MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Charles Hardin Holley

• Charles Hardin Holley

Posted by Dale Harris on 17/08/2020 at 23:53

With so many artists of the 60’s and 70’s covering his songs, from The Beatles to Blind Faith to Linda Ronstadt et al., I think it is safe to say Buddy Holly was one the pioneers of rock & roll.  I was wondering if you ever studied any of his stuff, or would consider covering any of his compositions? Pretty sure you would crush “True Love Ways”.

Jung Roe replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    17/08/2020 at 23:55

Buddy Holly rules! I had to think for a second whether we ever covered one of his tunes but I don’t think so. We love the groundwork he’s helped lay for what pop was going to evolve into.

We love the beginnings of rock n’ roll – the simpler, slightly cheesy but innovative songs – for what they are, but what would happen during the 60s thanks to guys like him is what took it all to the next level. In my humble opinion 🙂 The best example of course being the Beatles who took those influences and added so much more depth and finesse to ‘rock n roll’ and pop music.

So in a way you could say I love Buddy Holly more for the music he has helped create through his influence than the music he recorded himself 🙂

• Jung Roe

18/08/2020 at 07:50

Speaking of the Beatles, last month I heard on our CBC National news broadcast in Canada a news report that in 2020, only two bands sold over a million album units, and the Beatles was one of them.  50+ years later and they are still tops in album sales!  Here is a Forbes article about it.

• Howard

18/08/2020 at 11:23

Well I’m with Dale on this one Lisa. The Beatles do a great cover of Holly’s “Words of Love” on their “Beatles For Sale” album with beautiful harmonies well suited to you and your baby sister. They also do a nice cover of his “Crying, Waiting, Hoping” on their “Live At The BBC” album.

An excellent live version is this one from Marshall Crenshaw in the La Bamba movie.

Marshall Crenshaw – Buddy holly – crying waiting hoping

https://youtu.be/XkDQWEqtCuw

• Howard

18/08/2020 at 11:56

Now Lisa, it is so sad that we haven’t heard a Buddy Holly cover from you. Especially since he had such an influence on bands like the Beatles. Why they were even inspired to name themselves after his band, the Crickets.

I know you and Mona really want to do it and I’m sure you could nail it, just the three of you, or even just you and Mona in a Duo Session with you on guitar and Mona on that Cajon thing of hers, you know, that box thing you like to sit on!

This is another Holly song I think you are well suited to.

From the Beatles For Sale album of 1964

https://youtu.be/no-nuFTHetE

• Howard

18/08/2020 at 11:57

And from the year before – 1963.

The Beatles performing “Words Of Love” On Air – Live at the BBC Vol. 2

https://youtu.be/r5nARZKS-AY

• Howard

18/08/2020 at 12:03

And just one more.

Marty Stuart- Crying, Waiting, Hoping (The Marty Stuart Show)

https://youtu.be/5U-y8ALeK7Y

Now how cool would it be to see Lisa on guitar, Mona on drums and papa Rudi on bass doing a Holly number.

• Jung Roe

18/08/2020 at 12:55

I came across this cute quote the other day while searching for music quotes about time.  This must be a pretty common predicament for professional musicians for Leonard  Bernstein to coin a phrase.

So much music, too little time.  – Leonard Bernstein.

Anyway, this lockdown days isn’t doing much for my sleep pattern for someone use to a rigid work schedule for the past 30 years.  Good night from ???

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!