• Johnnypee Parker

06/10/2022 at 04:20

Does a piano/thimble intro count? This is pretty interesting.

Also Check out her take on “Take On Me” by Ah-Ha.

https://youtu.be/ELTUzU9QhLY

• Jung Roe

06/10/2022 at 05:24

Hi JP, that was really beautiful, and the intro to The Sound of Silence on the piano was very stirring. That “thimble” added a great effect with the piano.

Her cover of Aha Take On Me is great, and the sketch like background is really cool, just like the Aha video. Some great playing, and nice flight of the bumble kind of virtuosity. I have a Casio Privia too, but not as nice as that one, if only I could play like that! 🙂 Her Stairway to Heaven is very nice too. Thanks for that, awesome!

And thanks Jurgen and Tom for the videos, enjoyed them all.

• Johnnypee Parker

06/10/2022 at 11:40

Hi Diana,

Thanks, I have never seen that one. I like the audience shots, too. You can see by everyone’s body language that the hair is standing on the back of their necks. The band sounds incredible.

Since we’re having an Ah-Ha moment, this is my favorite cover of that song:

After that, look for her cover of Space Oddity.

https://youtu.be/ncjhx3OKrAI

• Diana Geertsen

06/10/2022 at 11:51

JP,

I was in the process of posting another song from that unplugged session, then I saw your reply. I will be sure to check it out

https://youtu.be/n8Vrp2YujOQ

• Diana Geertsen

06/10/2022 at 12:44

JP,

All I can say is WOW! I’ve never heard of Alexa Melo. I always love being introduced to new artists. As much as I loved the a-ha cover, Space Oddity is going on my playlist!

I really hope that I can meet you and Marlo someday at an MLT concert.

Diana

• Daryl Jones

12/10/2022 at 15:50

Still getting the hang of this forum format so hope this fits in with the topic (should be OK)

I come from a piano family. My father’s side had 4 teachers although he himself didn’t teach, his 3 sisters did, as did my Grandmother. I still have her piano in my house, it’s almost 150 years old.

I’ve always been a big Elton John fan and while one of his most popular piano driven works (opened so many of his concerts with it) is Funeral for a Friend, one of my personal favorites is a lesser known or at least less popular cut from his Diving Board release. I don’t play it myself, but it resonates with me as I love singing the vocal track.

Elton John – Home Again (Official Lyric Video) – YouTube

• Diana Geertsen

12/10/2022 at 17:17

Hi Daryl,

That is also one of my Elton John faves. Very hauntingly beautiful!

• Daryl Jones

12/10/2022 at 17:47

Interesting comment Diana, even most of my friends didn’t know it existed. Maybe the Diving Board album just isn’t that well known outside of serious Elton John fan circles.

The first time I sang it was at a senior’s home. We had a live country band as well as a DJ/karaoke setup and the DJ didn’t know if they even had it in their files. I fully expected that none of the residents would have heard it before, but I took a chance and did it anyway. My elementary school music teacher was a current resident and even she was amazed by it. She obviously knew Elton’s music, but sure didn’t know that song. I mostly stuck with Frank Sinatra genre/style and country music more recognizable to them, but it got rave reviews from the crowd.

• Jung Roe

13/10/2022 at 04:36

Hi Daryl, oh yeah..Elton John has some of the best ballads on the piano and his soaring vocals always gets me. I never heard this one before, but really enjoyed it. I like the key change at 3:30 into the song, gets really hauntingly beautiful like Diana mentioned. Really nice effect. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow, loved hearing about that 150 years old piano. From pianos to your guitars, you have some wonderful instruments. My post retirement passion is to get into piano, and playing music in general, guitar appeals to me too. I have a cheap Casio Previa digital piano right now I mess around on, and a 30 years old acoustic Baldwin upright in need of a serious tuning over at my parents/sisters place I plan on shipping over and using again.

• Daryl Jones

13/10/2022 at 05:18

Jung, it’s a Gourlay upright, Canadian made, solid maple soundboard, real ivory keys (not really appropriate this day and age) although they are very worn from heavy use, and the finish is very tired. But its an heirloom and its destined to remain in the family unretouched and natural. Has amazing tone and the action on the keys is heavy by today’s standards but still lively. Sadly I don’t play it much anymore, but I went through many years of Conservatory exams and levels playing it. I stopped playing when I was 20 as the exams got tedious and conflicted with my lifestyle and other activities back then. Mostly I tired of the long-hair classical scene, was too stodgy for me anymore. Hockey, parties and garage rock and stage jazz (I played trombone jazz/pop too) bands were higher priority. Our band leader was a professional jazz sax player, Carnegie Hall fame, Glen Miller style. Incredible musician and a fantastic teacher. He took us to heights we never could have gotten to. Still miss him, he died of cancer a few years after I graduated.

Page 3 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!