• Choice of Key

Posted by David Herrick on 23/03/2020 at 15:24

When you cover a song in a key that is different from the original, what typically motivates that choice?  Is the new key more straightforward to play in?  A better fit to your vocal ranges?  More aesthetically pleasing to you?

Thomas Randall replied 4 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    23/03/2020 at 15:24

Hi David,
    90% of the time we choose the key to fit our vocal ranges best. If transposing a song makes it sound just a little bit better for our particular voices, we will always go for it. Since we like to cover a lot of tunes that are originally performed by men, it’s more often than not that we change something 🙂

• Jung Roe

24/03/2020 at 04:09

Great question David!  Lisa, always love the insight into your music creation.  You and Mona have remarkable versatility and vocal range to be able to cover such a broad spectrum of music doing it great justice and capturing it’s essence perfectly in your own style.

• Paul Steinmayer

24/03/2020 at 11:07

I agree!  You always seem to find the perfect way to arrange a song to suit you!  Not an easy thing when doing covers…

• Jacki Hopper

24/03/2020 at 18:39

Ah… Good Q, Lisa kinda touched on that “Transposing” term, in which I asked  about what that meant with a Q of my own… I now kind of have an idea, based on Lisa’s reply here, what “Transposing” means… I enjoyed reading /learning as I go here, of new things.

• Thomas Randall

28/03/2020 at 00:46

When playing along to MLT’s version of “Please, Please me” you have to play 1 step up (2 frets) from the original for instance. It’s a tad different but still cool! LOVE their version!

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!