• Jung Roe

10/09/2020 at 21:49

Beach Boys – I’m Waiting for The Day, has flute, english horn, and strings.

https://youtu.be/beYIHLrxkPM

• David Herrick

10/09/2020 at 21:55

Admittedly I’m probably the only one who knows this one, but the Monkees recorded this song in 1966, although it wasn’t released until 1987.  According to a print source I have, “Paul Suter provides a fuzzed-out flute overdub for the instrumental break… consisting of both flute and organ layered together.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZZibB5azQ8

• Jung Roe

10/09/2020 at 23:05

Nice one David.  You know the Monkees had some great music.  I never really appreciated their contribution until hearing MLTs awesome “I’m A Believer”, and some of your posts of their music at the forum.  Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, and Peter Tork are each great accomplished musicians indeed.

• David Herrick

11/09/2020 at 02:00

If I had been around in the 60’s, I’m sure I would have dismissed the Monkees out of hand as a crass attempt to cash in on Beatlemania.  But coming to the party twenty years late I saw their TV show as a way to sample the works of some of the top songwriters of the era for free.  And after I felt I had gotten to know the actors, I became interested in exploring the rest of their music.

Love ’em or hate ’em, you have to be impressed with the fact that they actually learned to play the songs they had been faking on the show, and played numerous concerts in front of thousands of people with no backing musicians.  As Micky Dolenz has remarked, it’s like Leonard Nimoy actually becoming a Vulcan.

• Howard

11/09/2020 at 02:24

You’re not alone there David. I, along with most of my school mates of the time dismissed the Monkees out of hand. It was definitely unhip to appreciate them. However, I had an epiphany during the seventies (and I’m not suggesting it was drug related), and my musical tastes expanded.

The Monkees were fortunate in having a clever creator and some of the best song writers the sixties had on offer. Plus, they harmonised well.

I had a girl friend in the eighties who was surprised to find I had an EP and CD of Monkees’ hits, but please don’t tell anyone. I don’t want to be considered uncool!

I even got over my initial difficulties with ABBA and eventually came to appreciate what they had achieved. Sometimes the hysteria surrounding particular groups gets in the way!

• Jung Roe

10/09/2020 at 23:10

[postquote quote=103518][/postquote]

Yes I also love Simon and Garfunkle “El Condor Pasa”.  Great reference David.

https://youtu.be/pey29CLID3I

Check out Zamfir’s pan flute cover of El Condor Pasa, it is sublime.

BTW, I did a google search, and the instrument used in Simon and Garfunkel’s El Condor Pasa is a “Quena” which is indeed a flute.

The quena (hispanicized spelling of Quechua qina, sometimes also written kena in English) is the traditional flute of the Andes. Traditionally made of cane or wood, it has 6 finger holes and one thumb hole, and is open on both ends or the bottom is half-closed (choked).

• Joseph Manzi

10/09/2020 at 23:10
  • Joseph Manzi

10/09/2020 at 23:21
  • Joseph Manzi

10/09/2020 at 23:33
  • Jung Roe

10/09/2020 at 23:38

Hey Joe, that flute playing in the Jethro Tull video is brilliant, wow!

• Joseph Manzi

10/09/2020 at 23:41

First David. Great topic.   Jung Ian Anderson is something else. You know any song by tull

has pretty much flutes in .

• Joseph Manzi

10/09/2020 at 23:42

Oh I hope everyone remembers 911 tomorrow….

• Howard

10/09/2020 at 23:46

Nice songs Joe, but remember David was looking for sixties songs in his Topic. you can always start a new Topic.

• David Herrick

11/09/2020 at 01:10

I just thought of a couple more with a solo at the end:  Colour My World by Chicago, and Spinning Wheel by Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Page 2 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!