MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Drum sets and tech?

• Drum sets and tech?

Posted by Rick Ross on 03/04/2020 at 22:31

Hi Ladies,
    Mona I believe I have seen in pics and videos that you have what I call an electric drum set. (Not sure of correct name) round disc shapes for the Toms and Cymbals.

Would you tell us the difference, sound difference, technical differences, and why the need for 2 different sets.

Thanks and hope you all are enjoying the recent parcel.

The best to each of you.

Rick

• 8 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    03/04/2020 at 22:33

Hi Rick!

You are right, I do own an E-drum kit, a Roland TD-12 and I used it very heavily in my early years of playing! The whole “Live in concert, 2007” album was recorded on one, and if you look up any of the YouTube clips from that concert you will see it in the videos, too.

You can program the individual drums and cymbals with any sounds you want which makes them very versatile, but more importantly you can turn down the volume to almost nothing. That came especially handy when we first moved to the UK. Our rehearsal space initially wasn’t nearly as well soundproofed as our rehearsal room in Austria, so there was no way we could use the regular drum kit without having the neighbours knock on our door. (It happened anyway but we quickly sorted things out 😉 )

I think it would go a bit too far to explain all the details about what an e-drum kit is and how it works but Wikipedia does a great job at that, if you are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_kit#Electronic_drums

Ever since that first concert we played in 2007 I haven’t used it live, but we have recorded bits and bobs on it throughout the years even as recently as on ORANGE.

At the moment it’s packed away in the garage because I have the Ludwig kit set up, and the studio isn’t big enough for the both of them.

I hope you’re well!
    Mona

• Rick Ross

03/04/2020 at 22:54

Thanks Mona for such a cool and interesting answer. Its Facinating to me to find out things about yours and Lisa’s instruments and how you do things.

I’m not musically inclined mainly from A medical issue when I was little. Even to this day my left and right hand can’t do the same or different things at the same time.

I am doing well. Thanks for asking.

Rick

• Paul Steinmayer

03/04/2020 at 22:58

What an interesting and informative explanation.  Thank you so very much Mona!

• Stephen Krogh

04/04/2020 at 02:46

I know I for one could only dream about being able to knock on your door when you began playing at home. But I would be there asking for you to play louder!

• Jung Roe

04/04/2020 at 04:19

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as an electronic drum kit!  Learnt something new today!

• Jacki Hopper

05/04/2020 at 05:52

Thanks Rick for great Q… Mona, your reply quite informative, learned things too that I wasn’t fully aware upon but now know, much appreciated ?

• Thomas Randall

05/04/2020 at 22:57

The E drums have come along way, I had some of the originals back in the day, a set of Simmons. I HATED them. It was like drumming on concrete. Really hard on the wrists. And the sounds no matter how you set the “Brain” stunk. I sold them. The new sets sound a lot better or course but I still prefer the real things even though I haven’t played in decades. Give me real drums every time. I’m glad Mona is using the real drumset.

• Francis Gerald (Jerry) Chamness

08/05/2020 at 13:49

Looking through old topics and found this especially interesting. Thanks for asking the question, Rick. And, thank you for answering, Mona! ??

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!