MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion More MLT Cover Requests

• Jung Roe

22/02/2020 at 22:59

This song really resonate with me listening to it now.  My little radio, in my room as a young teen.  Some 60s and 70s  songs when I hear them transport me back to those times.  Life was so full of wonder and fascination.

“Those old melodies still sound so good to me as they melt the years away….”

https://youtu.be/chb661WIIHM

• David Herrick

22/02/2020 at 23:40

It gets to me too, Jung.  When I learned it as a ten-year-old in my grade school music class I couldn’t relate to the lyrics at all, but of course now it’s a testimonial to the power of music to send you back in time.

• Jung Roe

23/02/2020 at 10:10

[postquote quote=84983][/postquote]
    Indeed David, music has that magic to take you back to a time and bring back such vivid emotions as you experienced it then.  Yesterday Once More is such a beautiful song, my fave of the Carpenters.

• Jung Roe

23/02/2020 at 10:18

[postquote quote=85688][/postquote]
    Whoa! Nice quote reply enhancement team MLT.  🙂

• David Herrick

23/02/2020 at 17:15

One of the most stressful incidents of my life was my first day of junior high school, when I was eleven.  Without going into details, some problems arose, and for the first time in my life I was without an adult to turn to immediately to resolve them.

I was on the verge of freaking out, when my brain suddenly started playing “Little Star” by the Elegants (from my “Fonzie’s Favorites” album), and I immediately calmed down.

To this day, whenever I hear that soothing song I’m transported back to that moment, and I relive in excruciating detail all the panicky thoughts that were going through my head:  thoughts that otherwise would have been long since forgotten.

For better or for worse, that’s the effect that music can have on us.

• Howard

24/02/2020 at 01:33

Yes David, much can be (and has been in this forum) said about the therapeutic power of music to sooth a troubled soul. Man’s best friend can also do this. I have a house minding job coming up where I’ll be minding two gorgeous cavoodles. One is a comfort dog for a young lady with an anxiety condition.

I can’t recall hearing this song before so just listened to it. One of those doo-wop type groups gaining popularity in the 1950s, that enjoyed its peak successes in the early 1960s, but continued to influence performers in other genre. I imagine groups like the Beach Boys and other harmony groups of the sixties would have been influenced by groups like this. Beautiful harmonising.

You don’t Really need them now we have the MLT, who I’m sure have also been influenced by such music.

• Jacki Hopper

24/02/2020 at 02:43

Like David, I too suffered miserably, well, all through my school years, but the worse was in my first year of Grade 7, not going into details but belueve me when I say it definitely impacted me…. And because partly of that and other reasons, I had to repeat Grade 7…

I tend to turn to Happy Feel Good Songs when feeling down….

I agree… Music just has that Healing power, but also on flip side, it can be detrimental, have negative impacts, I’d prefer the Postive Aspects it offers…

There was a great quote the late country  music singer Patsy Cline said to country singer Dottie West probably in the mid fifties-early 60s  at the times of their careers taking flight…. Good advice then and revelant now,Since I don’t know how to use the Quote function on here… Yet…. Lol, I’m just going to copy/paste the Quote Dottie West was referring to in an interview one time that Patsy Cline had told her of:

“‘Hoss, if you can’t do it with feeling, don’t'”.[82]

• David Herrick

24/02/2020 at 02:55

Thanks, Howard and Jacki.

I may have overstated my point a little.  The problems I was having weren’t in retrospect that significant, but they were monumental to me at the time.  Plus I still enjoy listening to that song, but it always comes with an unavoidable side dish of anxiety.  It’s more the unpleasant and vivid memory of how I felt, as opposed to actually being in that same state of mind again.

• Howard

24/02/2020 at 03:00

Yes, you did have a hard time of it at school Jacki. However, it doesn’t seem to have adversely affected you when it comes to your creative writing skills. As they say, sometimes out of adversity, good things can come.

• Thomas Randall

13/03/2020 at 16:55

Resurrecting this thread because one song just popped into my head that I always loved, The Cyrkle’s “Red Rubber Ball”! I can hear the girls singing this one in my head right now! This needs to be done! Short and sweet tune which should be a piece of cake for them. Written by the one and only Paul Simon and Bruce Woodley.

• David Herrick

13/03/2020 at 17:30

Agreed, Thomas!

When I first started getting into the music of the 60’s, this was my go-to “happy song”.  It has a quintessential two-part harmony, and it fits the spirit of MLT perfectly.

Technically, that should be the TWO and only, right?

• Thomas Randall

13/03/2020 at 17:50

[postquote quote=88565][/postquote]

LOL! I guess you’re right. I was thinking more along the lines of Paul Simon being the one and only. But I think most of us can relate to the songs lyrics.  By the way, John Lennon is the one that suggested the spelling of the band’s name. AND they open for The Beatles I believe on that last show they ever played live in America.

• David Herrick

13/03/2020 at 18:15

Wow, I hadn’t heard either of those bits of trivia connecting the Cyrkle to the Beatles.  I don’t know their story, but how cool is it to have John Lennon name your group and Paul Simon write a hit song for you?

Maybe you were aware of this, but the Seekers (with Bruce Woodley) recorded their own version of “Red Rubber Ball”.  As much as I love the Seekers, I enjoy the Cyrkle’s performance a little more.

• Thomas Randall

13/03/2020 at 18:30

[postquote quote=88569][/postquote]

Ahhh yes the Seekers! Judith had an incredible voice! “I’ll never find another you” is a favorite of mine from them! If I recall Paul Simon gave away Red Rubber Ball and didn’t think it was that good. They say he was surprised it became a hit. Happy but surprised.

• Jacki Hopper

13/03/2020 at 20:20

Bottom line here…. It doesn’t matter what genre /era the covers come from or song selections, etc…

Point Is… Team MLT can definitely take whatever song, make it their own and equal or better the original by a long shot…?

Page 2 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!