• MLT guitar riff

Posted by Jung Roe on 16/02/2019 at 08:27

Just for fun, for those guitar rockers among us, what additional great guitar riff would you one day enjoy hearing Mona and Lisa do if you could wish?

The recent post “Supporting Guitar Legend Albert Lee in Leeds” , and posts about guitar strings in the forum, made me think about this.  On Orange, there are many wonderful guitar riffs, for example the starting pieces of “Close To You”, “In It For Love”, and especially in “Club 27”.  Not that they haven’t already covered some great guitar sound covers on the BAM series like “You Really Got Me”, “Time of the Season”, “Hey Bulldog”, “White Room” etc…

For me it would be The Guess Who “American Woman”.  I can just imagine how Lisa can sizzle & howl her Gretsch Duo Jet and Mona backing up in wonderful guitar harmony on the Rickenbacker 350v63 doing that song. 🙂

Jung Roe replied 5 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Jacki Hopper

16/02/2019 at 21:47

Lol… I certainly could imagine Lisa doing “American Woman” guitar riff……. There are so many amazing guitarists out there to choose from… Vince Gill… late Jeff Healey… late Stevie Ray Vaughan .. late Chet Atkins .. Etc… Whomever chosen.. Lisa would do it justice… Indeed????????????????☮️????

• Jacki Hopper

16/02/2019 at 21:52

Whoops… Forgot to include Mona in the posting… In my brain she was then I forgot to type her in… Sorry Mona…. You and Lisa .. Both would do the guitar riffing justice to whomever songs chosen with/for to do so…. You can indeed be sure of that????????????????????????❤️????????????????????????️????????

• Jung Roe

18/02/2019 at 02:20

I couldn’t agree with you more Jacki.  Mona and Lisa would have no problem doing guitar riff justice with anything they decide to do.  It’s just fun to imagine some our faves, what it might sound like if they do it.  🙂

• Michael Rife

17/02/2019 at 22:18

Pretty Woman???  The 3 way solo on Carry That Weight/The End??  I know this last one are 3 separate guitars….so Mona and Lisa would have to over-dub.  Mike.

• Jung Roe

18/02/2019 at 02:17

Yes Mike, Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison would be a nice one with a great guitar riff.  Another one Howard and Daniel mentioned in other threads are Beatles “And Your Bird Can Sing”.

I was listening to the Rolling Stones “Wild Horses” today, and while not a face paced guitar riff in it there is some beautiful guitar work.  It is a beautiful ballad with 2 voices mostly, vocal and guitar in a beautiful conversation with each other.

• Michael Rife

18/02/2019 at 08:00

Hi Jung;

I like the idea of the Wild Horses riff.  It is a pretty nice guitar part and I believe Lisa/Mona could do it well.  Mike.

• Howard

18/02/2019 at 13:31

Well Lisa has shown us what she can do with George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Brian Jones and Dave Davies riffs, so I wonder how she would handle a Mick Taylor riff. Mick Taylor is the lead guitarist on ‘Wild Horses’ from the Stones “Sticky Fingers” album. He was formerly guitarist with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers and replaced Brian Jones as Rolling Stones guitarist in 1969.

Mick Taylor is a highlight in the following live version of ‘Dead Flowers’ (also from Sticky Fingers) from the Marquee Club in 1971. Also note the pumping bass from Bill Wyman and the rock steady beat from Charlie on drums!

I know it’s a tough call but I’m sure that if anyone could, with her dedication and determination, if she wanted to, Lisa could pull this one off! So put on those headphones and turn up the volume – you’re in for a treat!

https://youtu.be/4oPInSfh6H4

• Jung Roe

18/02/2019 at 17:47

A nice choice there Howard with Dead Flowers.  Great guitar riff there.  I don’t think there would be any guitar piece Lisa would not be able to blow the doors off of.  I was totally impressed by Lisa’s Samba Pa Ti at 13, Hotel California a year later, and then While My Guitar Gently Weeps after that.

I always thought Keith Richard’s was the Stones main guitar man, but Mick Taylor looks pretty awesome there.

• Howard

19/02/2019 at 01:14

Keith and Brian shared lead guitar with their intertwining riffs. Brian was a multi instrumentalist. However, when Mick Taylor joined, being the consummate blues guitarist he was, it was as lead guitarist. Keith has always had the reputation of being the best Rock rhythm guitarist in the world. Check out their guitar work on live versions of ‘Gimmee Shelter’, ‘Honky Tonk Women’, ‘Brown Sugar’ and ‘Midnight Rambler’. I caught them at the height of their classic rock period live in Brisbane in January 1973 where they played those numbers plus ‘Street Fighting Man’ and ‘Sympathy For The Devil’. A night I’ll never forget.

In fact, if you’re looking for a good sampling of their best live work, check out their live album, ‘GET YER YA-YA’S OUT!’, mostly recorded at Madison Square Gardens in New York City in November 1969 during their tour of America. This was their first tour with the recently instated Mick Taylor on guitar. It is arguably one of the best concert recordings of the rock era and it was also the first tour on which the band were introduced each night as ‘the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world’, having been dubbed that at the Hyde Park concert in July 1969.

There’s a stellar version of Robert Johnson’s “Love in Vain” and a wonderful chugging boogie on Chuck Berry’s “Little Queenie” featuring Ian Stewart’s piano playing. Speaking of which, Lisa and Mona could do an excellent cover of ‘Little Queenie’ no doubt!

• Jung Roe

20/02/2019 at 06:34

Howard, I can see why you like the Rolling Stones so much.  I think they wrote some of the most beautiful ballads in rock music history.  My three faves of their absolutely beautiful ballads are “Angie”, “Wild Horses”, and “As Tears Go By”.  From a band that does Satisfaction, Sympathy for the Devil, Honky Tonk Woman, etc to angelic pieces like the 3 ballads I mentioned, just go to show the depth and talent of the Stones.  Truly one of the best Rock bands of all time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZn2-bGXqQ

• Jung Roe

20/02/2019 at 06:52

Loved the guitar jamming session by Mona and Lisa on the just posted “Dizzy Miss Lizzy” here at the MLT Club.   Niice guitar riffs there.  This is just what I was thinking about when I posted this thread to see Lisa and Mona’s Gretsch and Rickenbacker smoke.

• Jim Yahr

20/02/2019 at 06:53

Those are all relativity simple  – let’s give them a challenge – how about “Little Wing” by Hendrix?

• Jung Roe

22/02/2019 at 20:04

I listened to Little Wing and that is indeed a more technically advanced Hendricks piece.  My fave Hendricks are Foxy Lady and Purple Haze, and  I hear a healthy dose of Club 27 in them. ????

• Thomas Randall

20/02/2019 at 15:18

Off the top of my head:

“And your bird can sing”.

“Windy” (The Association)

“Sunshine of your love” (Cream)

“Summer in the City” (Lovin’ spoonful)

“Turn, Turn, Turn” (The Byrds)

• Jung Roe

22/02/2019 at 22:40

Nice ones Tommy.  Mona and Lisa I am sure would do Sunshine of Your Love great justice given their marvelous interpretation of Cream’s White Room.

• Jung Roe

02/03/2019 at 07:31

Are you guys familiar with the band BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive)?  The Guess Who, and BTO were huge in Canada in the 70’s.   Not sure how big they were outside of Canada.

BTO’s “Taking Care of Business” has the same kind of vibe as Beatles “Hey Bulldog” MLT covered in BAM3, and would be another nice one with some great guitar riffs.  Would make an awesome guitar jamming warm up song for Mona and Lisa.

• Howard

02/03/2019 at 07:43

Yes Jung, quite familiar with BTO. by the way, ‘You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet’, Bbbaby, you ain’t seen nnothing yet!

• Jung Roe

02/03/2019 at 09:04

That’s a good one Howard.  My older brother use to have a rock band when he was in high school, and him and his band use to play BTO a lot, especially “Taking Care of Business” I remember so I have that song engraved in me literally from the high db band practice he use to do on Saturdays when our parents went out.  The RCMP came by a few times to tell the kids to turn down the volume.   If my mom and dad only knew back then.   Maybe a new question idea for Mona and Lisa.  Did they have any neighbors complain when they use to practice their electric guitars and drums in Austria growing up?  I just couldn’t imagine anyone getting upset with Mona and Lisa for practicing too loud.  🙂

Page 1 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!