MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Music videos (killed the radio star?)

• David Herrick

22/08/2021 at 04:55

Jung, Medium Terzett’s sound is like what I would expect to hear in a German beer house, with all the patrons laughing and swaying back and forth to the music with their steins held high.

I can’t find any of their songs from that comedy album on YouTube, but there are a number of others that can give you their flavor, such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JksIHy0V5ZM

• Jung Roe

22/08/2021 at 07:15

David that kind of reminds me a bit of Lawrence Welk, and Mona’s Austrian Zither vinyl, bright and cheery music indeed. I came across a Lawrence Welk album at a thrift store last year that I bought, as my parents listened to Lawrence Welk all the time. Sometimes you can find little gems in the most unexpected places. After watching this video, makes me want to go watch Mona on the accordion in Vincent.

• Jürgen

22/08/2021 at 10:03

Hello David,

nice to hear from you. To the video of Medium Terzett “Der Harmonika Hansl” (translated roughly: The Hans with the harmonica) I answer with a quote from the Queen: “It’s shocking”. The group Medium Terzett probably started out as a comedy group once (songs like “Ein Loch ist im Eimer – A hole is in the bucket“, “Wer hat die Kokosnuß geklaut -Who stole the coconut” were certainly ironic and very popular in the late 60s and early 70s). A bit like Monthy Python for beginners. The group then unfortunately slipped into a style of music that we call „German folk music“. Jung described it well: beer tent, Oktoberfest, one, two suffa. The worldview, all Germans wear leather trousers and drink beer in the morning. No, only Bavarians do that and only sometimes 🙂. This type of music, German folk music, represents all that my generation and generations before have revolted against. This type of music is the nightmare of all young people in Germany, it is Reason why there was the Star Club in Hamburg and why young people wanted to listen to music by Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who etc. In this respect, one can somehow be grateful to German folk music. For a long time in Germany it was frowned upon among young people to listen to music with German lyrics. The German folk music and the associated attitude towards life has created a countermovement. “Krautrock”, but also punk, new wave and hard rock would not have existed with us without groups like the Medium Terzett. So there probably never would have been „The Scorpions“. But I’ll agree with you David, Medium Terzett’s early stuff is fun and entertaining. For example this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9evrRGi2gw (Medium Terzett – Musik aus Stuiod B. 1968)

Thanks to David and also to Jung for your interest in German music culture. If you are interested, I could also open my own topic with the title “Krautrock”. Maybe one or the other here in the forum is interested. But I don’t know if it fits into this forum

PS: Something really wacky here: The Heimatdamisch: Sweet Child o’ Mine (Guns n’ Roses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbsEZzgCwmI

• David Herrick

22/08/2021 at 15:55

Thanks for the insider’s perspective, Juergen! I can see how young Germans would rebel against that type of music just as young Americans rebelled against Lawrence Welk and the like. But to me, any music from another country and in another language is exotic and intriguing, especially if it sounds like it’s just celebrating being alive.

Feel free to start that new topic; you never know what’s going to catch on around here. Papa Rudi produced some Falco songs, so there is that connection that you could lead in with. In the U.S. at least, “kraut” is nowadays considered to be sort of an ethnic slur, but you would know better than I if “Krautrock” is a mainstream term.

• Jürgen

22/08/2021 at 16:55

Hello David,

thanks for the answer. Yes, I know that “Kraut” is an insult. Nevertheless, in Germany, Krautrock is often used in a self ironic term and it is probably related back to the band “Faust” from Hamburg, who released an LP in 1973 whose opening title was called “Krautrock”. The label Virgin records adopted the term as a genre name for German rock with a psychedelic touch. But you’re right: actually unflattering. And I didn’t mean to devalue your interest in some sort of music. Shame on me. You are interested in new styles of music and that is great. Thanks. (… and I’m just blasting the subject of this topic, sorry Jung…).

• Jung Roe

22/08/2021 at 21:14

No problem Juergen, and thanks for the insight into the German music. As you said, in a round about way I guess we should be thankful for the German folk music which led many of the young German generations to embrace rock and pop culture and led to the movement of the Hamburg music scene in the 50s and early 60s through which the Beatles benefited too and enabled them to hone their musicianship skills and gained much exposure and experience to a variety of music during their time there that helped the diversity in their own music later on.

Page 4 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!