• Jacki Hopper

21/10/2023 at 02:41

Lol… Just thought of a few more things to add here…. here’s a link to The Gruesomes on the Flintstones …. there are a few other episodes I think on YT of the Gruesomes on the Flintstones , then there is a kinda creepy one on Bugs Bunny with the vampire, and Scooby-Doo Doo Gaunted House one ….<div>

And one old black/white Horror Film from 1930s/40s was ” House of Wax ” , Walt Disney cartoon movie of Kefends of Skeepy Hollow – the headless horseman scene , scared me as a kid, another Dudney movie that scared me, Child of Glass, and there’s some more stuff I do not lije in movies that bothered-scared me as a kid, in my teens, now that I don’t care to watch… Wizard of Oz , that Evil Wizard projected on the bug screen in oakace scene freaked me out as a kid as dud the Wicked Witch, etc….

https://youtu.be/AG8hVWk3mUk?si=ejZ66mfUS1_CwNAF

</div>

• Jacki Hopper

21/10/2023 at 02:45

Hi Tim, no they are not related and in fact I’m a fan of Maureen O’Hara stuff too… you can add me on here as a Connection on your profile page if you like

• Tim Arnold

21/10/2023 at 02:59

Thanks Jacki, I was just reading Catherine O’hara bio on Wikipedia. I do remember her on quite a few movies and TV shows. I used to love the SCTV with John Candy and Martin Short. There were a bunch of great comedic actors that got their start there. I love all the old cartoons too. The writers and producers were so creative back in the day. The roadrunner and coyote were my favorites I think, and Sylvester and Tweety but they were all funny. I still like watching them on Boomerang. I will try to add you as a connection if I can figure out how to do that, thank you.

• Jacki Hopper

21/10/2023 at 03:02

Another 2 examples of Horror stuff….one funny and one kind of creepy-ish to me but I watched it anyways as the title intrigued me …..

First up, the funny Abbott & Costello Mummy Horror movie, that was funny …

The other one that I watched but didn’t care fir as it was kind if creepy-ish for my liking…

Mrs. Peregrine ‘s Peculiar Children …..

• Tim Arnold

21/10/2023 at 03:18

I’ll have to look those up. The Abbott and Costello one sounds familiar but I don’t recall the other. We still have 11 days until Halloween so I’m sure I will find a lot more to post. I’m going to look for a couple of the cartoon ones I remember if I can find them on YouTube. Do Canadians celebrate Halloween like we do in the States. In my area in Wisconsin it is generally trick or treating for the kids in the afternoon. Maybe a few house parties for kids too. Our high school put on a haunted house to raise money for school programs. They put on a mild version for kids and a scarier version for adults. They do a real good job, they have scared me before, I haven’t went for a few years. A few of the clubs have bands or DJs and have costume parties. I and my wife used to do them every year. At midnight they would pick winners and then most people revealed themselves. It was a lot of fun but I haven’t done it since she passed away in 2014.

• Tim Arnold

21/10/2023 at 16:18

Not exactly a Halloween movie but I loved the special effects and Jim Carey’s performance in The Mask. Very funny movie if you haven’t seen it. I believe it was the first film featuring Cameron Diaz. This is the scene where Jim first discovers the power of the mask.

https://youtu.be/csvOWBDx1oM?feature=shared

• Jacki Hopper

21/10/2023 at 23:53

Yes…Halloween is celebrated on October 31st in Canada … Jim Carrey is Canadian… another horror-ish/kinda comedy thriller that comes to mind that features, yet another Cabaduan actor, Michael J Fox is “The Frighteners” … of course there is all the Ghostbusters movies ( including the female version ) and my fave scene from one of the Ghostbusters movies…. Tge Final Arrival of Titanic….lol….

Another movie in which there is a debate is about a ghost of a boy appearing in a scene during the movie, the movie being ” Three Men and a Baby “

• Tim Arnold

23/10/2023 at 16:47

I don’t care for a lot of music from the 90’s but I’ve always like this song which is a good addition for this forum thread because sometimes the worst demons are the ones inside of you. They are the hardest to deal with and sometimes cannot be defeated.

https://youtu.be/H58gMiQQRm0?feature=shared

• Tim Arnold

24/10/2023 at 16:45

My Monsters and Music video for today is from one of the coolest bands of the 70’s. Dr. Hook and The Medicine Show, Too wild and wooly for country music radio and too country for main stream pop radio, they played songs that could make you laugh, cry, kiss your Mamma or tear your heart out of your chest. I still love them today, especially their early albums before they cleaned up their act. This is a song from their first album about a little witch from the swamps of Louisiana named Marie Laveau. She is one of those girls like Sweet Lorraine or Wednesday Adams that you definitely do not want to have on your bad side or it will be “Yeeeeee, another man done gone”.

https://youtu.be/hJdhrWCWIRs?feature=shared

• Tim Arnold

26/10/2023 at 18:12

An eerie bluesy tune by two of my favorite young guitar players Samantha Fish from Kansas City and Sadie Johnson from Bloomington Indiana jamming out live in 2014 in Owensboro Kentucky.

https://youtu.be/Y2Xyk12nhLo?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

27/10/2023 at 01:09

Not all Monster songs are scary.

https://youtu.be/k7_xzAWLv-g

• Chris Weber

27/10/2023 at 04:02

Some are though. This is more internal ones. #1 on the Rock Charts in 2019.

https://youtu.be/J6sIK2KnhH8

• Tim Arnold

27/10/2023 at 17:33

Oh I like that one Chris, I love the Twins but I like some heavier stuff every now and then. Here’s a band I was listening to a couple years ago. They are a family band, made up of 3 brothers and 2 sisters and managed by their father that have some really good rock covers. Kind of like a heavy metal Partridge family. Singer Melody Christea has a fantastic rock voice and I like watching her sister Abby beat the heck out of her drums. They kind of overdo the stage show a bit, especially with the hair but I like their sound. This is the band Liliac covering Metallica’s Enter Sandman.

https://youtu.be/INouvLl1JiQ?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

27/10/2023 at 23:30

I grew up in suburbia, so even though country music was available, I didn’t grow up with it. I still don’t know that much about it. I remember playing in a band in the early ’80s and the singer brought in a country song. That was culture shock – a different idea of harmonic rhythm, to begin with, but playing in bands taught me a bit about how it works. It’s very popular around here. and everywhere else in America. The biggest country radio station in this part of the state is a mile from my house.

There’s at least one guy I always knew and liked though, and that was the man in black, Johnny Cash.

https://youtu.be/JMll6TNnTs4

• Tim Arnold

28/10/2023 at 00:41

Yeah Chris, I grew up in the middle of cow country, our local radio station is actually WCOW and is all country music. All my older relatives listened to country and played a lot of it in their different bands. I guess that’s why I liked rock n roll so much because I didn’t want to listen to what the old people were listening to, that would be uncool. Listening to country music was like kissing a fat girl, nothing wrong with it, you just don’t want anyone to know about it, Lol. Truth is I like a lot of the older stuff like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. I don’t like much of the new pop-country stuff, it all sounds the same to me. Another old boy I really liked was Charlie Daniels. He had to tour with Rock acts starting out because the band had long hair and sang about subjects that were taboo in Nashville. I seen him in the late 70’s with (I believe) Journey and Cheap Trick, again some of the late 70’s and early 80’s are a little unclear. Talk about a shock to all of us that went to hear rock n roll, but they played great and really got the crowd going. So here is Charlie Daniels and his “Monster” hit The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

https://youtu.be/wBjPAqmnvGA?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

28/10/2023 at 01:56

I know Charley Daniels; that song you posted got play on the rock channels. Crossover hit.

We thought he was “southern rock” at the time. Although I don’t remember any other songs of his. So my question is, did he tour with rock bands before he had that crossover hit? That might be another reason he was there.

I’m with you in preferring the older, classic style of country music. But everybody loves Willie Nelson. The newer country/pop songs would not have had that harmonic rhythm difference that I mentioned in that story from the ’80s. The newer stuff changes chords just like pop and rock do.

• Tim Arnold

28/10/2023 at 17:55

I think The Devil Went Down To Georgia was a couple years after I seen him. He had a hit called Long Haired Country Boy that, for a pure country record, got a lot of air play on rock radio. Mostly because of lines like “I get stoned in the morning, I get drunk in the afternoon”. I think he had quite a few cross over hits and I’m guessing maybe it was because of having to tour with rock bands and a lot of that crowd liking his music. He was probably billed as southern rock and I suspect he toured with some of those bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd. I suppose because the country music establishment wouldn’t claim him I guess they had to label him as something. I really dislike all the different labels. To me it’s all music and either I like it or I don’t.

Anyway I have another Monster song. This is a band from your backyard. I had a Facebook post this morning about the 50th anniversary of the song Smokin’ In The Boys Room. I remember listening to that song in junior high school when a kid from the audio visual department would play DJ in the gymnasium at lunch hour. Man, 50 years, that went by fast. I really liked Cub Koda and Brownsville Station because they just played rowdy, raunchy Rock n Roll. I know they weren’t that good but they didn’t have to be. In those days I listened to music on a cheap phonograph or 8 track player that had terrible sound anyway. It just had to make you feel good. So here’s a feel good song about an alien in a hamburger joint by Brownsville Station called The Martian Boogie. I have heard this was all done in one take which is incredible.

https://youtu.be/RU8EqkQKfw0?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

29/10/2023 at 01:02

Yes, Brownsville Station is from my backyard. One of the original members still lives walking distance from me. He teaches guitar at a local music store and runs his studio. I remember Smoking in the Boy’s Room.

There’s an annual Memorial Day festival in Detroit for electronic music. I know nothing about electronic music. I thought it might be interesting to go to that festival one year, until I found out tickets were over $100. I’ve been spoiled by years of free jazz.

This year I found out why that music festival is there. Techno was invented in the early ’80s 10 miles from where I live, by The Belleville Three. I never knew that. I played in a band that rehearsed in Belleville, a town of 3,000 people, at that same time period.

Here’s a Techno song, by a couple Austrian/Italian lads. I wonder if team MLT knows of these guys.

https://youtu.be/VWNFj9rm6tc

• Jung Roe

29/10/2023 at 02:28

I’ve never seen a Martian boogie before, fun video Tim. 👍 Like the ZZTop feel of Martian boogie. Haven’t been to a really greasy spoon for a burger either lately, don’t see too many around these days. I could do with a nice juicy burger and fries. There are a few diners up north of where I am have to visit next time I’m that way. Maybe will run into a Martian. 😇

You know Mona and Lisa are no strangers to little green aliens.

• Tim Arnold

29/10/2023 at 16:39

Jung, thanks for the picture of Mona with her alien. I thought about that too while watching the video. You’re right, there’s not many of the greasy spoon diners around anymore. It’s been a while since I’ve had a big greasy cheeseburger with a slice of onion and tomato and a big basket full of homemade fries and unlimited packets of ketchup. Now I’m hungry, Lol. Thanks for the reply.

• Chris Weber

27/10/2023 at 23:47

That Liliac tune was fun. I actually don’t listen to hard rock much any more. I did in my youth though. It’s fun to play too. Play it like you mean it. This is closer to what I might play when my neighbors want to hear my guitar. Okay, they never tell me they want to hear it, but I’m sure they do. And really, the guy next door, and both the husband and wife across the street all play trombone, so they can’t complain.

I didn’t recognize the title, but I see it’s Metallica now. I recognized the tune though when they started. So another one for the list of songs that I remember hearing before, but not the title, or any of the lyrics, or who wrote it. Lol.

• Jung Roe

29/10/2023 at 03:13

I’m not too familiar with the Cranberries, but came across this amazing performance. Love the guitar sounds. It has political undertones of war, that is a monster.

https://youtu.be/de4AUcVWfSI?si=sEv3XBGG9CGPA-jh

• Tim Arnold

29/10/2023 at 16:50

This is the only song I know by the Cranberries. Our family band which is called Home By Nine and consists of two nephews John and Jd, my niece Amber, John’s daughter Michelle and Jd’s best friend Pat have played this song for a few years. I went out and listened to them Friday night at a local club. When they played this song Amber’s daughter and sister as well as Pat’s wife joined them on stage to sing along. It was the highlight of the night, very fun. Thanks for the video.

• Jürgen

29/10/2023 at 06:01

The Hooters are one of the bands from the 80s whose music I still enjoy listening to today. Now that we’ve come to the topic of zombies, here’s the song to go with it.

PS: Jung, the song “Zombie” by the Cranberries also has cult status here with us.

https://youtu.be/2LE0KpcP05I?si=v7VlmF084dDQg60E

• Jung Roe

29/10/2023 at 06:37

Hi Jurgen, nice guitar work in the song, like it. Back in the 80s many bands still had great musicianship like here, that seems to have waned through the 90s and now you barely hear guitar in new songs in the charts. I think I’ve heard this one before, sounds familiar. Good to hear Cranberries are still popular, their “Zombie” is really good.

• Tim Arnold

29/10/2023 at 17:52

That’s a good song Jurgen, I don’t remember The Hooters but they have a very good sound. I agree with Jung about bands in the 80’s. In the new century it seems if you have a half way decent voice you can have a hit record using computer generated music. Actually, you don’t even need a good voice, that can be digitally produced too. Of course there are exceptions, and I’m very thankful for artists like Mona and Lisa that produce outstanding music with hard work, talent and pride.

• Jürgen

29/10/2023 at 06:06

And again “Die Ärzte”. The band has written two songs on the subject of zombies. The first one is called “Pro-Zombie” and is a rather nice song with a slightly ironic undertone. If you like it harder and louder, “Die Ärzte Anti-Zombie” is recommended. Even if the three members of the band seem nice and harmless at first glance, they have had a number of scandals in the past as a post-punk band. Not least because of their provocative lyrics.

The text goes something like this:

If I were a zombie, I wouldn't need a station wagon anymore.
    Because let's not kid ourselves: who would use a zombie as a freight forwarder?
    If I were a zombie, I wouldn't have any worries anymore.
    I would be an upright, good-looking undead.
    That's pretty much what it would be like if I were a zombie,
    If I were a zombie.
    If I were a zombie, I would need a manager.
    I know a director, I can work there on the side.
    That wouldn't be difficult at all: I'd mostly just walk back and forth.
    Scaring children with a spear - any amateur could do that.
    If I were a zombie, if I were a zombie,
    Happy zombie, happy zombie
    If I were a, if I were a, if I were a zombie.
    If I were one, if I were one, if I were two zombies.

https://youtu.be/3MCyliP-lqA?si=asUy6xm0n3TaILW9

• Jung Roe

29/10/2023 at 06:49

Thanks for the translation to English Jurgen. The song is catchy, the lyrics fit in well with the Halloween vibe, especially the eerie vocals at the end.

• Tim Arnold

29/10/2023 at 17:19

Hi Jurgen, It sounds similar to metal music to me. I don’t understand the German language which is ok because I don’t understand half the language in American heavy metal music but I do like the beat and the music. Very cool, thanks.

• Tim Arnold

29/10/2023 at 18:18

I’ve always loved Dr. Hook and The Medicine show, especially their first few albums before they cleaned up their act. They had songs that could tear the heart out of your soul or make you laugh out loud. They were basically a country band that was wild, wooly, sweaty, and usually stoned but the band was amazingly tight and very talented. Here’s a very politically uncorrect tune from their second album called the Freaker’s Ball.

https://youtu.be/BEKrHTfrvoo?feature=shared

• Tim Arnold

30/10/2023 at 16:39

After posting a clip of Jim Stafford in another forum I remembered Jim had a big record about some creepy crawly things that he somehow thought would win the affections of a lovely girl. I really liked this record back in the day and it is still very cool. A song fitting for this thread is Jim’s monster hit from 1974, Spiders and Snakes

https://youtu.be/_TRJUAaQ2WU?feature=shared

• David Herrick

30/10/2023 at 17:00

I remember this one, Tim! As an eight-year-old boy at the time, I was happy to see subject matter in a song that I could relate to.

• Tim Arnold

30/10/2023 at 17:46

Yeah David, Jim’s best songs weren’t very heavy lyrically, he had a sense of humor in his songs. I can remember a couple other of his songs called Cow Patty and My Girl Bill. He was another one of those country boys that could really play a guitar and was a great entertainer.

I like all the songs about swamps and bayous of the American Southeast. The songs about voodoo and black magic to me they were as freaky and scary as ghosts or aliens. Here’s another one you might remember David from a Louisiana boy named Jerry Reed and a monster hit called Amos Moses. When your Daddy uses you for Alligator bait, yeah that’s kind of creepy, nice parenting, Lol.

https://youtu.be/n7GyLr7Cz2g?feature=shared

• David Herrick

30/10/2023 at 18:55

I hadn’t heard that one, Tim, but I am familiar with Cow Patti. Clever, funny stuff!

• Jürgen

30/10/2023 at 17:03

A real Monster Shocker from the 80s is still missing here. The movie is still a lot of fun today. But the truly scariest thing about the movie is not the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, but Ray Parker Jr.’s theme song. 😄

https://youtu.be/prdMsp-o1G0?si=kTG7BtY8SLpwxAVQ

• Tim Arnold

30/10/2023 at 17:24

Thanks Jurgen, I was waiting for this one to come up. That was a great movie theme song and a very big hit for Ray Parker Jr. Very funny and very iconic movie. If no one posted this before Halloween I would have posted it, thanks

Sigourney Weaver was in a lot of cool horror and Sci-fi movies. Here’s a clip from Aliens, also in the 80’s. It’s funny how the special effects that seemed so real back then are kind of mild by today’s standards. I see the whole movie is available for free on YouTube. It might be a good one to revisit on Halloween. The link says the video is restricted so it may not work in this forum.

https://youtu.be/kmT_-erX0TA?feature=shared

• Jürgen

30/10/2023 at 19:57

Yes Tim, the video has an age restriction and will therefore not be shown. Since I won’t be 18 for another two months, I’m not allowed to open it on my own yet. Too bad. 😄

But back to the movie Alien: the suspense of the movie actually lives from what you don’t see, but what you expect to see at any time. As far as I remember, the Alien itself is only shown once in full size during the whole movie. Actually more of a thriller than a horror film. I really liked it, but I don’t think that I’ll watch it again. (If I really want to scare myself on Halloween, I only have to look in the bathroom mirror, shortly after waking up. Before I even had my first coffee. That’s enough.)

The alien design by the Swiss artist H.R. Giger is also interesting. He became famous for his sculptures, in which, just like the design for Alien, he tried to combine a synthesis of biological and mechanical elements. There is also a matching guitar. It is an Ibanez Iceman guitar that was painted by Giger himself. By the way: Paul Stanley from the band Kiss played an Iceman guitar (but the normal version, without alien design). It went quite well with his outfit.

• Tim Arnold

31/10/2023 at 20:17

Jurgen, yeah it sucks you have to be of age to watch the video, it is just a battle between the Alien and Sigourney Weaver. I like that guitar, I remember KISS used a few specially designed guitars. I found a picture of on of Gene Simmon’s basses that is signed and in the Smithsonian institute.

• Tim Arnold

31/10/2023 at 19:35

Ok it’s Halloween so I guess I have to post my favorite shock rocker of all time. I got to see Alice in concert in La Crosse WI and what a great stage show, blood and body parts all over. I kept thinking the clean up crew was gonna be busy the next day, what a mess, Lol. Funny thing years later Alice played outside at the Fort McCoy military base as part of their Army Concert series. They would bring in some great bands to entertain the troops that were training there. I was working on the base at the time and sometimes I would sign up for clean up duty in exchange for free tickets to the show. I couldn’t go that night because I was working 2nd shift maintenance at the base that night and took some extended breaks to sit in a nearby parking lot and listen to the music and the crowd and being thankful I wasn’t cleaning up the next day. A great showman with some great music.

https://youtu.be/aOeP4p1fjMs?feature=shared

• David Herrick

31/10/2023 at 20:00

Wow! Once when I was nine years old I spent the night at my best friend’s house, and his parents let us stay up all night. Around midnight we turned on the TV and found Alice Cooper performing this very song. I’m still recovering from the shock.

• Tim Arnold

31/10/2023 at 20:22

Yeah he put on a great show when I seen him. I think I counted 7 or 8 murder victims including Alice himself being decapitated by the guillotine. Not counting the many dolls that got sliced up during Billion Dollar Babies, it was a great show.

• Tim Arnold

31/10/2023 at 21:12

Here’s one from back before my time. Maybe the first shock rocker. What a great showman, it would have been fun to see him back in the day.

https://youtu.be/7kGPhpvqtOc?feature=shared

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Tim Arnold.
    • Chris Weber

31/10/2023 at 23:02

Now you know why they called him Screaming. That’s great.

I never saw that before.

Page 3 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!