MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Favorite solo guitar piece

• Favorite solo guitar piece

Posted by Jung Roe on 04/05/2020 at 07:21

With MLT music, I always love the guitar pieces in both their originals and cover songs, especially in all Duo sessions!  For example in the most recent Close To You Duo session we are treated to the magnificent sounds of Lisa’s lead guitar riffs, and in Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here”, both Mona and Lisa do magic with their acoustic guitars playing off each other so wonderfully.  There is also “Club 27” from Orange, and from years past Santana “Samba Pa Ti”, Eagles “Hotel California”, Beatles “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”…etc.  MLT are certainly tops in great guitar playing.

What are some of your all time favorite guitar solos from decades past? 

To kick it off, here is a Mojo top 10 solo guitar list for some fun.  I like their #1 choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4NOJ42-BKM

Jacki Hopper replied 4 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jung Roe

04/05/2020 at 07:46

For me, it would have to be Pink Floyd “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”.  It was the first time I really felt the magnificence of the electric guitar sounds.  I’ve heard Jimmy Hendricks, Led Zeppelin before that my brother use to listen to that I thought was interesting, but it was hearing Shine On You Crazy that really I recall gave me the biggest experience.

https://youtu.be/Fk0V_GGa2XM

• Darryl Boyd

04/05/2020 at 10:01

Too many to mention but one out of left field: My Sharona.

Great solo.

• Howard

04/05/2020 at 13:43

Good one Darryl. My Corona’s a beauty too!

• David Herrick

04/05/2020 at 16:05

Although I recognize the technical proficiency involved, I’m generally not a fan of guitar solos, especially ones as complex as those featured in this video.  For whatever reason, they’re just not an element that my ears crave when I listen to a song.

A couple of exceptions would be the intro to the Beach Boys’ “Fun Fun Fun”, and George’s solos in “Can’t Buy Me Love” and “Something”.  I’ve also grown to enjoy Lisa’s work at the end of “Hotel California”.

• Jacki Hopper

04/05/2020 at 18:56

I have many but it’s the guitarist from Glass Tiger, whose guitar stuff in Glass Tiger music stands out for me besides MLT ??

• Jung Roe

06/05/2020 at 06:34

Darryl, yes My Sharona has a great guitar solo.  That song made The Knack nearly a household name I remember back then with their famous big album “Get The Knack”.

David, I agree some of the best guitar solos were the more simpler ones like by the Beach Boys and Beatles which focused more on the melody than theatrics of a fancy abstract guitar run.  I like Beatles “And I Love Her”, that Paul said would be nothing without Georges guitar piece.  Not that there aren’t some awesome fancy guitar runs by Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC etc.   This kind of reminds me of a lot of modern international piano competitions where they only compete with abstract pieces of  modern composers like Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky etc who create technically difficult and complex pieces great for wooing the crowds with fantastic piano runs,  but inferior music wise compared to the traditional classical composers like Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.  Modern classical music is lost on me.   The music has to be first before technical theatrics of the instrument.

Jacki, is there any particular Glass Tiger song with some nice guitar work that stand out for you?  I’d like to check one out.

• Jacki Hopper

06/05/2020 at 18:49

Jung, I love all the GT songs but if you like, Simple Mission  and This Is Your Life, Animal Heart are good contenders for you to check out.

• Jung Roe

07/05/2020 at 00:36

Thanks Jacki.  I really liked This is Your Life.  Inspiring lyrics!  Animal Heart has some strong rock guitar lyrics.

• Jacki Hopper

07/05/2020 at 00:48

Jung, I’m equally partial to GT’s softer stuff, ballad type songs too….

GT and MLT  music for me share some similarities thus why they are my 2 favourites?

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!