MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Lockdown – creativity

• Jung Roe

27/05/2020 at 23:51

A little creative inspiration that found me today I thought I’d share:

Rolex old watch

Before he died, a father said to his son; “Here is a watch that your grandfather gave me. It is almost 200 years old. Before I give it to you, go to the jewelry store downtown. Tell them that I want to sell it, and see how much they offer you.”

The son went to the jewelry store, came back to his father, and said; “They offered $150.00 because it’s so old.”

The father said; “Go to the pawn shop.”

The son went to the pawn shop, came back to his father, and said; “The pawn shop offered $10.00 because it looks so worn.”

The father asked his son to go to the museum and show them the watch.

He went to the museum, came back, and said to his father; “The curator offered $500,000.00 for this very rare piece to be included in their precious antique collections.”

The father said; “I wanted to let you know that the right place values you in the right way. Don’t find yourself in the wrong place and get angry if you are not valued. Those that know your value are those who appreciate you, don’t stay in a place where nobody sees your value.”

• Jacki Hopper

28/05/2020 at 03:29

Jung, I’ve read/ seen this on Facebook, elsewheres, and it truly speaks volumes,  timeless wisdom…

• Jung Roe

30/05/2020 at 06:48

Jacki, there is a lot of truth in that story isn’t there.  🙂  If it was my grandfathers watch from nearly 200 years ago, I’d probably not try to sell it in the first place, and just restore it and keep it as a family heirloom.  🙂  But then at $500,000, perhaps something that unique and precious would not be right to not let the museum have it so everyone can enjoy it!

• Jacki Hopper

04/06/2020 at 02:16

Poetical  Creativity…

” Twice As Effective”

In an instant
    They tell quite a story
    Gifted musically
    In fine MLTBuzz Worthy Glory
    The lyrics of their own stuff
    Groovy as gold
    And their takes on the covers
    Extraordinary
    Vivid
    Truth be told
    Their music energies unfold
    What they conjure up
    How they Respect
    Reflect
    Intertwining
    Combining
    Harmonious
    A Music Pleasure
    Listen at one’s  own leisure
    Ageless
    Timeless
    Classic top notch
    There ‘s nothing to botch
    Their videos
    Humdinger to watch
    Perfect
    Giving new refreshment on Music Landscape
    New perspective
    Indeed
    Kudos to MLT
    For Being As They Are
    Twice As Effective…
    [C.]JackiHopper2020 ~

• Michael Thompson

04/06/2020 at 15:33

Very nice poem Jacki. Do I see a touch of ee cummings there?

• Jung Roe

04/06/2020 at 23:18

Very niiice Jacki.  Well said with poetic magic!

Harmonious
    A Music Pleasure
    Listen at one’s own leisure
    Ageless
    Timeless
    Classic top notch

• Howard

05/06/2020 at 02:20

It seems Jacki’s poetry is becoming infectious!

• Jung Roe

06/06/2020 at 22:45

In this day and age of emails and word processing software, a hand written letter or note is hard to come by. When did you last receive an actual hand written letter from anyone?

I think someone’s hand written scribble is very personal and unique, whether it is a personal letter, message, poetry, or lyrics. Words that are physically formed by a person’s hand by pen and paper I think has a closer connection to the person writing than electronically typed text ever can. A hand scribbled signature is like a finger print, and a hand scribbled letter or card is too, very unique and personal. I wish I had saved all those letters my dad wrote me when he was working in Japan as a teacher after his retirement decades ago. I do have some hand written letters, cards, and notes of appreciation from different people over the years, and they’ve become little treasures now. If my house was on fire, and I had 3 minutes to go in and grab whatever I could, it would be my 2GB hard drive of photos/videos, a few family heirlooms/letters, and MLT handwritten lyrics of “The Wide, Wide, Land”.

In this little BBC article I came across it talks about how some people have taken to writing letters during the lockdown, and how a handwritten letter or card brings them a feeling of connection to people in a deeper way than an email can. Some nice creative ideas to keep in touch with people in a very personal way:

Letters are not only a form of communication. They can act as a museum piece for the future, as I discovered while seeing out lockdown at my parents’ house. On one rainy day I dug up a case of letters belonging to my grandmother, who died six years ago. The scrawled handwriting described historical events such as VE Day and the Queen’s coronation but, most importantly, captured my granny at her most alive.  Reading these letters encouraged me to write my own letters to friends. I wrote to a friend from school who said she recognised my handwriting as soon as the envelope landed on the doormat, despite not having seen it in more than 15 years.

“Letters encourage us to be vulnerable,” Dr LaGarry says. “But it’s also a format in which we feel comfortable saying more personal things.”

“From a person who is living in limbo, learn to not wait for moments to come to you,” says another letter. “Don’t wait for your graduation or prom to make memories with your best friends […] Dance in the rain and hug your friends every chance you get.”

To Article

I suppose these days there might be some apprehension with spreading the virus, but science tells us the Corona virus can’t survive more than 24 hours on cardboard/paper surfaces (3 days on plastic), so a letter that typically takes more than a day or two locally for delivery, and even longer via airmail should be safe, or let it sit in the sun for a few minutes for the UV rays to do it’s things.

• Jung Roe

07/06/2020 at 06:38

Mona Tired of Wating sketch

Click on image to enlarge

• Jung Roe

07/06/2020 at 06:39

Lisa Til There Was You sketch

Click image to enlarge

• Jung Roe

07/06/2020 at 07:38

I found this little gem in one of my drawers today that I forgot all about.  I received it as a gift many years ago.  If the piano doesn’t work out, maybe I can play the pocket blues harp  instead.  Looks fun.

Harmonica

• Jacki Hopper

07/06/2020 at 16:29

I have a basic harmonica/bluesharp that I muddle about on from time to time, I enjoy playing that.!!

• Jung Roe

08/06/2020 at 00:25

I think I could enjoy the harmonica too.  As I have one now, I will try to learn it as well eventually.  It should be a lot easier on the lips than the trumpet was that I tried to learn without much success in high school.

• Howard

08/06/2020 at 03:41

To play a trumpet easily you need reasonably thin lips Jung. When I was young my family belonged to the Salvation Army and as such, all us boys had to learn to play an instrument. My two sisters had to learn to play the tambourine (known as timbrels)  and join the Timbrel Brigade.

My eldest brother was tasked with the euphonium and my next eldest brother and I the tenor horn. It is an instrument similar in sound to the French horn. My bandmaster considered my lips were too thick for the trumpet. The tenor horn is actually a lovely sounding instrument.

The following is from Wikipedia:

“The tenor horn (British English; alto horn in American English, Althorn in Germany; occasionally referred to as E♭ horn) is a brass instrument in the saxhorn family, and is usually pitched in E♭. It has a bore that is mostly conical, like the flugelhorn and baritone horn, and normally uses a deep, cornet-like mouthpiece.

It is most commonly used in British brass bands, whereas the French horn tends to take the corresponding parts in concert bands and orchestras. However, the tenor horn has occasionally been used as an alternative to the French horn in concert bands.

B224D42E-9BA5-4191-A5BE-DE56448101F9

This is a tenor horn.

• Jung Roe

08/06/2020 at 06:03

It sounds like I might have had a better time if I went for the tenor horn.  I remember my lips feeling numb for hours after band practice.  Did you get very far with the tenor horn Howard?  I never really had a serious harmonica before this one.  I remember as a kid a banana shaped harmonica I played with, but it was more a toy then anything.  This is definitely not hard on the lips, and feels doable, just have to remember how each hole breathing in and out correlate to notes.  Will have to find a good course in Youtube.  But as you said previously, I should focus on one thing first, ie the piano.  I’m sure when I get back into the swing of things with the piano, it will help musically with other instruments like the harmonica.

Page 3 of 6

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!