MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Guitar Strings

• Guitar Strings

Posted by Paul Steinmayer on 20/10/2019 at 14:01

I was just curious what brand, type and gauge/size of guitar strings that you use?  Also, do you use different gauge strings on different guitars, like one type of strings on the Rickenbacker, and a different type on the Epiphone or Gretsch?

Thanks for your insights

Paul

Paul Steinmayer replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    20/10/2019 at 14:01

Hi Paul,

I use 10s on most of my Electric guitars (Gretsch Duo Jet, Strat, Ephiphone). For me it’s the best compromise of tone and playability. If I’m feeling a little lazy I might put 9s on whatever guitar I use for mindless noodling that I don’t use for recording.

To be honest, I don’t mind if I use nickel or steel strings or any of the popular combinations. I never found one or the other to be necessarily better or worse, and I always tweak my amp and guitar tone to fit whatever I want to play or record at the time.

We love the Pyramid brand but they are sometimes hard to get a hold of and are a little pricey. I don’t think you can go wrong with a set of D’addario or Ernie Ball.

Mona likes to use flat wounds a lot (as opposed to round-wound strings). On both her Rickenbacker and even some acoustic guitars. I have to admit, they do sound great for certain things. Especially rhythmic playing. Very old school, round and smooth.

And we definitely ALWAYS use flatwounds on bass. By now we can’t even imagine using regular round-wounds. Especially on the Hofner they sound fantastic and give you even more of that smooth, almost double bass sounding “smack”. 🙂
    Hope that helps!

• Darryl Boyd

22/10/2019 at 03:59

Give the NYXLs a try.

They sound great and last a lot longer than regular D’Addarios I’m finding.

• Paul Steinmayer

30/10/2019 at 12:55

Lisa, thank you so very much for your insights.  For years, I swore by Dean Markley strings, but they are also very hard to find anymore.  Nowadays I used D’addario.  I’ve always used 9s, but I do a ton of bending and they give me lots of flexibility.  I’ve never been able to get used to flat wound strings though.  Maybe I should give ’em another try.

Staying Groovy!

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!