Tagged: 

• Posted by Howard on 12/06/2020 at 15:44

What a fabulous cover of Ray Davies’ ‘Lola’ the MLT have produced for the world. And what a remarkable accompanying video once again, with the incomparable Mona (Mick Avory) Wagner on drums, lead vocals, percussion and rhythm guitar, Papa Rudi on bass and keyboards, and I expect film director and the awesome Lisa (Dave) Wagner on lead guitar, electric mandolin?!, sharing lead vocals and wearing such an adorable ‘Orange’ and white outfit for the occasion. The Twins both provide hand claps. I hope Mona’s greying hair is the result of another dyeing and not the result of stress from the Covid 19 Lockdown.

Also, a big thank you to Ray Davies for the (ahead of their time) lyrics, and for getting in touch with the Wagner’s and inviting them to take part in the fifty year celebrations.

The version I’m used to refers to cherry cola as when this song was recorded in 1970 there was BBC Radio’s policy against product placement,

The guitar opening on the song was produced as a result of combining the sound of a Martin guitar and a vintage Dobro resonating guitar. Ray Davies cited this blend of guitar sounds for the song’s unique guitar sound.

“I met her in a club down in old Soho
    Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola
    C-O-L-A, Cola
    She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
    I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola
    L-O-L-A, Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    Well, I’m not the world’s most physical guy
    But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine, oh my Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    Well, I’m not dumb but I can’t understand
    Why she walked like a woman but talked like a man, oh my Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola

Well, we drank champagne and danced all night
    Under electric candlelight
    She picked me up and sat me on her knee
    And said “Dear boy, won’t you come home with me?”
    Well, I’m not the world’s most passionate guy
    But when I looked in her eyes, well I almost fell for my Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola

I pushed her away
    I walked to the door
    I fell to the floor
    I got down on my knees
    Then I looked at her and she at me

Well, that’s the way that I want it to stay
    And I always want it to be that way for my Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
    It’s a mixed up, muddled up, sup world, except for Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    Lola

Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola
    La-la-la-la Lola“

https://youtu.be/jYWMWWprKgs

Howard replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jung Roe

12/06/2020 at 21:20

Great write up Howard!  It seems with every new song/video they do, the MonaLisa Twins just keep pushing the envelope in musical greatness impressing more and more.  I think there is no greater complement than a legendary artist like Ray Davies asking MLT to cover one of his greatest achievements, Lola, to mark the 50th anniversary occasion of that song.  That’s not something he would do lightly.   That speaks volumes to what a truly remarkable music force Mona and Lisa are!  Their cover of Lola, well I still have goose bumps from yesterday, that’s how great it is!

Obviously Ray Davies was totally impressed by MLTs “You Really Got Me” and “Tired of Waiting for You”.  All the MLT covers of the Kinks are just magnificent!

https://youtu.be/ElmM4ZDe2oI

• Jacki Hopper

14/06/2020 at 19:44

I echo all of your sentiments, of the MLTBuzzWorthyGroovified rendition of LOLA, I just can’t  stop singing it around my apt, having it happily stuck in my head….. certainly have done The Kinks proud by their effort on this,  Kudos to Doing The Kinks stuff so stellar  and superbly of…. Though,  I’m drinking GingerAle( Canada Dry/ Schweppes) as I don’t  fancy Cola…lol…only in song reference do I enjoy but not the real stuff…did when I was younger, up until in my 20s-early 30s, finally did my stomach in….and since then Gingerale, 7UP/ Sprite are my Soda pop drink choices with an occasional Stewart’s Orange Creamsicle Sode or Pappy’s  Orange Soda….lol

• Jung Roe

14/06/2020 at 20:38

Jacki, in my neck of the woods where it’s not uncommon to find a mother bear and it’s cub camped out in my drive way or a family of racoons nestled inside my stored snow tires, this is what we drink:

Cherry Root Bear

• Jung Roe

15/06/2020 at 01:19

It looks like Lola is tracking past halfway to 100K views in Youtube since just Friday!  The music/video is addicting to watch it is so incredibly good.

• Howard

15/06/2020 at 05:41

And a good thing you gave up on the Coca Cola when you were young Jacki. That stuff will rot your guts, not to mention what all that sugar will do!

Maybe you should have tried Cherry Cola instead, as Ray Davies originally sang in the UK version. Or better still, that Cherry Root Bear of Jung’s looks interesting. We have a root beer here that I used to drink occasionally when I was younger.

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!