use the English pronunciation of zed for Z There’s a British TV show that ran during the sixties and seventies that would sound very weird to us if it was pronounced the American way.

”Z-Cars or Z Cars /ˈzɛd ˌkɑːrz/ is a British television drama series centred on the work of mobile uniformed police in the fictional town of Newtown, based on Kirkby, Lancashire. Produced by the BBC, it debuted in January 1962 and ran until September 1978.

The series differed sharply from earlier police procedurals. With its less-usual Northern setting, it injected a new element of harsh realism into the image of the police, which some found unwelcome.

Z-Cars ran for 801 episodes, of which fewer than half have survived. Regular stars included: Stratford Johns (Detective Inspector Barlow), Frank Windsor (Det. Sgt Watt), James Ellis (Bert Lynch) and Brian Blessed (“Fancy” Smith). Barlow and Watt were later spun into a separate series Softly, Softly.”

• David Herrick

14/12/2019 at 17:20

Hmmm…  In the U.S., little kids learn the alphabet by singing it to the tune of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star”, and Z is rhymed with V in the verse.  Is that just not a thing in Canada and Australia?  (And the U.K., for that matter.)

• Howard

15/12/2019 at 00:37

Not a thing here as far as I know David.

• Jung Roe

16/01/2020 at 16:30

In my neck of the woods growing up, 10 of the 12 TV stations were all from the USA, less than 20 miles away where the 38th parallel/border is.  So Zed and metric system usually went out the door in favor of Zee and the Imperial system of miles, feet and inches in daily life.  It was only later in higher education we would get our wrist slapped for saying Zee instead of Zed.  I personally feel more inspired using the US imperial system of inch, foot, miles, pound, gallon versus rest of the world metric system of mm, cm, KM, KG Litres etc.  I can gauge in my mind what 60 miles per hour or 180 pounds is versus 105 KM/hr or 80 KG which are just numbers.  I always thought Zed was a Canadian thing, but I learned today the whole english speaking world except the US pronounce it Zed.  My life is changed forever!  🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JTATv3mW1U

• David Herrick

16/01/2020 at 19:30

Great video, Jung; thanks for posting it!  Very interesting to learn the history there.  But of course, the guy is disingenuous when he says most of the English-speaking world says “zed”, because most (64%) of the English-speaking world is American.

• Jacki Hopper

17/01/2020 at 03:52

Zed indeed… EH?????

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!