MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion MLT – Cover Requests

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 04:52

Just for the records, “Think About Me / Mona Lisa” – Adelaide Charts: Entry date 13 Nov 1965, Peak 1, Weeks 19. However, it didn’t chart elsewhere in Australia. This was due to Ernie Sigley’s tenure on the Adelaide Tonight top-rating show in the 1960s and 1970s, which was a catalyst for his later national television career

• Jung Roe

17/09/2019 at 06:24

If I may make a Beatles suggestion here, with great guitar riff intro and nice harmonies, I’m Looking Through you off their Rubber Soul album would be another great less well known Beatles song I think MLT could do great justice to, along the same vein as “If I Needed Someone”, and “Hey Bull Dog” they did recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6GeqjKif8g

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 06:48

Unfortunately Jung, that video is blocked in my country. However, other versions are available. Personally I’d like to see them do a cover of “Hold Me Tight”. I bet The MLT could do a superb rendition of this number without hitting a bum note like Paul McCartney did in the Beatles’ original recording. Well maybe Mona will struggle a little if she channels her seven year old self.

https://youtu.be/H42Ou13za30

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 07:01

Sorry! Just kidding Mona! You are absolutely adorable in this clip, along with big sister!

https://youtu.be/IZtKkSuxw_c

• Jung Roe

17/09/2019 at 15:44

Hold Me Tight would be a good one.  What a flashback to cute adorable of the twins in this clip!

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 07:08

This is a very early Beatles song they gave to Billy J Kramer. Now if The MLT really wanted to get back to early Beatles roots, they couldn’t go wrong with this number!

https://youtu.be/kvO-5Ga4Hso

• John Behle

17/09/2019 at 07:32

Here’s a couple more I think could be beautiful covers.  “Baby Now that I’ve Found You” was first a hit by the Foundations in 1967 and later a hit by Alison Krauss in 1995.

”Never My Love” by the Association.

“Never My Love” is a pop standard written by American siblings Donald and Richard Addrisi, and best known from a hit 1967 recording by The Association. The Addrisi Brothers had two Top 40 hits as recording artists, but their biggest success was as the songwriters of “Never My Love.” Recorded by dozens of notable artists in the decades since, in 1999 the music publishing rights organization Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) announced it was the second most-played song on radio and television of the 20th century.[2]

“Cherish” is a pop song written by Terry Kirkman and recorded by The Association.[2] Released in 1966, the song reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in September of that year and remained in the top position for three weeks. Billboard ranked the record as the No. 2 song of 1966. In Canada, the song also reached number one.

And of course just about any song of Carol King or Carol and James Taylor, like “You’ve Got a Friend”.   Which also brings to mind “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon and Garfunkel.

Of course one of the best songs I may have ever heard – “Imagine” by John Lennon.

• Jung Roe

17/09/2019 at 07:37

John, I adore Never My Love by the Association.  Those harmonies. One of the best 60s songs!  That would be an awesome cover.

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 08:09

Wow! “Bridge Over Troubled Water” would be an awesome challenge for anyone and would take much valuable time for MLT to do it justice. Maybe something a little easier, like “I am a Rock”, another awesome Paul Simon song, although not quite fitting the positive MLT vibe.

As for The Foundations, they were the first multi-racial group to have a number one hit in the UK in the 1960s. Some interesting facts about Clem Curtis and The Foundations:

The original lead singer of the British soul band The Foundations, Clem Curtis, died on  27 March 2017. Curtis, who sang the band’s number one hit “Baby Now That I’ve Found You” was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier that year and passed away, aged 76. The singer was born in Trinidad, and came to the UK when he was 15. Before finding success as a singer, he worked as an interior decorator and as a professional boxer. When he was 25 he joined The Ramong Sound – the band that would later become The Foundations – as a backing vocalist.

By the time the group had taken on their lasting name, Curtis was the lead singer. The group was known at the time for their multi-racial line-up, which included West Indians, White British, and Sri Lankan members.  He performed lead vocals on their hits “Baby Now That I’ve Found You”, “Back on My Feet Again”, and “Any Old Time (You’re Lonely and Sad)”, but left the group before they released the song they’re best known for, “Build Me Up Buttercup”.

The Foundations drew much interest and intrigue due to the size and structure of the group. Not only was there a diverse ethnic mix in the group, but there was also diversity in ages and musical backgrounds. The oldest member of the group was Mike Elliott, who was 38 years old. The youngest was Tim Harris, who, at 18, was barely out of school.

https://youtu.be/ibGX96Ar6P0

• Jacki Hopper

17/09/2019 at 21:01

Wow… This thread is taking on a life of it’s own truly…. Lol… Such a plethora of music groups, etc that I could see MLT perhaps tackle… Some of these groups, I knew the songs  to hear but never really knew who sang them…. Such an ecceletic mixture going on here…. Interesting…

• Howard

17/09/2019 at 21:11

This is a personal favourite. “Everything In You”, written and recorded in 1973 by G. Wayne Thomas, a New Zealand born Australian. A beautiful song with a nicely put together video.

https://youtu.be/MhLXTuU1HjA

• John Behle

17/09/2019 at 22:34

Thanks for sharing that Howard, that is a great song.  This thread is real interesting in finding new songs and bands I didn’t know before.  I’m surprised that the UK music scene was so different than the US in many ways.  Looks like not everyone joined in on what we call the “British Invasion.”  Lots of bands that don’t seem to have made it over here.  Others surprised me that they were British bands that I assumed were from the US.  We missed out on some great music and are grateful for what made it across the pond.

Whether the twins look at any of these songs as covers, my playlist and interests grow each day.  Thanks for all those contributing and sharing songs and their history, etc.

While I was typing YouTube rolled to G. Wayne Thomas’s “Open Up Your Heart” which is a great song too.  He has a good voice and the lyrics on both songs are interesting.  Then YouTube rolled to “The Traveling Wilburys.”  HOW did I miss that until recently?  A friend played a song from them in his car a few years ago and I didn’t quite catch on.  I didn’t know it was the all star band of some of the best that ever have been.  Then, it rolled to “What is Life” by George Harrison that might make a great cover too.  I didn’t fully appreciate George’s vocal abilities until recently.

I took another look at that 1400 MotoGuzzi yesterday.  That is a beautiful bike.  All the perks of a good touring bike but looks like it could get up to cruising speed real quick.  We rarely see them in the US.  At least in the rockies anyway.  Is it a pretty popular brand down under?

• Howard

18/09/2019 at 02:00

Actually, Moto Guzzi is one of the least popular bike brands down under. Makes it difficult with parts and service. Prior to my Cali, I had a Triumph Tiger 800, the first model, which hit the market in Australia in 2011. Before that, I had a Triumph Bonneville America which I bought new in 2008. I first saw the Moto Guzzi in a review that Ewan McGregor appeared in. He was involved in the 2013 launch of the new California 1400 in Western Australia. He is now the new V85TT Brand Ambassador. This is the Guzzi bike now competing with my old Triumph Tiger 800 (and BMW), in the enduro/adventure market. It is selling well in Europe but will need to be pretty good to beat Triumph who now have eight years of development on the Italians. I sold my Tiger to my younger brother who later traded it up for a new one.

“Morning of the Earth” is a 1971 classic surf film and its soundtrack was produced by G Wayne Thomas, who also wrote several of the songs, including the title track and “Open Up Your Heart”. Being a powered person John, you’re probably not into surfing, but I recommend you check this film out if you get the chance.

The following is a paragraph from Wikipedia:

“The film portrays surfers living in spiritual harmony with nature, making their own boards (and homes) as they travelled in search of the perfect wave across Australia’s north-east coast, Bali and Hawaii. The movie is regarded as one of the finest of its genre and noted as recording the first surfers to ride the waves at Uluwatu on the very southern tip of Bali and so bringing Bali to the attention of surfers around the world and so the beginnings of Bali as a major tourist destination.”

Following is the Moto Guzzi California Ewan McGregor test rode. Mine is the same except it is black with white trim and a top box.

ewan-mcgregor-newest-moto-guzzi-ambassador

• Howard

18/09/2019 at 02:49

More perfect Elvis for The MLT. Papa Rudi on double bass and piano, Mona on drums and Lisa guitar. Singer? Likely Lisa. Maybe Mona. Perhaps Papa Rudi. Recorded‎ on March 13, 1961, for the album “Something for Everybody”,  this song was released as a single in 1967.

https://youtu.be/7PyVrLoY9Wo

I have substituted this video for my original as a tribute to Judy Tyler, whose life was abruptly ended in a fatal car accident she was in about 3 weeks after Jailhouse Rock (1957) finished filming. She was Elvis’s co-star.

Elvis Presley (vocal, acoustic guitar), Scotty Moore (electric guitar), Hank Garland (electric guitar), Floyd Cramer (piano), Bob Moore (double bass), D. J. Fontana (drums). Recorded on March 13, 1961 at RCA Studio B, Nashville, Tennessee.

• Howard

18/09/2019 at 05:04

I was going to post G.Wayne Thomas’s cover of Kris Kristofferson’s “I’ve Got To Have You”. However, I have decided to opt for his own composition “Open Up Your Heart”. It includes a beautiful video.

“There’s no formula for happiness, that’s guaranteed to work
    It all depends on how you treat your friends And how much you’ve been hurt

but it’s a start, when you open up your heart, And try not to hide, what you feel inside

just open up your heart.”

https://youtu.be/nKnNDRG_CU0

• Jung Roe

18/09/2019 at 07:14

That’s tragic what happened to Judy Tyler, as it looked like she could have been one of the great actresses.

In reference to the Open Your Heart video, I saw a show recently on one of the cruises where they interviewed a number of couples that were together/married for decades, and there was this one couple who’ve been married for something like 60 years.  They asked the husband what was the formula to make the relationship work, and he said he learned to say “YES DEAR”.

Page 4 of 12

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!