MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Canadian Bands MLT could cover of:

• Canadian Bands MLT could cover of:

Posted by Jacki Hopper on 20/12/2019 at 14:35

Coming across in scrolling through here, the reply I made and then it was Howard I believe, or someone added to my reply in their own posting, regarding that DVD of Candian Rock Bands history, or similar subject thereof. Anyways, got me to thinking, of the music scene in Canada in the 50s-70s, in particular…. Guess Who, Randy Bachman, BTO, Lighthouse, FiveMan Electrical Band, etc… I can see the gals tackling some Canadian music flavourings from this Era in Canada’s music history…. The DVD was both fascinating/Interesting and educational… I learned to match faces with bands of whom I heard their songs of but never exactly seen their faces or knew the band names to go with songs… I was but a youngster in the 70s, teen s in the 80s….thus in the 70s, though a child, if I liked a song I heard on radio, I’d remember the song and how it went over who it was dung by… Lol… I just know great music when I hear it…. If it moves me, I’m hooked….

Jacki Hopper replied 4 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Jung Roe

20/12/2019 at 15:52

There were some very awesome Canadian rock for sure.

Guess Who – American Woman, These Eyes.

BTO- Taking Care of Business.

With Trooper – There is a whole library of great music.  Pretty Lady, Two For The Show, Santa Maria….

• David Herrick

20/12/2019 at 17:15

The Guess Who are amazing!  Besides the songs Jung mentioned, there’s Laughing, Undun, No Time, and No Sugar Tonight.  I fell in love with each of these songs separately, not knowing at the time that they weren’t all by different groups.

I just read on Wikipedia about how they got their name:

That year [1965] the band produced their first hit, a 1965 rendition of Johnny Kidd & the Pirates’ “Shakin’ All Over”.  Quality Records credited the single only to “Guess Who?” in an attempt to build a mystique around the record — and very specifically, to help create an impression that the record was recorded by an already-successful British band (perhaps even The Beatles) working incognito.  After Quality Records revealed the band to be the Canadian act Chad Allan & The Expressions, disc jockeys continued to announce the group as Guess Who?, effectively forcing the band to accept the new name.

• Jacki Hopper

20/12/2019 at 19:27

Yes of course… These guys all rock – – EH?!.. I’ve seen and met Trooper… I wasn’t impressed with one or two of band members, their “Behavior” did not impress me and therefore wasn’t amused unfortunately, and have rather tarnished my liking for them as people, but their music is still good.  (They were teaming up with my Glass Tiger buddies at the time)

• Jung Roe

22/12/2019 at 05:56

That’s and interesting and funny insight David into how the Guess Who got their name.  Love their songs too and the ones you mentioned.

• Tomás F. Calvo

16/01/2020 at 16:29

I had never heard of Gordon Lightfoot until I heard the song “Heart Songs” by Weezer. If the Twins are looking to sixtyfy some good songs, there might be something here. “If You Could Read My Mind” is a beautiful, heartfelt song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK–A-IaZnA

Then there’s the Barenaked Ladies that I always thought had a Beatles vibe to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk

• David Herrick

16/01/2020 at 19:05

“It’s All Been Done” is one of a vanishingly small number of then-new songs I’ve encountered in the last 30 years that I loved from the first time I heard it.  Eventually I figured out that it’s because it reminds me of “You Won’t See Me”.  So I guess it really HAS all been done.

• Jacki Hopper

17/01/2020 at 03:57

Whaaaat…?!?!… Tomas… Never heard of Gordon Lightfoot?!?! Whoa… He’s an Iconic Canadian Music Legend Gem… Oh my, you ‘ve got to catchup on his music, ???????… BareNaked Ladies are cool, so is Blue Rodeo, and my fave Canadian Band Glass Tiger…. I may not recall all whom in Canadian music scene from 50s-70s moreso than from 80s-now with exceptions of a few…. I tend to recall songs first before who sang them… ?

• Howard

17/01/2020 at 05:18

I know what you mean Jacki. Well known in Australia, especially in the seventies.

• Jung Roe

17/01/2020 at 05:38

I’ve known Gordon Lightfoot and some of his great songs for a long time, but I never knew he was Canadian!

• Tomás F. Calvo

26/01/2020 at 05:11

Well, I guess Mr. Lightfoot, didn’t make it to Argentina. Had to move to LA to find out. ?

• Jacki Hopper

26/01/2020 at 23:53

Tomas… Your reply re:Gordon Lightfoot… Very funny… Good one???

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!