MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Hope for the future and new discoveries

• Jürgen

29/12/2021 at 10:05

You hear so much about accidents in space. Hopefully the probe LUCY and the James Webb Space Telescope will not collide. From well-informed sources I have received knowledge of a near accident in the outer orbit of the earth, that could only be avoided by the lightning-fast reaction of the crew and which was concealed by the media:

https://youtu.be/11X-odpmxVM?t=1

• Tom Fones

29/12/2021 at 14:46

I have read and heard that it’s a real traffic jam up there.

That is so hard to fathom. Does anyone have an accurate count of what’s up there?

Just asking.

• Tom Fones

29/12/2021 at 15:33
  • Jung Roe

29/12/2021 at 15:48

Hi Tom,

As of 2021 there are 7500 satellites orbiting the earth.

“As of January 2019, more than 128 million pieces of debris smaller than 1 cm (0.4 in), about 900,000 pieces of debris 1–10 cm, and around 34,000 of pieces larger than 10 cm (3.9 in) were estimated to be in orbit around the Earth.”

Space debris from one of thousands of satellites orbiting earth is pretty hazardous indeed as depicted in this Hollywood scene.

https://youtu.be/vKW-Gd_S_xc

• Jürgen

30/12/2021 at 17:10

Yes, it is interesting what particles with such a small mass can do if they are only really accelerated once. Unimaginable when larger chunks are on a collision course. Does anyone of you know how high the probability is that a flying object traveling in space will hit small to medium-sized meteorites (even if the rest of space is pretty debris-free, as David mentioned)? Will LUCY and the James Webb Space Telescope have no more problems with this once they leave Earth orbit? Are collisions between spaceships and celestial bodies just an invention of science fiction literature or a real danger for space travelers?

https://youtu.be/8bh8lRjn-DU?t=64

• David Herrick

29/12/2021 at 15:50

Tom, according to Wikipedia, the U.S. Space Surveillance Network is able to track about 20,000 objects orbiting Earth, only about 10% of which are currently functioning satellites. However, it’s estimated that there are about 130 million bits of orbiting debris such as paint flecks and rocket exhaust particles that are too small to detect from the ground.

Most of this debris is concentrated at the altitudes where most spacecraft are sent: low Earth orbit (below 2000 km) or geosynchronous orbit (about 36,000 km). The rest of space is pretty debris-free. Several spacecraft have flown through the main asteroid belt without recording so much as one dust grain collision.

You might think that hitting a piece of dust is no big deal, but it really packs a wallop when moving at a relative speed of thousands of miles per hour. Here’s what a paint chip once did to a window on the space shuttle:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Shuttle-window-pit-caused-by-impact-with-a-paint-chip_fig5_24334849

• Tom Fones

29/12/2021 at 23:10

Thanks David

A paint chip?

Sort of like a fifty meter-wide meteorite creating 1/2 mile wide meteor crater.

• Tom Fones

29/12/2021 at 15:57

Right Jung, I was thinking of ‘Gravity’ when i posted.

Thanks David.

• Jürgen

29/12/2021 at 18:03

It is worrying that we humans are not only littering our own planet, but now also the orbit. I would also be interested to see what the hard radiation outside the protective magnetic field of our earth does to materials and people. I think one of the biggest problems of manned spaceflight will be space radiation. I once read that NASA is experimenting with water tanks as a protective shell. Is that true?
    If I remember correctly in 2020, DLR and NASA must have sent two female phantoms ( Helga and Zohar) into space. The two female dummies were equipped with many sensors to determine the exact radiation levels that affect humans. One of the two dummies wore a radiation waistcoat, the other was unprotected. Unfortunately, I don’t know what exact findings were made. Another problem is the lack of gravity that affects the human organism. Not only the musculature is affected, but also the bones, the connective tissue, the correct functioning of the organs, etc. A very exciting topic.

https://youtu.be/tBiuhOlgJsY

• David Herrick

30/12/2021 at 00:10

I don’t really keep up much with research into radiation shielding, but I think it’s generally assumed that any lengthy human missions, such as to Mars, will inevitably result in an unhealthy amount of radiation damage to tissues. It’s hard to imagine designing a covering that is both dense enough to absorb a lot of energy and light enough to prevent the launch from becoming prohibitively expensive due to the excess weight.

My understanding is that most of the negative effects of zero gravity, except for bone demineralization, can be minimized with rigorous exercise. I’ve seen footage of space station astronauts running on a treadmill, with stiff springs attached to their waist to hold them down.

• Jung Roe

01/01/2022 at 20:50

David, for long human space travel, it looks like there are still some technological hurdles to overcome to address the radiation, and invent better artificial gravity. I think our NASA scientists need to watch more Star Trek. The transporter could solve a lot of these issues. ????

• Bill Isenberg

29/12/2021 at 19:49

Jung and members,

Yet another reason why I love this MLT Club, learning and seeing, this is fabulous and so cool, never knew about this until I seen this now, thank you so much

• Jung Roe

01/01/2022 at 19:47

Couldn’t agree more Bill. I’ve learned so much at the MLT Club, in both music and so much more.

• David Herrick

29/12/2021 at 23:55

I agree, Bill. One of the greatest unexpected benefits of this club is being able to learn from each other about whatever we’re curious about. We’ve all been around long enough to have acquired some expertise in something, and it’s great to be able to tap into that when needed.

• Tom Fones

29/12/2021 at 23:59

That makes three of us! So far.

• Jürgen

30/12/2021 at 16:05

Learning is good, listening to music is almost even better. The following song has been presented here some times before, but it just fits the topic too well.

I will join Jung: Play it again Sam!

https://youtu.be/6TBOaX4_Xwc

• Jürgen

31/12/2021 at 09:29

For you space cowboys Jung, David, Tom and Bill I’m launching a whole special New Year’s Eve rocket. All the best for the future. May the force be with you !

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

https://youtu.be/B1R3dTdcpSU

• Tom Fones

31/12/2021 at 15:01

Very beautiful Juergen

Happy New Year everyone.

• Jürgen

01/01/2022 at 20:32
  • Jung Roe

01/01/2022 at 20:47

That’s amazing Jurgen to see a space craft launch as viewed from the space. I like the German version of Major Tom. Happy New Year.

Page 2 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!