MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum Introduce Yourself JP says Hello from the Catskills

• David Herrick

05/06/2020 at 02:10

Ah, “Get Smart”!  One of the very best.  Some of that show’s ideas are actually being implemented right now.  Just yesterday I saw a photo of a recently re-opened restaurant, with a table with two diners who were covered by what appeared to be the “cone of silence”.

I originally thought it might be Don Adams who said “Good heavens, what’s that?” on the “Future” track from the Orange album, but upon closer listening I noticed that he dropped the “h” in “heavens”, so it must be some British guy.  (Unless it was Agent 86 doing a British accent…)

This may not mean much to those outside North America, but just a few days ago on YouTube I found this amazing collection from 30 years ago that I somehow entirely missed at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO5R7tbqWQ

• Johnnypee Parker

05/06/2020 at 02:24

[postquote quote=94297][/postquote]
    Missed it by that much  🙂

• David Herrick

05/06/2020 at 03:00

Ha!  “Get Smart” probably introduced more catch phrases into American pop culture than any other TV show.

• Jacki Hopper

05/06/2020 at 03:00

Lol, I was going to mention Star Trek and Get Smart, but some other people beat me to it…. I enjoyed Get Snart, butbthe movie they did many years later….just did not have same umph to it, more like ” Got Dumb”, …lol…the ShoePhone….the best…I think Get Smart influenced the 80s tv show McGyver….. perhaps The 6 Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman too…lol….

• David Herrick

05/06/2020 at 03:15

Jacki, are you talking about the movie “The Nude Bomb”?  If so, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  That was the first movie I ever saw at a theater that left me thinking I had completely wasted my time.  On the way out I was hoping the theater manager would say “Sorry about that, Chief.”

• Jacki Hopper

05/06/2020 at 05:03

Yes, David, that’s  the movie…lol…saw it on tv though, it was awful…lol…best left  it to the series and not wasted  doing a movie adaptation….it just failed….

• Jung Roe

05/06/2020 at 07:35

David, I think the 3 months of lock down is taking it’s toll on me.  My mouth is watering over McDonalds Double Cheese Burger and fries!  🙂

Well folks, it is here, Smart Phone meets Shoe Phone.  Get Smart technology arrives for 2020!

https://youtu.be/XQQuOICUylQ

• Jung Roe

05/06/2020 at 07:49

And it looks like the phone booths are coming back, the new Phone BoothE.

https://youtu.be/veGkOhffvy8

• David Herrick

05/06/2020 at 14:05

These are terrific, Jung!  They rank right up there with the best of Saturday Night Live’s commercial spoofs in that they hold out for so long the possibility that they might actually be serious.

• Jacki Hopper

05/06/2020 at 16:45

Never seen these before Jung, but as you’ve  said, it seems some 80s stuff is kinda sneaking in there as a comeback…lol….well, actually, a mixture of all vintage stuf…I always smile whenever I ‘ve to a thrift shop, memories of going with my parents to flea markets, estate auctions, (farm ones were what Dad enjoyed and usually wound up coming home with something …lol…much to Mom and I shaking our heads…but once in awhile he would buy some item of interest in which would be of interest to both Mom and I…the auctioneer’s  fast talking always fascinated  me….lol… ) and recall with fondness for most part or cringe at something I see, and recall either having it, or seeing it in stores, other people’s  homes back in the day… 20-50 yrs from now, my niece and nephew’s  generation and the ones after  them, are going to tell their kids, grandkids, great grandkids…” Why I recall back in the days of shopping malls, yes, we actually had to go to a store to buy stuff when our internet was down…and it was so nice to have the malls offer the convenience of  phone/mobile device charging stations in the malls, etc”…lol… ???

• Thomas Randall

05/06/2020 at 17:46

Welcome JP from just “down the street” and across the river in Poughkeepsie! Not a fan of the 80’s for anything, a decade I’d rather forget about. But I guess I’m an “old fogey” now at 62!

• Robert Fendt

05/06/2020 at 17:56

Hi Thomas,

I’m with you on that not a fan of the 80’s and onwards, 60’s and 70’s can’t be beaten i’m 65 myself.

• Thomas Randall

05/06/2020 at 18:45

[postquote quote=94343][/postquote]

You know the old saying, “Great minds think alike”!

• Jacki Hopper

08/06/2020 at 18:00

I’m 51….the 80s were my teen years, but the fashion stuff, some of music was but not all, that cool, or I liked of, some other 80s stuff notvexactlybkern in either, as I’m more comfortable  in stuff of the past, prior to 80s…. My music era luvs are Anything from 1920s-1960s, with the odd gems from 70s…as for 90s, well far and few, up to now…again, far and few…lol… and having been surrounded by older brothers, my interests, were more of a tomboy calibre, lol, so Barbies, etc weren’t  really my thing…playing with my bros toys, listening to their music was …lol…still kind of like that in some ways….

Page 2 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!