• Christmas pictures

Posted by Chris Weber on 03/12/2023 at 19:44

I thought it might be nice to see how everyone celebrates the holidays around the world.

I’ve never gone to this, but they put up a big Christmas tree in downtown Detroit. Right next to the skating rink in the park. This is one of the places where there’s a big stage in the summer for the jazz festival. 100,000 people showed up to watch the tree go up.

If you’re trying to orient yourself, the camera is facing south down Woodward Avenue, and Windsor, Canada is about half a mile away in that direction, across the river.

Tim Arnold replied 8 months, 4 weeks ago 9 Members · 102 Replies
  • 102 Replies
  • Chris Weber

03/12/2023 at 19:53

And they do something similar in New York City as well. This is Rockefeller Center, in midtown.

I worked a contract for NBC a few years back, and visited them in that tall building behind the tree a couple times. We built websites for kids tv shows. There’s a skating rink by the tree here too. And it’s made it into more than a few movies.

• Jürgen

04/12/2023 at 16:15

Hi Chris,

a very nice idea. I can’t offer places as impressive as New York, but how about the Christmas market in my hometown Moers?

Or the supposedly largest Christmas tree in the world in Dortmund? It is 45 meters high (around 147 ft.) and weighs around 40 tons. To be precise, it consists of 1000 spruce trees and and has been rebuilt every year since 1996.

• Chris Weber

04/12/2023 at 18:04

That Christmas market looks great. That looks like they’re serving food and drink there. I’ll bet being at the top of the ferris wheel can get cold this time of year. What kind of drinks do they serve there? Gluhwein?

Over 40 years ago, when I moved to the area I now live in, the 3 oldest restaurants were all German. Only two of them still remain, but I still like to go.

The reason I thought of that is because one of those restaurants has always served Dortmunder Union dark beer. It looks like the people of Dortmund think big, and I like that. That is a serious tree.

• Jürgen

04/12/2023 at 18:48

Yes Chris, there is a lot of food and drink on offer at the Christmas market. We traditionally drink mulled wine at the Christmas market. The most famous mulled wine comes from the Christmas market in Nuremberg („Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt“), the oldest and most famous Christmas market in Germany. But mead, eggnog and lumumba or hot chocolate are also offered. Plus a “Bratwurst” (roast sausage) or roasted almonds, roasted chestnuts, candied apples, cotton candy and mulled wine sweets.

Haha Chris, I didn’t think you would be familiar with Dortmund beer. Yes, the Dortmund Actien Brewery (DAB for short) is an old, traditional brewery here in the Ruhr area. The classic DAB is a light pilsner beer. Actually, every major city in our area used to have its own brewery. Many of them were no longer profitable and had to close. Beer consumption here is declining. The drink is no longer so popular among the younger generation. They prefer alcoholic drinks to be sweet and sticky.

What are your Christmas market traditions like?

https://youtu.be/Ig4uyVAOCoU?si=Mjd1Qw9qxHiGloU

• Chris Weber

04/12/2023 at 21:20

My first reaction was to tell you that there are no Christmas markets here.

But then I asked Google about it, and it seems there are a few. And they are modeled after German ones. This one lasted only one day, about a mile from my house. I guess I missed it. Hard for me to call it a tradition.

https://kerrytowndistrict.org/kindlefest

There is a town north of here named Frankenmuth, Michigan. It’s whole shtick is to be a German town. It has large restaurants serving German style food, and yes, I see now, they also had a Christkindlmarkt.

https://www.frankenmuth.org/christmas/

I can buy DAB beer in bottles around here. That restaurant I mentioned had the pilsner too, of course, but I like the dark in the cold months. European beer, in particular German, Belgian and British, is still easy to find here, but in recent decades there has been a huge rise in microbreweries in America. It is pretty easy to start a microbrewery, and they are everywhere.

They tend to follow a certain style – lots of hops, alcohol, and sweetness. I prefer old world styles of beer, but I don’t drink much beer of any kind any more. If I’m drinking something from Germany, it’s most likely Riesling.

You mentioned bratwurst – they are very popular in America. The closest store to my house is Aldi’s. So I can easily buy sausage or red cabbage, for example, that’s made in Germany.

• Jung Roe

05/12/2023 at 02:46

Hi Jurgen

The Christmas Markets in Europe look wonderful, make ours in NA pale in comparison I think. The one in Nuremburg you posted is listed as the best in Europe in Trip Advisor. The one in Vancouver is just an open square downtown blocked off with wooden fences and temporary Christmas decorated huts built up inside for the little shops and eateries. But the treats look delicious, and with the music and lights, doesn’t take long to feel the Christmas spirit.

https://youtu.be/hDSncuys7C0?si=Ogg6nrApGOSP5NQP

• Chris Weber

05/12/2023 at 02:51

Jung,

That looked pretty nice to me. And that melted cheese looked good.

Thanks.

• Jung Roe

05/12/2023 at 02:52

Hi Chris. I was just drooling over that melted cheese plate. 😁

• Jürgen

05/12/2023 at 07:26

Hi Jung,

yes, every major city here has its own Christmas market. The one in Nuremberg is the best known. I don’t know if it’s the most beautiful. I have not been there. I think the individual Christmas markets come alive from the scenes in the background. Cities like Munich, Cologne, Aachen, or Münster have it very easy because the Christmas markets there are always set up in the immediate vicinity of the local cathedrals and the respective historic old town. Münster alone, not far from here, has six Christmas markets.

The Christmas market in Vancouver looks pretty. Here, in cities without a historic center, the same thing is done: a Christmas village is built out of huts and wooden fences and many small sales stands are then set up there.

• Chris Weber

16/12/2023 at 23:34

Jürgen,

I noticed that you said the markets are built near the cathedrals.

In that picture from New York City, from the place where that shot was taken, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is behind, to the right, about half a block away, maybe 50m.

• Jürgen

17/12/2023 at 09:10

Hi Chris,

that sounds interesting. New York is famous for many things here, but we don’t really hear or see much about the churches and cathedrals there. I’ve now googled St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Nestled between skyscrapers. I think that’s typical for New York City.

Friends of mine live in Cologne. Not very far from here at all. The Christmas market at Cologne Cathedral and in Cologne’s old town is also very impressive. But I haven’t been there for many years. Many Christmas markets are very crowded today and there is always a lot of hustle and bustle there. I don’t like it as much as I used to.

https://youtu.be/Xz7xoVjoQ9U?si=fX3sCHYnZAoyp6hg

• Chris Weber

17/12/2023 at 20:35

That looks great in Cologne.

Some people don’t like crowded attractions very much. I understand. I like some of them, some of the time. I went to two American football games this year. I went to a classical music concert a few weeks ago. I love going to the local farmer’s markets, things like that.

I don’t have any little ones around any more who would make a visit to a Christmas fair like that more fun, but I would still go to check it out. But I will see my grand nieces and grand nephews in the next week or so, so that’s good.

• Daryl Jones

04/12/2023 at 22:05

Haven’t put up a lot of decorations yet, hung the banner on the garage door Sunday before the livestream…and I did get some lights up today. I’ll try and get a couple shots after dark but it’s certainly not what I’d call Candy Cane Lane. I used to get pretty crazy with the lights and other figures when I was younger. We got a smaller 4′ fiberoptic tree last year (it is still in the attic yet) as we were afraid our two young and adventurous felines would have a heyday climbing a full size tree. Back in the day, it was always a great adventure to head out and harvest a wild tree in the back country. And no, I didn’t fell a large conifer, I learned a long time ago how to “top” a tree so that it would still continue to grow. I actually topped the same tree twice in about 15 years and got two really beautiful Christmas pines. For now we still have our Christmas cactus but not for much longer, as the blooms are starting to decorate the floor in the solarium.
    We did get a dusting of snow overnight, but it warmed to above freezing today again so it’s melted off mostly. I don’t do winter sports anymore, but still it’s hard to get really wound up with decorating when there’s no winter wonderland like we normally get. But we had very little snow this time last year and there was a pile of it by mid month.
    In the vernacular of my Irish ancestral home “Nollaig Shona Dhuit” and in my namesake Welsh “Nadolig Llawen” one and all.

• Chris Weber

04/12/2023 at 22:21

I used to have a Christmas cactus, but it succumbed to my black thumb. Beautiful though while it lasted, and at a time of year without a lot of other colour.

I used to buy live trees, and go through all of that, but one year I told my daughter that, instead of buying a tree, I’d just give her the money instead that I would have spent on it. Sold.

Merry Christmas to you as well. Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad. Those are my extra languages. I have a lot of Irish in me too, but never studied the language.

I’m not sure why there isn’t already a Star Trek style universal translator, since the technology exists. If there’s one thing ChatGPT does well, it’s translate. Or at least, I think it does.

• Daryl Jones

06/12/2023 at 15:32

I tried to learn Gaelic before we went to Ireland 12 years ago, but while the local folk where it is the common tongue seemed to appreciate the attempt of conversing, they politely steered me back into English. It’s a very difficult language (at least for me) to master.
      I tried to capture some scenes from town with the light displays last night, but time constraints and an impatient spouse prevented that. I hope I can manage some when I’m on my own. It’s a small burg, under 3000 souls so it’s not grandiose like the big cities, and the lack of snow cover sort of spoils the feel, at least for me. There are some really nice residential displays though. Mine is kind of a quick throw-together but it does lighten the spirits right now.

• Chris Weber

07/12/2023 at 02:02

Very nice. And looks like at least a little snow.

• Daryl Jones

07/12/2023 at 15:34

Very little snow so far. We don’t ride snowmobiles anymore, or ski (never did snowboard) so we don’t really take advantage of winter now. But now that I’m not stuck in a daily grind and plowing isn’t a pain in the backside, I still like the snow. And we usually get plenty of it. this is closer to Christmas time last year; by late February the banks were about 4 times this height. During really heavy years I have to push snow way back onto the yard/lawn areas and have actually had to get a bobcat in to remove some of the piles. I have a good relationship with the removal crew for our village so they don’t mind me pushing out onto the sides of the front lane and then the grader operator moves it. plus I usually open up the neighbor’s drives for them. What goes around…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Daryl Jones.
    • Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 04:58

Nice Daryl. I like the all blue light effect over the drive way, kind of bluesy psychedelic.

• Daryl Jones

07/12/2023 at 15:23

It was just kind of a throw together thing this year. I used to have a theme or at least a plan in mind but with things so messed up this year I just got a couple nice days and decided to make the best of it. Lots of my lighted figures suffered the ravages of time and I never replaced them. smart people set mounts and bases before the ground freezes. I said “smart” people haha.

• Jürgen

05/12/2023 at 07:31

Our neighboring European countries also have a lot to offer at Christmas, although not all countries have traditional Christmas markets.

By the way: The largest Christmas market in Europe takes place in Strasbourg. A very beautiful and romantic city.

https://youtu.be/r_Jlx1qRH5M?si=omgJf72vgVnktxX3

• Chris Weber

06/12/2023 at 05:51

I recognize some of those neighborhoods in Paris, since I’ve been there a number of times, but never at Christmas time.

The only time I was in Europe around Christmas, I was in London. Twice. I remember going to Harrod’s in 1986. It was very busy.

• Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 05:35

Hi Jurgen

That was a peaceful and beautiful video. Thanks. The white lights in Paris at night with the Eiffel Tower in the background looks fabulous. I’ve never been across the Atlantic, but Europe keeps calling. One day.

Back in 2006 I visited Seoul South Korea to see some relatives, and it was a few weeks before Christmas, and I was quite impressed by the Christmas lights and display all around the city. Here’s a short video with highlights last year of Christmas lights around the Seoul.

https://youtu.be/XKlKF7HsPOU?si=dCjzg6SNr_e8oLF3

• Chris Weber

07/12/2023 at 10:14

Jung,

That was cool. Interesting version of Oh Come All Ye Faithful. Reminded me of when I was a choir boy in grade school. I still remember the harmony I used to sing to that, although I’m not a soprano any more. But the version on the video sounded like a mechanical voice singing it.

I have the opposite problem from you. I have never been to Asia but I would like to go sometime. And Seoul is on my shortlist. I live in a city of 120,000 people which has always had around 3 dozen Korean restaurants. I don’t know why there are so many, but I’ve gone through a lot of Bi Bim Bop in my time here. Yeah and kimchi and other banchan. Lots of gochujang. Food is one of my other hobbies. It would be very cool to try out restaurants in Korea.

My daughter is seriously into video games, so Seoul is the #1 place in the world that she’d like to go, so I’ll have a traveling partner when the time comes.

• Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 10:54

Hi Chris

Come All Ye Faithful is a great traditional Christmas song, and it must have felt beautiful singing it. The one in the video at first is OK, but that mechanical voice gets a little irritating by the end. What Child Is This based on the Greensleeves melody is another favourite traditional Christmas song of mine.

Wow you have 3 dozen Korean restaurants in the city, and it looks like you know some of the Korean terminology well. 👍 Bi Bim Bop is one of my faves, and it’s funny whenever I fly to Korea on Korean Airlines they serve Bi Bim Bop on the plane, and it’s one of the best I’ve tasted. Imagine that, airplane food tasting so good. Hope you and your daughter get to go to Korea together, and be sure to order the Bi Bim Bop on the plane. 😊 jjajangmyeon is also another very popular soul food kind of dish like Bi Bim Bop, but is a noodle, like spaghetti, very popular among young Koreans. Some of my faves are Yuke Jang (hot spicy beef soup), and Budae Jjigae (spicy hot pot soup). Couldn’t fall asleep tonight so jumped on here for a bit, and reading your post is making me hungry now. 😁

• Chris Weber

07/12/2023 at 11:15

I love jjigaes. Soon dubu Jjigae is a favorite. I am pretty open minded about trying food that not every American would try. I know only a few food words in Korean. Jang is sauce, for example. I probably know more German than Korean. But for all practical purposes, zero of both. I do remember once, someone in the Club wrote a post in German, and I looked at it and thought, I know what that means! Only happened once though.

Thanks for the tip on Korean Air. I will remember it. If you ever go to Paris, I recommend Air France. They have real food too.

I remember flying back from Paris once on Northwest Airlines. We stopped on the way to the airport at a traiteur, which is a shop that sells prepared foods. We skipped the Northwest dinner and ate the good food we brought — I don’t think they’d let us do that now. The French people across the aisle apparently didn’t know to do that, and they were not happy. C’est mauvais, ca.

• Tim Arnold

10/12/2023 at 02:32

That’s beautiful Jurgen, not hard to get into the Christmas spirit watching that.

• Tim Arnold

06/12/2023 at 04:59

Nothing spectacular just the Canadian Pacific Railways Holiday Train stopping in Sparta WI tonight. They have been coming through for around 10 years. They stop and do a show for about 20 minutes or so. I’ve gone in the past but didn’t go tonight. My niece to these photos. I think they make the trip across the northern part of the US and then make the return trip across southern Canada. It’s a nice thing they do and usually draws a good crowd.

• Chris Weber

06/12/2023 at 05:50

That’s cool. I was trying to see if the train went through Michigan, but all I found were Canadian cities. But one of them was Windsor, so not too far away.

• Tim Arnold

06/12/2023 at 17:50

Chris, it was headed west into the Dakotas and then into western Canada. It started in Maine so I’m not sure if it came through Michigan. I did find out there are two trains, One going across the US and western Canada and the other stays in Canada.

• Chris Weber

06/12/2023 at 18:02

Okay, so since it was headed away from me, I have almost a year to figure it out if I want to ck it out next year.

I know there are train lines that go to/from US and Canada as if the border wasn’t really there. One that comes to mind is the Grand Trunk Railroad in Flint.

https://www.michiganradio.org/arts-culture/2015-06-03/did-classic-rock-band-grand-funk-railroad-write-their-name-on-the-grand-trunk-rr-bridge-in-flint

• Tim Arnold

06/12/2023 at 18:14

That’s a good story, I like seeing the graffiti painted on the box cars passing through. There are some very good spray can artists out there. I can’t think of a better name for a railroad than Grand Funk. I was just thinking about train songs too. I think my favorites are Train, Train by Blackfoot and I like Mystery Train by Elvis.

• Chris Weber

06/12/2023 at 18:28

Train Kept a Rollin’ was an old blues tune that Aerosmith covered.

• Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 05:31

Hi Tim

Christmas train sounds really amazing. Looks like you can stand in one place and watch a train parade with lights and music pass by. I’ve never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

• Tim Arnold

07/12/2023 at 16:42

Jung, yeah it is really cool, The whole train is lit up. They stop the stage car on the crossing, drop the door and put on a show for 20-30 minutes. They have a Santa that mingles in the crowd. Canadian Pacific also donates a good sized check to the local food pantry. They stop in a lot of small towns across the northern US and Canada.

• Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 17:47

Hi Tim

That CP Christmas train is for a really good cause to, donating to the local food banks to help people. While it must be a lot of fun to watch the lighted up train pass by, I imagine for the train crew, it would be equally joyful watching peoples faces light up as they pass through the many towns.

• Jürgen

08/12/2023 at 09:33

Another Christmas Canadian Pacific, even only in 1:87 scale 😀

https://youtu.be/Imlq7eX6s48?si=X8d9LW_zMwg61e4I

• Tim Arnold

08/12/2023 at 18:38

Jurgen, that’s really cool. I like all that miniature modelling stuff. They really go to extremes to make all the scenes look so real. So much creativity and detail.

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 18:38

Jürgen,

That was very cool. I don’t remember ever seeing a model train with Christmas lights like that before. It reminds me of the Lionel train set I got when I was very little. 5 years old or less.

It’s amazing how many things I’ve seen in the Club have reminded me of something I hadn’t thought of for a long time.

Where is that train from? Nice touch to overlay that snow falling on it too.

• Jürgen

08/12/2023 at 19:10

Hi Chris and Tim,

thank you for enjoying the little train ride. Yeah, the whole thing reminds me of my childhood too. I always had a small model train set under the Christmas tree.

The Christmas Canadian Pacific is part of the „Minaturwunderland“ in Hamburg. The exhibition is located in the historic Speicherstadt of Hamburg and covers 1545 square meters. There are really cool things to see there. Scandinavia with water-filled fjords and remote-controlled ships and this beautiful airport (ok, that doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Christmas, but I’ll show it anyway…)

https://youtu.be/Qz4NcTnQedo?si=eFtLjwwMdypuZC__

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 23:56

That was interesting too. Such detail.

The more I think about it, I think I’ve seen the Hamburg model railroad before. Not recently though. Very cool.

• Jürgen

07/12/2023 at 12:53

Hi Jung,

very impressive Christmas impressions of Seoul. It is remarkable how much effort some Asian countries put into making their cities shine in Western Christmas splendor. I’ve been to Singapore three times so far. Once in autumn and twice at the beginning of winter. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to see the full Christmas decorations there yet.

https://youtu.be/v7nBW_mEgZE?si=x2yaeZuGHeWW1ERB

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 18:55

A friend of mine I worked with in 2 different startup companies lives in Singapore, I always thought it would be an interesting place to visit. Beautiful too, and I wouldn’t have to shovel snow. Any place where you have to fake snow to have any doesn’t sound all bad.

I had to look up Dino Glow though. I didn’t remember dinosaur/Godzilla types during Christmas. I guess it’s a toy they have here in the States too.

• Jürgen

07/12/2023 at 12:57

Christmas decoration in Laos 2019 😀

• Jung Roe

07/12/2023 at 17:42

Hi Jurgen

Christmas in Singapore looks like it would be very beautiful and festive, and I imagine quite warm too.

That Christmas decorated car is hilarious. If they went one step further and added neon lights to the car, it would really be something. Imagine this Audi with a Christmas tree tied to the roof. 😁

https://youtube.com/shorts/FjcGrqUfYuQ?si=QtQ3dPBO8vCcUYhA

• Jürgen

08/12/2023 at 19:40

Hi Jung,

I think it’s an old Citroen. And it’s roadworthy too. Laos isn’t that warm at this time of year. Maybe 25 degrees Celsius (77 °F). One night we even had -4 degrees Celsius (24.8°F). That was very, very unusual for the country and somehow quite cold in shorts and T-shirts. Singapore on the other hand can be warm and oppressively humid at Christmas.

The Christmas tree on the Audi must have to be very aerodynamic, otherwise it could be difficult above 300 km/h (sorry, I’m too lazy to convert to miles now). By the way, when I think of a car and a Christmas tree, I have to think of the Griswold’s 😂

https://youtu.be/FxTr5RD0CBk?si=SHBtSZxatcKcxrK9

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 20:07

A klick is 2/3 of a mile, more or less, so that’s around 200 mph.

Life is a lot of approximations anyway. 😄

• Jung Roe

10/12/2023 at 01:24

Hi Jurgen

That’s hilarious! “Did you bring the saw” after all that. I enjoyed all the Chevy Chase Griswold family vacation movies. I always laugh at those scenes of fast cars that pull up next to the station wagon on those quiet country highways. Maybe I’ll look up some Griswold family vacation movies over Christmas.

• Tim Arnold

10/12/2023 at 02:44

Jurgen, I’m watching Christmas Vacation right now, Lol. It’s my favorite Christmas movie. The sight gag that I think is so funny is Clark and Eddie drinking egg nog with the Marty Moose mugs he obviously got when they went to Wally World in the first movie.

• Jürgen

10/12/2023 at 05:40

Yeah Tim and Jung, it’s always fun to have the Griswold run across the screen at Christmas. My favorite scene is the part where Clark turns on the house’s Christmas lights and the entire city loses power. I always think of this scene when I see how pompously some people light up their houses at Christmas time.

• Chris Weber

10/12/2023 at 07:24

That movie is funny.

My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Carol, with Alastair Sim as Scrooge, from 1951.

• Tim Arnold

07/12/2023 at 18:10

Jurgen

Singapore looks very festive. I would love to experience that landslide of snow. I hope it is artificial snow. That car is pretty cool too. One year, shortly after Christmas we had a big snowstorm. Me and my brother Rod went to the city brush dump and hauled a bunch of the used Christmas trees back to his place and stuck them in the snow banks. We landscaped his driveway, his walks and around his house, it was beautiful, Lol. On his birthday in February we had a bonfire and burned all the trees. Just one of the crazy things we poor people did for entertainment before the internet.

• Chris Weber

07/12/2023 at 18:17

Nice cars. Do they have green ones to go with them?

• Tim Johnston

07/12/2023 at 18:14

These shots are from a few years ago, they are in Market Square in Pittsburgh with their tree and ice skating rink.

• Chris Weber

07/12/2023 at 20:19

Another serious tree. I used to think if I ever moved out to a farm, I’d use part of the land to plant Christmas trees. Yes, you need to trim them, but otherwise not that much work.

Or maybe this is just another example of anyone else’s job looks easy.

Anyways, thanks for posting that Tim.

• Tim Arnold

08/12/2023 at 18:25

Hey Chris, I have experience trimming Christmas trees. A local tree farmer used to hire teenagers to trim his trees. He had over 400 acres of trees in several different fields. It was a great part time job for a school kid that needed gas money. I wonder how many teenagers you could get these days to trim trees for $3.00 an hour?

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 19:04

Probably none. I remember my job in college I made around $1.25 per hour working in a restaurant. But $3 doesn’t go far these days.

My ex-wife’s brother has a big tree farm in Indiana. He has planted many acres of walnut trees, and in between the walnuts, there are evergreens, which grow faster. The evergreens encourage the walnuts to grow straight up towards the sunlight.

Some day his children or grandchildren are going to have a lot of valuable walnut trees. And in the meantime it’s not that much work.

• Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 19:32

Here’s a pic of midnight Christmas Eve from Calafate in southern Argentina. Where it’s pretty warm this time of year (I just checked, it’s 66 degrees there right now – 19C). If Santa’s trying to pilot his sleigh in the middle of that, he’d better be careful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmoorr/87448250

Christmas Eve, midnight, El Calafate
  • Chris Weber

08/12/2023 at 22:05

This is from Shenzhen, the IT capital of China, near Hong Kong. Not sure how fast it goes.

• Jürgen

17/12/2023 at 13:32

Hi Chris,

I roughly estimated how fast the vehicle you showed could be. Let’s assume that 1 reindeer power (1 RP) corresponds to 3/4 horsepower (PS or HP), then this vehicle would have around 3 horsepower. The Benz Patent Motorwagen from 1886 (see first photo), for example, had around 0.75 hp and thus briefly reached a speed of 16 km/h (9.94195555556 mph). The vehicle pulled by the reindeer should have a speed of at least 20 km/h (12.4274444444 mph). This does not take into account the weight of the driver, the current tire pressure of the wheels, the condition of the road or the general condition of the reindeer (hungry, thirsty, motivated). The vehicle may even have a top speed of 22 km/h (13.6701888889 mph). At this breathtaking speed, Santa Claus has to be careful that his hat doesn’t fly away. 😁

PS: Today’s Santa Claus likes things a little more comfortable and faster (see second photo).

• Tim Arnold

10/12/2023 at 03:19

This is a picture of the Christmas tree at the State Capitol in Madison Wisconsin, taken by my cousin Jeffrey.

• Chris Weber

10/12/2023 at 07:18

Nice tree. Somebody obviously earned his $3/hour on that one.

• Tim Arnold

10/12/2023 at 04:30

A couple pictures of our local Kindlemarkt earlier tonight. It was 50 degrees yesterday. 30’s tonight , snowy and windy. the snow is starting to stick now

• Jung Roe

11/12/2023 at 06:25

Hi Tim

With that snow, the Kindlemarkt is really feeling like Christmas. Those photos look suitable to appear on a Christmas card.

• Chris Weber

11/12/2023 at 08:25

Exactly, Jung. When I expand them, they almost look like they’ve been doctored. Colorized, like old movies, photoshopped, or yes, like Christmas cards. There’s like a sheen to them.

They look great.

• Tim Arnold

11/12/2023 at 16:02

Chris, Jung, It really was pretty with the big wet snowflakes falling amongst all the lights. Everyone was in a great mood, like Mona was talking about in the one livestream, sharing small talk with strangers is really pleasant this time of year. I am slowly starting to get into the Christmas spirit.

• Chris Weber

15/12/2023 at 17:44

Here’s a story I saw today about nursing home residents in Hungary who are able to “visit” Christmas fairs without leaving their beds by using Virtual Reality.

https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/hungarian-seniors-visit-christmas-fairs-idRW606415122023RP1/

• Tom Fones

16/12/2023 at 21:19

All of these Christmas scenes are very beautiful.

And culturally unique.

Jung, doesn’t Vancouver do something special? Just asking.

• Tom Fones

16/12/2023 at 21:16

Very beautiful. May Detroit be strong.

• Chris Weber

16/12/2023 at 23:56

Detroit is strong, my friend. It has a ways to go, but it’s working on it.

• Jung Roe

16/12/2023 at 23:33

Hi Tom et All

In Vancouver we have this little train ride in the city’s Stanley Park that has been there for ages. I remember going on it when I was in kindergarten. At Christmas they do the “Bright Nights at Stanley Park”, and the Christmas train ride is a popular attraction. I went on it about 10 years ago, but glad to see it’s still going on strong as ever. I highly recommend seeing the lights at Stanley Park for anyone visiting the city around Christmas time.

https://youtu.be/GfiyBJ8BYpY?si=e-hPU1rq585yIZ55

• Chris Weber

17/12/2023 at 00:03

That was great. All the trees lit up in front of the water was a great look, and into the woods.

Very cool. I’ve thought I’d like to visit Vancouver some day. I’ve always thought it must be a beautiful area with the water and the islands and forested mountains.

• Jung Roe

17/12/2023 at 08:47

Hi Chris

Stanley Park is one of Vancouver’s biggest gems, fortunately the city kept the forested park in tact within the middle of the city and the city grew around it. If you make it up to the Vancouver area definitely visit Stanley Park, and June to September is the best time to visit, weather wise with the most sunny days. And then a ferry ride to Vancouver Island to the city of Victoria is highly recommended. Victoria named after Queen Victoria with it’s old Victorian homes and architecture and English influence some joke is more British than Britain. There is a lot of forest, mountains, ocean and wildlife around Vancouver if you like nature. The tourist motto for our province is “Super Natural British Columbia”.

• Bud Jackson

17/12/2023 at 08:19

Jung,

I’ve been to Stanley Park a bunch of times in past Summers — Love It! But never in the Winter, & I didn’t know about the train. Sometime I’ll have to make it up there again! Thanks for the video!

Here’s one from my neck of the woods, although it rarely snows here during Christmas. We get some years with no snow, but usually a few times a year it will snow, and last for only a couple of days. (If you see any snow in this video, it’s fake!) — Bud

7th Annual Normandy Park Winterfest! #ShanzOutAndAbout – YouTube

• Jung Roe

17/12/2023 at 08:54

Hi Bud

Normandy Park Winterfest looks very Christmassy and a lot of fun. I use to explore all around that area, use to go to South Center a lot. You mentioned the Kingdome earlier, there is this Japanese market called Uwajimaya close to old Kingdome my parents always took us to whenever we visited Seattle. That place started as a really small store and kept growing and now I think it is a big Asian Supermarket. Do you know the place? They always had the best Japanese food/snacks, and we’ve been going there for ages.

• Tim Arnold

18/12/2023 at 02:46

Jung, I like that train. It would be fun to take the ride around the park in the train looking at all the lights.

Page 1 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!