MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion My All Time Fave Drummers…

• My All Time Fave Drummers…

Posted by Jacki Hopper on 10/02/2020 at 22:26

Ok, seeing that Drummers are being discussed on here in various topics, let me list my top 20 All Time Fave Drummers:

#1- Mona

#2-Animal(Muppet)

#3-Keith Moon

#4-Russ Kunkel

#5-Ringo Starr

#6-Phil Collins

#7- Karen Carpenter

#8-   Vicki Petersen (Bangles)

#9- Chris McNeil (Glass Tiger)

#10- Roger Taylor (Duran Duran)

#11-  drummer from Wrecking Crew in the 60s(name escapes me just now)

#12-  John Bonham

#13- Mick Fleetwood

#14- drummer from Beach Boys(again, name escapes me just now)

#15- Charlie Watts

#16- drummer on Patsy Cline recording sessions – name escapes me just now)

#17-

#18-

#19-

#20-

Okay, my brain has fizzled name wise for the last bunch on my list here, but wam looking forward to what others on here claim as their all time fave 20 Drummers for them… ?

Jacki Hopper replied 4 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Jung Roe

11/02/2020 at 06:26

I don’t have many, but my top favorites drummers are easy:

1.  Mona Wagner

2. Dennis Wilson (Beach Boys)

3. Ringo Starr (Beatles)

I think Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, while not known for his technical prowess as a drummer, was nevertheless one of the most influential drummers in music as any of the great drummers.

Some excerpts from Modern Drummer Magazine about why Dennis Wilson was a notable drummer.

Through the years, the Beach Boys have been misunderstood by many casual listeners. While their sun-splashed harmonies and exquisite melodies have kept spirits high across the globe for decades, the “fun in the sun” themes largely associated with the band belie the sophistication of much of the music. Fact is, the group ranks among the most influential creative forces of the twentieth century.

The Beach Boys’ original drummer, Dennis Wilson, also tends to get short shrift. Indeed, he’s not associated with the stuff of many exalted sticksmen. Solos and double-stroke rolls were not his thing. There are no instruction books or videos bearing his name.

Though it’s been written that Dennis briefly studied the traps at one time, Marks remembers, “He started off cold, by just picking up sticks and playing in the Wilson music room. He’d watch other drummers and grab licks from listening to the Ventures, Chuck Berry, Dick Dale & His Del-Tones [the ferocious guitar-led combo that sparked the instrumental surf-music craze], and whatever else was on the radio at the time.

He poured his colossal heart and soul into everything he did. Passionate, free, helplessly romantic, generous, and cool are a few words that come to mind to describe Denny. He breathed life into the music of the Beach Boys, and in so doing, he played a major role in helping to define an era as well as change the face of popular culture forever.

Wilson’s drumming is downright fierce, as he drives the guitar-led “Surf Jam” and a cover of Dick Dale’s “Let’s Go Trippin’” with power, precision, and a true punkrock attitude.
    “Shut Down” (the “Surfin’ USA” B-side and a number-twenty-three charter), one of the group’s famed car tunes, presents a fine example of Denny’s style. He boots the band with controlled abandon and shifts the kick pattern on the chorus to great effect. His trademark emphasis on the “&” of beat 2 of the surf snare pattern and his frantic buzz rolls snap this badass song into a tough, danceable frenzy.

Denny’s playing on a 1963 45 by the Four Speeds, “R.P.M.”/“My Sting Ray,” is noted by fans and collectors. The Speeds were a studio pack fronted by Brian Wilson’s early collaborator Gary Usher. Dennis’s animalistic prowess was also coveted by the likes of the Lovin’ Spoonful’s John Sebastian and L.A. songwriter P.F. Sloan.

In 1964, the Beach Boys’ appearance in the concert film T.A.M.I. Show is an eye-opener. It’s here that we learn Denny was a lefty playing a righty four-piece Camco kit, with only one cymbal (in addition to hi-hats) used as a crash/ride. (Photos from this period also show him using Rogers and Gretsch gear.) In terms of sheer excitement, the group holds its own with James Brown, the Rolling Stones, and other stars on the program.

By all accounts, Dennis was okay with abdicating his throne to seasoned players like Blaine, Earl Palmer, and Dennis Dragon when needed, in part because it allowed him to play hooky and follow other pursuits. His notes on the back cover of 1964’s All Summer Long sum it up well: “Maybe I just like a fast life of driving my Sting Ray and XKE, playing my drums, and meeting so many girls and guys (especially girls).” But Dennis drums on the lion’s share of the cuts on that classic album, including the group’s first number one, “I Get Around.” A rare drum solo, “Denny’s Drums,” fills out the Shut Down Volume 2 album, and that’s Dennis finessing the unorthodox pattern on “When I Grow Up (to Be a Man),” from The Beach Boys Today!

Through the ups and downs, Dennis fully supported his brother’s ideas and experimentation. “Brian is everything… we’re his messengers,” the drummer once explained. While his studio participation had largely been limited to vocals in 1966, Denny nevertheless laid down a heavy backbeat as the Boys grooved together once again on Wild Honey, a stripped-down, gritty, R&B-tinged LP released in late 1967.

You can see and feel the fierceness of Dennys drumming in this performance.

https://youtu.be/MDIBMaCTwFw

• Howard

11/02/2020 at 19:58

Hi Jacki. The “drummer from Wrecking Crew in the 60s(name escapes me just now)” was Hal Blaine. He was also a major drummer for Brian Wilson’s Beach Boys.

As far as favourite drummers go, it depends on what music I am listening to, but generally, my favourite is Mona (Mona is much more than just a drummer though), followed by Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr and Keith Moon. According to professional drummers, the best seems to be either John Bonham or Buddy Rich (jazz drummer).

For Cream, my favourite drummer is Ginger Baker, for the Jimi Hendrix Experience it is Mitch Mitchell, for Led Zepplin, it is John Bonham, for the Who it is Keith Moon, for the Beatles it is Ringo and for the Stones it is Charlie.

As far as the best is concerned, there seems to be general consensus among drummers that Buddy Rich (jazz drummer) or Jon Bonham was the best.

Jung, I can understand you being a Beach Boys fanatic from your youth. Sometimes our youthful innocence can blind us to harsh realities though.

If this is the best tribute you can find for Dennis Wilson, that’s very sad. A ’notable’ drummer doesn’t say much about his pecking order in the world’s drumming population. Notable for being in the Beach Boys. Without Brian Wilson, he would have been an unknown. A fawning tribute upon a celebrity death is par for the course. What I find significant are the bits you left out of the article.

In comparison, Charlie Watts was a ‘notable’ drummer even before he became a Rolling Stone in 1963. He is also more than a notable drummer now, even outside the Rolling Stones. His Rock ’n Roll life is very similar to Ringo Starr’s. Married to the same woman since before he even became a Rolling Stone and a virtual teetotaller all his life (with the exception of his obligatory mid-life crisis). Dennis Wilson’s name doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same company as Ringo and Charlie.

Brian Wilson relied on studio musicians for Pet Sounds, just as he had relied on professional drummers for most of his albums. He didn’t think he had enough studio time to devote to his own group who he didn’t think was up to his standard.

“As the reunited Beach Boys make headlines this year, MD remembers their late original drummer.”
    Do you know why the Beach Boys have made headlines again this year Jung? It’s for all the wrong reasons and has resulted in Brian Wilson and Al Jardine starting an online petition requesting all Beach Boys fans boycott Mike Love’s Beach Boys’ latest concert. I’ll be signing his petition. Mike Love is a buffoon who has been riding on Brian Wilson’s back for 50 years.

Charlie Watts at Luz de Gaz – Jazz Session – Barcelona
    The Magic of Boogie Woogie Axel Zwingenberger Dave Green Charlie Watts

https://youtu.be/VotV09-yh9Y

Dave Green was a childhood neighbour of Charlie’s and a fellow jazz enthusiast. David took up the bass at the same time Charlie took up jazz drumming.

• David Herrick

11/02/2020 at 20:15

I know next to nothing about drummers, but one prominent one that I don’t think has been mentioned here is Sandy Nelson.  Does anyone knowledgeable have any opinions about him?

• Howard

11/02/2020 at 21:04

I know the name well from the early sixties David. The following video isn’t very good quality, but it highlights Sandy’s drumming. It was taken live, twenty years ago. He’s probably best known for “Let there be drums”.

Sandy Nelson Drum Solo (Rare-You Haven’t Seen This Video)

https://youtu.be/Uv7JTIKUORY

• Thomas Randall

11/02/2020 at 23:21

For me (in no particular order):

Carl Palmer

Joe Franco

Karen Carpenter

Prairie Prince

Anton Fig

Buddy Rich

Vinnie Colaiuta

Terry Bozzio

Chad Wackerman

The newest member to my list, MONA!

Just to name a few.

• Jacki Hopper

12/02/2020 at 00:06

Hal Blaine-Wrecking Crew… That’s the one, Thanks Howard… Oh, I forgot about Buddy Rich…. I’m enjoying the replies here ??

• Jung Roe

12/02/2020 at 01:53

Of course you would feel that way Howard about anythng Beach Boys.

• Jacki Hopper

12/02/2020 at 02:16

Ok… I’m beginning to really wonder if this becoming a genuine animosity between both Howard and Jung, or if they both have just a great sense of humour tolerance for each other… I’m hoping for latter as I do/did not want my posting to be the grounds for negativity between club members…My sincere apologies to all, if it has, it wasn’t my intent.

• Howard

12/02/2020 at 02:31

LOL! Jung. It’s not just what I think. It’s what everyone thinks, especially Mr Beach Boy himself, Brian Wilson. The notable exception is Mike Love of course!

• Jung Roe

12/02/2020 at 02:58

No worries Jacki, no negativity here from my side.  Im sure Howard feels the same way.  ?

• Howard

12/02/2020 at 03:05

Don’t worry Jacki, you are definitely not responsible for any negativity and I do apologise if my sometimes idiosyncratic sense of humour offends. Jung has a heart of gold and perhaps I do tend to poke him a little too much. We both have very strong opinions which means he can often give me opportunities to do battle. However, the MLT philosophy of love, peace and understanding is always in the rear view mirror at least!

Stay groovy,

Howard

• Jacki Hopper

12/02/2020 at 19:57

Well, Howard and Jung, that’s good to hear but you’re forgetting that I too, also can voice  strong opinions and be stubborn in standing my ground too ..lol… does that makes us triplets of the Stubborn Kind …lol ?!….I don’t mind disagreement as long as it comes across respectfully 😉

• Michael Rife

16/02/2020 at 03:22

Going waaaay back:  Gene Krupa.  He predates Buddy Rich and the two would have “drum-offs” every now and then on TV.  But, by that time Buddy was still in his prime and would leave Gene in the dust.  But, at the time when I was a kid my dad didn’t care much for Buddy Rich because he had been arrested for something or the other (I later found out what.)

Also, did anyone mention the cantankerous Ginger Baker.  He was far from a traditional drummer but was very good………..but he rarely got along with anyone.  Oh…..and whoever the drummer was for Jimi Hendrix…..that guy was good……also the drummer for Badfinger.  Mike.

• Howard

16/02/2020 at 05:03

Mitch Mitchell was the drummer for the Jimi  Hendrix Experience and Michael George Gibbins was the drummer for Badfinger. Very sad story there.

• Michael Rife

16/02/2020 at 10:51

Howard:

Yes, the Badfinger story showed the worst case scenario of the music business during the 1970s.  At times I am saddened by it and at other times I am mad about it and just shake my head.  Mike.

• Jacki Hopper

17/02/2020 at 02:02

Well now… This topic is sure “Drumming Up” Different Beats and Drum Rolls… ??

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!