• Lisa vs. Mona

Posted by Timothy Connelly on 14/10/2018 at 17:31

Okay, it’s time to come clean and admit that we don’t quite love both twins equally. By now, more than 90 songs into their career, we’ve been able to note differences that give one an advantage over the other. This is another John and Paul situation where we can admit that both are positively fantastic- but we still prefer one over the other.

Although I absolutely adore Mona, my favorite is Lisa! Mona’s harmony vocals are off the charts terrific. And I love her lead vocals on Revolution, Can’t Buy Me Love, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, When I’m 64, The Last Time and so many others! She is an amazing musician- her rhythm guitar work, drumming and now flute add so much to every song. And her ever so sweet smile and blonde hair makes her seem just a little “softer” than Lisa.

But I’m in love with Lisa’s lead guitar work! And I love her on ukulele. And she does the lead vocals on While My Guitar Gently Weeps and God Only Knows, my 2 favorite songs. Someone on this board said she might be a little more mischievous than Mona- her brassy red hair may even speak to that.

Of course, that’s for today! I can’t tell you how many times I switched back and forth between John and Paul before settling on George Harrison as my favorite Beatle.

Jim Frei replied 2 years, 9 months ago 21 Members · 86 Replies
  • 86 Replies
  • Howard

14/10/2018 at 18:32

Well Tim, I didn’t think anyone would venture into such sensitive and controversial territory so early in the establishment of the MLT club. John was always my favourite Beatle although I did appreciate Paul’s contribution, especially when he and John were writing together. His bass playing was excellent and greatly enhanced their live performances.

Lisa is also a John fan and like you, I love her lead guitar work and now ukulele playing. Her lead vocals are also strong and sincere. They so remind me of John.

Mona for me is more the Paul type. A bit more reluctant than Lisa to come forward initially but I have noticed that changing through their career. They harmonise just so well together I can’t think of them apart.

Too early for me to pick a favourite as every time I watch their videos, right from 2007, my opinion changes. Whenever I’m watching/listening to Lisa, she’s my favourite and when I’m watching/listening to Mona, she’s my favourite. When I see the two together, having to make that kind of distinction would just do my head in. For now I prefer to sit back and enjoy the twins as the fabulous unit they are.

Sound like a cop out? Well now if I had the wisdom of Solomon …!

• Michael Triba

19/10/2018 at 03:25

Tim; Tim; such a question!  Ask their father Rudi this.  My answer will be the same as his.

• Timothy Connelly

14/10/2018 at 19:03

Trying to pick a favorite is more for the fun than any real competition. Please, if this in any way seems controversial or causes trouble- delete the post immediately. As you said, there is a unity between them that is so ideal.

I do think it’s a good thing to make some separations. Although they are both so essential to making their sound so wonderful, they both are whole individuals and should also be appreciated for their own unique contributions.

• Howard

14/10/2018 at 19:28

I quite understand what you are saying about the fun thing and perhaps I was being a little over dramatic. They have so much in common but also have their own individual, idiosyncratic personalities and skills that combine to make such a great team. Much like the Beatles I guess.

I think they have a wonderful sense of humour and I like that they are so grounded and don’t take themselves too seriously. You mention that someone on this board has suggested that Lisa might be the more mischievous of the two. Well I could be wrong but I have this feeling that Mona just might be the more mischievous.

This feeling comes from viewing their first few videos, where Lisa seems a little more serious and Mona just a little bit cheeky! In one of their Q&As they were asked which one was the evil twin and they pointed at each other, so no help there. Maybe this is a question better answered by Rudolf and Michaela.

• Jacki Hopper

14/10/2018 at 20:36

Well…let me stir things up even more…I in fact find them EQUAL ..in of THEIR OWN MERITS……How about THAT for an answer !?????✌️☮️????

• Walter Music

14/06/2021 at 14:01

I would have to go along with Jacki, you wouldn’t have the Twins unless you have both. I like the way Lisa plays lead and I like Mona with her Rhythm. Their fab and I love them and their Music to death!!!!!!!!!!

• Timothy Connelly

14/10/2018 at 20:39

That certainly works for me, Jacki!

• John Cass

14/10/2018 at 21:38

I’m not touching this topic even with a ten foot pole. Ha!
    You dudes can duke it out.

• Howard

14/10/2018 at 21:45

You’re a very wise man John. I thought Tim was being very brave raising the topic!

• Michael Rife

14/10/2018 at 22:50

I have a favorite……and at times I wonder if it comes through on some of my responses or posts. Very reluctant to say which one, though. They are both lovely and talented girls. I also believe that the musical combination of the two of them would far exceed the addition of each one individually. But, I like Mona just slightly more. I believe my choice has to do with what I do musically. I started out playing the drums, which I still do periodically, and now I mostly play rhythm guitar. Those are roles that Mona fills and I identify with her more.

• Jung Roe

14/10/2018 at 23:02

For me it’s kind of hard not to love them both equally. I think Mona and Lisa together are greater than the sum of their parts. Maybe because they are twins, I dont know, but they definately have a chemistry together that lights a bigger spark, not that individually they are not incredibly interesting and talented powerhouses. Remember Mona singing and drumming on “Twist and Shout”, and Lisa with her magic on the guitar in “Samba Pa Ti”. My favourite is Mona and Lisa.

Love your questions Tim!

• Howard

14/10/2018 at 23:48

Nice reply Jung, and very diplomatic. They do have a very special chemistry going on. ‘When we’re together’!

I totally understand Michael’s preference, being the drummer he is!

For me it’s a very fluid thing as they both keep surprising me. The important thing is they seem to be the antithesis of the Everly Brothers in that they work so well together. Either that or they’re brilliant actors.

• William Huff

15/10/2018 at 01:05

I don’t have a favorite. I only know them as a duo. Now, if I had met them in person, maybe I wold see them more individually, but I just look at the sum of the whole.

• Jung Roe

15/10/2018 at 01:09

Didn’t see Michael’s post before I posted mine, but I can totally understand his preference.

• Larry Reed

16/10/2018 at 05:59

My favorite Beatle, for singing ability, is Ringo of course. That’s why Lisa is my favorite MLT. She sings so much like Ringo, and her guitar playing ability is almost as good as his. (Okay, Mona, I wrote what you told me to. Now where’s that money you said you’d give me for it?)

• Jung Roe

16/10/2018 at 06:25

My favorite Beatle was Pete Best. He was so good he broke up with the band early to pursue a solo career.

• Larry Reed

16/10/2018 at 06:50

lol. Jung Roe, I love it !!!

• Jung Roe

16/10/2018 at 07:06

🙂 🙂 🙂

• Howard

16/10/2018 at 07:17

Yes, good one Jung. I wonder if there’s any chance of getting the MLT to do a Pete Best cover. Now that would be challenging for anyone!

• Jung Roe

16/10/2018 at 08:11

Howard. Thanks for the bed time belly laugh! 🙂

• Howard

16/10/2018 at 08:49

My pleasure Jung. You have a wonderful sense of humour, one that I’m sure Mona and Lisa would appreciate.

Page 1 of 6

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!