MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Deciding who sings lead

Tagged: 

• Deciding who sings lead

Posted by Steve on 20/10/2018 at 22:50

I know with the Beatles whether John or Paul sang lead was typically based, not always but most of the time, on who wrote the song or at least the majority of it.  How do you guys decide who sings lead?  Is it based on who had the idea for the song, who contributed the most towards writing it, or is it more on whose vocal it best suits?

Howard replied 5 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Timothy Connelly

20/10/2018 at 23:04

Great question, Steve: I want to know, too!

• Howard

21/10/2018 at 02:50

Hi Steve

I asked a similar question but didn’t receive a response. Maybe because it was in someone else’s topic and got missed or because they were saving it for a future Q&A. Or maybe they just want to keep some mystery there and keep us wondering!

The Topic was: Which 5 of your own song lyrics are FAVES !?

“Would it be asking too much if you could let us know who is the originator of each of your songs on both albums? For instance, was ‘One More Time’ a Lisa idea and ‘Won’t You Listen Now’ Mona’s?”

• Michael Rife

21/10/2018 at 05:22

I asked them this same question on FB some time ago.  The answer they gave me was that they both try to sing the song and for whomever is works the best with sings the lead.  Mike

• Howard

21/10/2018 at 05:43

Thanks Mike. They are an eminently sensible  pair. The end result is the goal then.  If that’s the case,  I don’t think we’re going to have the squabbles we eventually had between John, Paul and George over what was selected for each album and who sang what.

All the better for us as we are the ones who benefit most from their collaboration. When I say collaboration, we must not forget the awesome Papa Rudi!

Good question Steve.

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    23/10/2018 at 01:00

Yes, we approach this on a song to song basis, going with whatever sounds the best for each tune. We always try to serve the song so it doesn’t really matter who wrote it in the first place and thankfully there is never any ego involved 🙂 I tend to sing more of the ballads while Mona is a lot better at “raspy” but then again there have also been many exceptions to that too … I guess there isn’t really a method other than both of us giving a song a try and then simply choosing what sounds best for each song.

• Howard

23/10/2018 at 05:38

Really nice to hear that Lisa even though it’s what I expected. The two of you seem to have an amazing rapport and somehow I couldn’t imagine either of you sweating the little stuff!

“Life is very short, and there’s no time / For fussing and fighting, my friend.”

I look forward to many more of your collaborations.

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!