MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Lockdown – creativity

• David Herrick

08/06/2020 at 06:50

I played the clarinet in band class in grade school and middle school.  I wasn’t particularly good at it, but I did learn a great deal about music theory.  And I have to say I’ve never been involved in a more enjoyable group activity than making music with dozens of people.

I developed two instrument-related physical deformities that took years to heal:  a thumbrest-shaped indentation on the side of my right thumb which is still a little bit shiny, and a long groove just below the inside of my lower lip where I had to use my lower teeth (through the flesh) to support the weight of the mouthpiece.

• Jung Roe

08/06/2020 at 07:28

David, now the clarinet always fascinated me among all the band instruments with it’s slender black body and intricate chrome parts that adorn it.  Just looked super elegant.  My older sister did the clarinet when she was in band class, and  remember how beautiful the instrument looked in the little black case it came in.   Was the reed mouth piece hard on the lips to play?  While I never made good music in band class, I can relate to what you said about how enjoyable it is to make music with a group of people.  In elementary school music class, the whole class often sang together many beautiful songs, and the making of music with our voices all singing together with all the other kids felt so wonderful.  Music classes were some of my most memorable times in elementary school.

• David Herrick

08/06/2020 at 07:55

Jung, it looks to the outside observer like your mouth is as relaxed as when you blow a whistle, but when you play the clarinet you have to pull your lower lip back over your lower teeth in order to create a firm bench for the mouthpiece to rest on.  It’s not instantaneously uncomfortable, but after about an hour of your flesh being squeezed between your teeth and the mouthpiece you begin to feel like you’re doing some harm to your blood vessels.  Then again, maybe I was doing something wrong all those years, but I was following directions the best I could.

I sang in grade school music class too, but frankly that wasn’t the same because we were all singing the same part, with no harmonies to make it interesting.  Of course, as we’ve discussed before, we were exposed to some pretty good pop songs that way.

• Jacki Hopper

08/06/2020 at 08:02

Ok, let me add my 2 cents worth here, on school music memories…

I can still vividly recall in Kindergarten my teacher, playing her autoharp (like what Mother Maybelle Carter plays)during the music time once in awhile, oh, how that instrument fascinated me,  and enjoyed watching her play it andcwecsing along, I think I may have even was allowed to touch it….. it made that much of  an impact and impression for me to recall vividly  at age 51 to that time I  was 5… then from Grades 1-6 at least once a week, we had music class, wherecwould mostly sing songs from a songbook, called  “Song Time”, and I enjoyed those classes immensely, as the music teachers, would play piano, guitar, drums, etc…My 2nd oldest bro’s Grade 5 teacher was a Beatles fan to the point she had their class do a Beatles music montage at an assembly one night for Christmas or some other occasion, I recall being there with Mom to watch my bro in it, I think my class did something as well. My  2nd oldest bro and I are 3 yrs apart in age while myboldest bro and I are 6  yrs apart … Now, for my Grade 7 twice (I had to repeat), and Grade8, the music classes were different , not as enjoyable, andc was forced to learn and subsequently failed at trumpet,  and music classes itself, thus had a spare instead for that time frame,  I did not like the music teacher nor did he like me, it was mutual, so better off that I got taken out of his class.  I don’t recall  in high school now, what I did for music, probably same thing as in Grades 7 and 8, took class, made to play an instrument I struggled,  failed class, to be taken out of it, same reason, not liking teacher and them not liking me, thought I was a moron ,  their body language said it best…

Thankfully, my elementary  school music class memories, more meaningful, and enjoyable…

And I love playing around  on my harmonica, have no clue what key I do, I just mutter about and play by ear,  that’s  how I learn best. I rather play by ear, than to look/read music,  or by someone showing me, with visual references, not just sitting there explaining, I need both visual and explanation teaching references….as harmonica or percussion , like tambourine, I grasp better at learning than my lost cause at guitar, uke, banjo, etc instruments…

• Jung Roe

08/06/2020 at 08:43

Hi Jacki, that’s awesome you enjoy playing around on the harmonica.  If you enjoy the harmonica I think you found your instrument.  In that first video by Victor Wooten in the “Music as a language” post, Victor says:

it’s not about learning the instrument first, it’s about what you have to say. Put another way, it’s being musical first, and then putting your music through an instrument. Music is a language.

Who cares what your old music class teachers said or made you feel.  They were lousy teachers.  I heard a great musician say everyone is musical.  Watching Mona play that harmonica in “Pink Flamingo” is inspiring.   Makes me want to play the harmonica too.

• Jung Roe

08/06/2020 at 08:52

David, thanks for the illustration.  I can see the clarinet also requires a tough lip.  In my grade school music class our teacher use to have all the boys sing the lows and the girls sing the highs, and harmonize that way which was fun, but to your point it sounds like harmonizing with instruments and playing off each other sounds like quite a rewarding experience I have not had the pleasure of knowing yet.  Maybe later when I retire I will have to get good enough on the piano so I can join some amateur local band and play a concerto with them, or find an amateur violinist willing to do a piano/violin duo with me.  At least something to dream about.  🙂

• Jung Roe

11/06/2020 at 23:29

Whether it’s an inspired song, painting, photo, poem, film, or a passage from a famous piece of literature, art in it’s various forms expresses profound insight and feelings.

Leo Tolstoy quote

click on image to see in full size

• Jung Roe

15/06/2020 at 08:03

Happiness is

Schroeder and Snoopy cute

• Jung Roe

15/06/2020 at 08:40

Happiness is sleeping in

• Jung Roe

15/06/2020 at 08:41

Happiness is

• David Herrick

15/06/2020 at 17:45

I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that nowadays they could engineer ice cream that smells like flowers, saving Linus and Lucy a little money.

• Jung Roe

15/06/2020 at 19:48

That could make a good idea for the floral or ice cream industry.  Rose scented Strawberry Cherry ice cream.  🙂

• David Herrick

15/06/2020 at 20:10

Apparently people are making ice cream that incorporates actual flowers:

https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/flower-infused-ice-cream-recipes

• Jung Roe

19/06/2020 at 07:00

I want to meet someone music quote

• Jung Roe

23/06/2020 at 06:32

Something to ease the cabin fever!

Covid humor in a plane

Page 4 of 6

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!