MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion How did you experience your MLT joy today?

• Jung Roe

12/09/2019 at 15:11

Which Beatles album featured the 5th Beatle?

• Jung Roe

12/09/2019 at 15:14

Abbey Road.  Can you spot the 5th Beatle?

original_441

• Jung Roe

12/09/2019 at 15:35

I have to say I’ve been spoiled.  I saw a Beatles show last night on the cruise ship.  After MLT Beatles covers, everything else pales in comparison, unless they build a time machine and you can transport back to the 60s to see John, Paul, George, and Ringo play in person.

20190911_192751

But it was still enjoyable to see some people play live Beatles music.  There were some nice live Beatles guitar sounds.  It’s interesting they pointed out how a single guitar chord of A Hard Days Night is instantly recognized by almost everyone.  The guitarist came on stage and belted out one chord, and everyone in the audience knew what song it was.   Only a Beatles song could do that.   The greatness of the Beatles!

• Jung Roe

13/09/2019 at 23:47

20190913_184327

Listening to Orange looking at an orange sunset over the back drop of Maine from the Atlantic east coast.  A little MLT music joy in this little corner of the world.  Sweet Lorraine!

• David Herrick

14/09/2019 at 01:00

Now’s your chance to write your MLT parody song, Jung:  “Nothing Is In Maine”.

• Jung Roe

15/09/2019 at 14:23

LOL! ? Love your clever magic with words David.  I wasnt in Maine long enough, but it certainly has beauty in the little harbor town we visited.

• Angelo

14/09/2019 at 07:26

Ah,  Ah, exellent joke David. Are you french? Playing that way with words is typical for french peaople.

Jung said “I have to say I’ve been spoiled.  I saw a Beatles show last night on the cruise ship.  After MLT Beatles covers, everything else pales in comparison, unless they build a time machine and you can transport back to the 60s to see John, Paul, George, and Ringo play in person.”

Well, as much I admire the MLTs, I must admit that there are a bunch of very good bands out there doing exellent covers of the Beatles. You should go at the Beatle Week once and you will see. Big tal blond guys from Holland who are exellent and even short dark air guys from Argentina who are exellent. When ther are playing you ear only the Beatles and that’s the magic. Of course MLTs have a little something more. As in the song of France Gall (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2umohm)

She, she has it
    I dont know what this is
    That others do not have
    That brings us in a funny state
    She, she has it
    She, this strange voice
    She, this strange joy
    This gift from heaven that makes it beautiful
    She, she has it, She, she has it
    She, she has it
    She, she has it
    She has that little extra soul
    That indefinable charm
    This small flame

• David Herrick

14/09/2019 at 15:35

Thanks, Angelo.  But no, je ne suis pas francais.  Just a linguistically mischievous American.

• Angelo

14/09/2019 at 08:30

To be more  in the subject of the post, here is how I experience my MLT joy today.

DSCN1800

with that little baby that’s just arrived, I can work on the covering of “wainting for the waiter”. Plenty of work… but plenty of joy.

• Howard

14/09/2019 at 16:37

No David. Please don’t encourage him!

And a nice looking guitar there Angelo. The perfect instrument for “Waiting for the Waiter”. When you are comfortable with your progress, you should upload a recording for us. Always nice to see and hear what other members are doing with MLT material.

Nice song from France Gall too.  Apart from the obvious, that is The MLTs adorable looks, humour, German accents, musical skills, writing and composing skills and their sheer angelic harmonising, The MonaLisa Twins do have a certain je ne sais quoi about them that sets them apart from other groups in the music industry. Dare I say it, “God only knows!”

Unlike their alter egos, The Powerpuff Girls, Mona and Lisa didn’t require any special “Chemical X” to make them sugar, spice, and everything nice, or to give them superpowers. Papa Rudi created his perfect little girls to defend against villains and giant monsters (yes, there are lots of them, in and out of the music industry), by simply using the power of their music!

IMG_3555

• Howard

14/09/2019 at 17:17

Now David, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Mona and Lisa have sung this song together as infants. Yes, this has to be at the top of the MLT cover request list. I’m sure that with Mona on drums and Lisa on guitar, they could convince Michaela into learning the bass as the green machine Powerpuff for the cause!

When it comes to the power of their music, I am reminded of Woody Guthrie, who in 1943 labeled his guitar with “This machine kills fascists”.

Image 15-9-19 at 2.19 am

• David Herrick

14/09/2019 at 20:10

Or if not Michaela, then perhaps Rudi could play bass and don a (ahem…) “costume”.  Given his performance in the “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” video, I don’t doubt his acting skills.

• Jung Roe

14/09/2019 at 21:05

Hi Angelo.  That is a unique looking guitar with sound/air vents andwhat  looks like speaker grills on the body.  What kind of guitar is that?  Congrats with  it, and hope it brings much joy, and thanks for sharing.

As for great Beatles cover , when I said “pales in comparison”, I didn’t mean technical/musicianship proficiency only.  I am sure there are a lot of tribute bands in Liverpool and all over the world that sound as good or even technically better than the Beatles in their heyday.  It’s the differentiation the MLT bring that is special and why others pale in comparison.

This reminds me of a debate I had with a friend when he said “why listen to a cover no matter how good they are, I only want to hear the original.  I can  see his point.  Unless I just want to be entertained by a perfect replication cover for nostalgia, I would  100% go to the original Beatles or Beach Boys song over listening to a cover version.  The magic for me with an MLT cover is a new experience I get that is some how more enriched than the original and attracts me back to listen to it again and again.  MLT know how to preserve the essence of a song that makes it great in the first place and creatively add their own personality to it.  I very much enjoy the Beatles Getting Better on Sargeant Peppers, but I enjoy Mona and Lisa’s  acoustic cover evenmore  because of their more colorful harmonies.  For methe  experience of listening to the cover must have some differentiation from the original or what is the point.

• Angelo

15/09/2019 at 08:23

Hi Jung, the post you created yourself is “How did you experience your MLT joy today”. It is only for this purpose that I show my new guitar. This is the one Mona uses in “Waiting for the waiter”. Thanks to the MLT I reconnected with a passion (guitar playing) that I have always had but was idlle. I rediscover the music and even the singers I thought I knew like David Bowie for instence  thanks to the Starman version. I never thought I would ever use a resonator guitar and thanks to Mona I have one now and I love it. I like the old blues, the slide guitar sound and this guitar is fantastic.

National

• Jung Roe

14/09/2019 at 21:20

Have a listen to what John and Paul have to say about people doing covers of their songs.

https://youtu.be/6sJ0qb1TwIs

• Angelo

15/09/2019 at 08:50

When you say “pale in comparison”, I understand quite well. When you’re in love with someone or something, everything else looks “pale in comparison”. This is valid for all of us otherwise we would not be here, in the MLT Fan Club! You right and though John did not agree, Paul states that some of the covers might be bether than the originals. And that’s the case with the MLT’s Beatles covers. Do not forget though that John and Paul created those songs and that’s huge! But as reinterpretation comes the MLT are  the best.

When you say “For me the  experience of listening to the cover must have some differentiation from the original or what is the point.” You’re right, Off course you won’t listen to a perfect cover of a song but in live session it’s great. When you are at the Cavern Club  and listen to those Bands playing the Beatles music accuretly to the original it’s really a great moment. Not so “pale” in that context.

• Jung Roe

15/09/2019 at 13:33

Hi Angelo.  Yes I see your point, when a band has the skill and discipline to knock out a perfect performance to do a Beatles song justice, there is great honor in that, and there is nothing “pale” about that for sure.

• Jung Roe

20/09/2019 at 06:33

MLT writing with dip pen

When I came across this of Mona and Lisa handwriting lyrics for their song “That’s Life” here recently, my heart jumped for joy.  Such elegant prose in ink and dip pen!  And we’ve all witnessed what they can do with hand sketching with a pencil or ball point too.  So in honor of that, here is some more info about the magic of handwritten correspondence.

• Jung Roe

20/09/2019 at 06:42

Yousafa handwriting

Here is an excerpt from an article about handwriting.

In our own era, Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel Peace Prize laureate ever, reminds us:

“One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world.”
    Although Yousafzai first came to global attention via blogging, through her book Malala’s Magic Pencil she suggests a connection between the elegance and craft of a child’s handwriting and their personal agency.

Yousafzai’s handwriting has become a symbol of her advocacy. It demonstrates the power of written literacy, its intimate relationship to human identity and existence and its potential to remind the world of ultimate belief in human agency for good. Generations before, the young diarist Anne Frank did the same.

Our society impoverishes children if we don’t learn from those who have gone before us. People who learn how to spell and to develop legible, fluent handwriting will have tools at their avail to confidently express themselves and circumvent inconveniences like losing power on one’s digital device.

• Jung Roe

20/09/2019 at 06:45

Power of the pen
    Testimonies draw attention to the power of cursive handwriting. The film Saving Private Ryan made famous the historical Bixby Letter written to the mother of sons killed in the American Civil War….Ongoing interest in the letter through history suggests how human handwriting conveys personhood, care and captures imagination.

Abraham Lincoln letter to grieving mother

At the Hall of State Fair Park in Dallas, Texas, an archivist displays what is believed to be an official government copy of a letter written by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln to a grieving mother. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SMCWq061pc

Page 3 of 5

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!