• Gilmour Guitars

Posted by Tomás F. Calvo on 05/05/2019 at 19:47

Since the topic of guitars is a popular one here 😉 it may be of interest to mention that David Gilmour, of Pink Floyd is putting 120 of his best guitars on the chopping block, I mean the auction block, on June 20th through Christie’s.

David Gilmour has some very interesting guitars, including the Fender Stratocaster #0001 which not only would be of interest as being the production Strat, but it’s featured on many Pink Floyd records. There are several iconic guitars he’s auctioning, but my interest (though I won’t be buying anything at the auction, just “browsing”) is the Gibson J200 Celebrity, of which he’s auctioning 2 of them. If you follow the links and scroll down to the “Lot Essay” there’s very interesting information. I believe that he has another two that’s he’s holding on to, but these are the ones he used on The Division Bell. Chet Atkins had one, so did Mark Knopfler. There were only 90 of these made, and I happen to have one too.

J200Celeb-tcgakki-com (2)

MK_guitars_J200

Interestingly enough, I bought it on eBay, of all places! At the time I was looking for a pre-1969 Martin D-28, but could not find one in my budget that was in decent shape. I came across my J200 on eBay, and though I wasn’t looking for it and at the time I didn’t know what I was really getting, but the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and told me to buy it. So no Martin D-28 with Brazilian Rosewood for me, but I’m very happy with my guitar. The previous owner found it hard to play and let it go at quite a discount, but I took it to a really pro place in LA and it’s easy to play now and sounds fab. Turns heads when you strum it. Mine is #24 of 90.

J200-Celeb-big

Tomás F. Calvo replied 5 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Jacki Hopper

05/05/2019 at 23:10

Wow… That’s fascinating to me!!!!

• Howard

06/05/2019 at 00:44

You have good taste Tomás. You’ve done very well in purchasing your J200 #24 of 90! Thanks for sharing your story.

• Jacki Hopper

06/05/2019 at 03:12

Ooohhh… This is giving me Guitar Poem Enthusiasm .. Yep…. MLT related and not…..indeed…Thankyou

• Jung Roe

06/05/2019 at 04:43

Thanks for sharing Tomas.  The Gibson J200 Celebrity you have is indeed a rare bird being #24 of only 90 others like it in the world, and the fact you are in the company of the likes of David Gilmour of Pink Floyd among one of the other proud owners of that exclusive 90 makes it even that much more special.  Are you glad you came up across this one instead of that Martin D-28?  I bet this one will remain in your permanent collection forever.

• Stephen Krogh

06/05/2019 at 06:03

Great story Tomás. Congratulations on your J200. You are in the company of some very special guitarists. But don’t give up searching for that affordable vintage D28. I almost bought a used one in 1968 but it was just out of my budget then. I sure wish I had found a way to get it anyway cause I would be very happy to have it now.

• Tomás F. Calvo

12/05/2019 at 06:23

Thank you, and Stephen I guess we never give up (especially if we have GAS -Guitar Acquisition Syndrome), but the D-28’s have skyrocketed in the last 10 years or so.

Still, I am very happy with my choice. Here’s a little snippet of it, if you’d like to know how it sounds:

J200 Celebrity

Thank you!

• Howard

12/05/2019 at 08:09

Lovely sounding guitar Tomás. Thanks for sharing.

• Stephen Krogh

12/05/2019 at 17:27

Yes Tomas, thanks so much! What a truly beautiful, full and clear tone. I love nothing more than listening up close to a resonating rich and bright acoustic guitar. You can hear all the subtle harmonics. Your instrument is very much alive and a true joy to hear. Thanks again so much for sharing!

• Jung Roe

16/05/2019 at 06:40

Beautiful guitar sound, and beautiful playing too Tomas!

• Tomás F. Calvo

27/05/2019 at 02:47

Thank you guys!

• Jacki Hopper

27/05/2019 at 21:10

That was fascinating and educational to me… My new thing learned for today!

• Tomás F. Calvo

25/06/2019 at 01:08

Have you seen the prices paid!!?? His top Strat went for almost 4 million!! It was bought by the same guy who bought  the Beatles gear. Of course he had to buy a case for his guitar, so he bought the case for $175K. Truly, stupid money. The ones like mine went for $240K. Unreal.

That Gilmour has some multiplying factor for guitar values…

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!