• My heart is breaking

Posted by Nima Rosepiper on 09/08/2023 at 22:45

Iʻm in tears. As soon as they stop they start again. Maui is burning. I lived there for 10years. As far as I know, all my friends are safe. Iʻll listen to your music to soothe, ease, find happy. Iʻll start with Neve.

Ian Boggs replied 1 year, 1 month ago 8 Members · 29 Replies
  • 29 Replies
  • Diana Geertsen

09/08/2023 at 23:10

Hi Nima,

Sorry. I sure hope everyone is OK. Hawaii holds a special place in my heart too (lived there for a while).

Diana

• Jacki Hopper

11/08/2023 at 16:24

As I’ve seen on tv news/online news app… I’ve shed tears too, to see such devastation occurring and the unthinkable , to such a beautiful place, thiugh I’ve never been , have had family/friends who have, it’s as , if not more beautiful than any images could justify but to see the sorrow, feel it, in utter disbelief at what’s going on, forever lifechanging but I know that there is resiliency there, and they shall/will overcome, stand strong and rebuild…. Mother Nature is having a recķoning globally, a wakeup call … I’m sorry Nima, how this has impacted/affected you so deeply, I hope you can find peace, glad to know the famiy/friends of yours are safe, and my Prayers going out to you, all in/of Hawaii , 🕊🐚🌴🌸

• Nima Rosepiper

11/08/2023 at 20:41

Thank you.

• Jacki Hopper

11/08/2023 at 23:42

🫶🤘🏻☮️

• Tom Fones

15/08/2023 at 07:00

Jacki,

now i am wondering how YOU are doing during that mess in Ottawa.

It ain’t pretty.

Cheers

• Jacki Hopper

15/08/2023 at 19:00

It’s ongoing cleanup for many….I only had power go off for half hour…I was on a bus, in a mall when the worst hit…. we actually set a single day record for rainfall…. and the 2 differentbuses I was on going/coming home that day, they each had to do a detour due to road closures because of the torrential flash flooding that did wipe out some roads, cause basement flooding for some in affected areas of Ottawa …..what I saw on local TV news coverage…it was awful and utter chaotic and horrible….. I’m not impressed by Mother Nature’s notion of her NaturePause…. with these extreme weather fluctuations, not common for Ottawa but yet starting to become common…. I’m okay….but it still scares the Bajeebas/Heebie-Geebies when it hits near my neck of woods and seeing Tornado Alerts cone on tv and on my phone …. Thankyou for checking in on me …It’s Appreciated … 🤘🏻☮️

• Nima Rosepiper

15/08/2023 at 20:09

Oh, my. I didn’t know about your rains. I hope you’re ok.

• Ian Boggs

13/08/2023 at 03:49

Nima, Diana, Jackie and everyone,

I wasn’t aware of this as I don’t watch TV or read newspapers any more. So, I went looking.

It’s messy indeed. My thoughts and prayers are for you and especially for those who have lost loved ones.

But I have hopes too.

I hope for communities and their becoming stronger. In my lifetime, I have seen communities the world over fractured by various agendae; terrorism (response), pandemic (response), woke, and now climate change (response) to name just a few.

All of the articles I read about these fires finished with pushing the climate change agenda. (Yet another reminder of why I no longer watch TV) We can be sure that this agenda will be used yet again to tighten the shackles around our ankles still further. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

I got curious and wondered how much of Maui was not burned…..

And I found this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/08/10/hawaii-wildfire-maps/

While the news showed us total destruction, the fact is that the biggest part of the island is unburned.

It seems that if neighbours are good neighbours, those displaced might be accommodated without leaving the island. Perhaps more importantly, accommodated without depending on government or it’s agents.

I’m sure there will be plenty of farmers who could use some help with harvesting, fencing or building/maintaining fire breaks……..

As soon as folks get busy, they start to feel better and make progress. If all the guitars and ukuleles were not burned, there will be music.

I do no mean to minimize this. It is big. I jut hope that something bigger can come out of it.

After good wishes and prayers, the biggest thing we can send is encouragement.

For those who have family or friends there, I hope you send plenty of it.

• Tom Fones

13/08/2023 at 16:00

Isn’t it mainly business and residential Lahaina that got hit so hard.

Just asking. It looks tragic.

• Ian Boggs

13/08/2023 at 16:31

Yes; it’s kinda the CBD that got hit the worst according to the maps. There’s still plenty of greenery not so far away.

So, my question would be, What is the media doing suggesting that the whole island is black and blaming it on climate change?

Again; not to diminish the losses, personal and property, is it not interesting to examine the story as told versus the bigger picture?

Another thing that jumped out at me; in the ‘before’ satelite shot, the harbour was full. In the’after’ shot, almost empty. Did all the missing boats burn and sink or were they taken to sea and saved?

If there are boats, there will be fish for the taking, nes par?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Ian Boggs. Reason: Fix typo
    • Nima Rosepiper

13/08/2023 at 21:27

I find your comment confusing in places. I’m answering, and I’m not sure why.

1. What do you mean “it’s kinda the CBD that got hit the worst”?

2. I lived on Maui for 10 years. I have friends living there. I’ve been following the coverage online. Nowhere have I seen reports that it was the whole island. There are 3 areas of fires. Lahaina by far the worst. Dry windy conditions, with non-native grasses. The fire just exploded. Nearly all of Lahaina is flattened like a bomb hit it.

3. No. The boats didn’t leave the marina. They burned. Fish? Yes. And you need boats, equipment, people. You need fish markets. The boats burned. Many of the people are dead/missing.

4. Not blaming it on climate change; it’s and important piece of explaining how and why this happened. And, hurricanes are more powerful. While Lahaina was on the dry west, leeward, side of the island, it has been hotter and drier than in the past.

5. Not the whole island. But tourism is THE economic engine in the islands. Lahaina was the biggest draw on Maui. Emergency services are dealing with thousands of visitors to evacuate AND thousands of displaced residents with no food, clothing, shelter.

6. I don’t know what you mean by “story as told versus big picture”. And you are diminishing people’s experience. Because I can compare them to reports from residents of Maui, I can tell you that every report I’ve seen is fair and accurate.

I’m not sure what comments or replies I expected. I didn’t expect this.

• Nima Rosepiper

13/08/2023 at 21:34

You just described Lahaina: businesses and residences. Look at the before and afters. All of the waterfront (which was Lahaina) is completely gone.

Why are you and Ian Boggs diminishing what happened?

• Nima Rosepiper

13/08/2023 at 21:40

Ian and Tom:

It is upsetting to have to defend and explain all this here. MLT Club is not the place.

Yes. Most of the island is untouched. Much of the island is undeveloped volcanoes. As I said, most if Maui’s economy was in Lahaina. Trust me. People are and will step up. But it’s not as easy as you make it sound.

• Tom Fones

14/08/2023 at 03:42

Nima,

i meant no offense. I feel for you and your friends in Maui.

I understand that in the business, residential and tourism sense Lahaina is

most of the island. I wish everyone a healthy recovery.

Cheers to all.

• Nima Rosepiper

14/08/2023 at 13:59

Thank you, Tom.

• Ian Boggs

14/08/2023 at 11:36

Dear Nima,

I likewise meant no offense nor to minimise and said as much. There is nothing to defend.

My grumble is with the news reporting.

I should add that I did not read local news outlets; only those that appeared at the top of my search (Guardian etc)

You have answered my question regarding boats. Much appreciated. This was not mentioned in any of the reports I read nor did I see any photos/video of this.

I’ll repeat my hopes for a strong community.

If you would like my comments deleted, I would be more than happy to do it.

Ian

• Nima Rosepiper

14/08/2023 at 14:00

Thank you,Ian.

• Thomas Randall

14/08/2023 at 23:01

Very horrible situation all around. Mick Fleetwood is stepping up to help I saw today. He had a restaurant there as well. I’m sure he’ll pour a lot money and people in to help. Terrible, terrible thing…

• Nima Rosepiper

14/08/2023 at 23:28

I knew he had a restaurant on Front St. that’s now destroyed. I hope he does donate money and time. And, I just heard today from a friend who was completely cut off — travel, phone, electric, internet — until yesterday by the Upcountry fire. They didn’t even know about Lahaina. Thanks for caring.

• Jacki Hopper

15/08/2023 at 18:49

I just continue to get get teary eyed everytime on the local TV news whenever they show updates on Lahaina, and my ongoing prayers for all whom have been affected/impacted by this …. I have Faith , that there will be restoration once more, may take some time but with a strong community heart, etc…. I believe Lahaina will rise from the Devastation, Renewed , Rejuvenated, As it’s the Community Strength/Heart of People / etc that Will Create The Rebuild of Lahaina … 🫶🤘🏻☮️

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Jacki Hopper.
  • Dave Johnston

15/08/2023 at 21:11

My best wishes for all in Maui. It is tragic and impossible to imagine what it was like for those that where caught up it and what the road to recovery will look like.

I’d also like to remind folks that most of us are members of this Club because it is upbeat 99% of the time and doesn’t get engaged in political opinion. That’s for Twitter and the like. Peace!!

• Nima Rosepiper

15/08/2023 at 21:20

I agree 100%. I did not imagine the post would go this way. I just posted to share I was using MLT’s music for comfort. I emailed Mona, Lisa, and Michaela about it. I don’t know if it should come down, and I don’t know how to do it.

• Dave Johnston

15/08/2023 at 22:48

I don’t think it needs to come down . I think your reply was very cogent and helpful.

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    17/08/2023 at 14:15

Dear Club members, to all who were wondering about our viewpoint on this post and comments related to the Forum guidelines, and whether it should be taken down or not: We think a potentially heated debate was handled very respectfully by all. Naturally there are different viewpoints on social and political topics, that’s why we usually ask to avoid such subjects. But the original poster did not mean to stir up a debate, and we think we can all agree that comparing news reports with personal experiences and local family/friends is always a good idea.

• Jacki Hopper

18/08/2023 at 19:53

Thankyou for your reply , agreed with all said 💯🕊☮💜💛❤

• Ian Boggs

18/08/2023 at 15:19

Nima; Thank you for this post. It has gotten me thinking. More on that later……

MLT Team; Thank you for handling a potentially tricky situation so well. Kudos to you all.

This could have gotten out of hand but thankfully, it didn’t.

I didn’t intend to be political with my comment.

Some may have figured that my position was political.

Some may have figured that I am anti political.

In fact, I am an equal opportunity despiser of all things political. Totally disgruntled with all things left and right. That is a political statement in and of itself. Make of it what you will.

I regard my own position as a-political in precisely the same way that, “I bought Myself A Politician”, is a-political. It was that song that brought me to MLT in the first place.

I am looking for solutions; ways in which the job might be gotten done.

The media if full of doom, doom, gloom, gloom, knee jerk reactions, pandemic and climate change. And more knee jerk reactions. “Do as your are told or die and/or kill grandma”.

But where is the positive? Where are the solutions that work now??? Where is the “who and how many need what”,?

And who has it?

And how to get it to where it needs to be?

Beyond encouragement, I don’t have a whole lot to offer the people of Maui. The small amount of money I have would be swallowed up in seconds by the NGO’s.

Okay…..; So what about the situation here?

I’ve been living in the Australian (Victorian) bush for thirteen years. I am no stranger to floods nor fires having experienced both. For the most part, earthquakes are not a thing here.

My little cottage is built on a ridge. That part of my fourteen acres (5.65 Ha) that is valley may flood and has done so more than once but my house is safe. No problem. Been there; done that.

But fire is a different issue altogether.

In these thirteen years, I have lost count of the times fires came within ten miles (16Km) of my humble abode.

Just once, a fire came to the property across the road from mine. Pretty scary, for sure.

But the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and it’s people (Yes; just ordinary people) had it under control within a coupe of hours and out altogether within a day. Wheeeewwwww! They gave me some advice re: things to do, which I did………..

So……, I figured out a fire plan and it goes like this:

Backpack in car. A 100 liter backpack with sleeping bag, tent, petrol stove, pots, fire lighting stuff, basic fishing stuff, basic bow hunting stuff, clothes for all or most seasons, some non perishable food and a bit of room for other peoples’ stuff. This is a permanently packed and ready to go thing.

More non perishable food for people and dogs in car. Whatever I can lay my hands on.

Acoustic musical instruments in car. This is important. I can do music in my head or just sing it. But music and humour are survival tools for a whole community. Two acoustic guitars and an acoustic bass is a start for sure. I like to play bass. The guitars are for others to play. As for my electric instruments, PA, guitar and bass amps; I have a car, not a truck and there is only me to load it. They can all burn.

A small package of important documents. Family life is something I would rather forget so photos are not a priority. Aren’t I the lucky one!?

A cooler box placed beside the frreigerator so I can grab as much as the cooler box will hold at the last minute…….

Key in the car’s ignition key hole!

Open the inspection covers in the pipes that connect my house and shed roofs with my water tanks so that ash/soot/creosote/radioactive dust don’t contaminate my drinking water.

Now, I’m ready to go should I have to.

If, I have to…….. shoehorn dogs and cat in car and beat it.

So far, I have been in this state of readiness three times.

As a refugee, I have a plan I I am prepped to carry it out.

But what if I still have my place and my neighbours are burned or flooded out???????

I have multiple hundreds of kilos of non perishable food. I have a tiny garden. I have beds for two others if they are a couple, or two kids. One or two or three more could be improvised indoors.

If others can bring their own car or tent or caravan, we could do a few more.

I have catered for eight and ten during Christmas/New Year holidays in the past and could do so again. I have firewood falling off the trees faster than I can burn it and a stash of LPG for my gas stove.

But what if there are more than ten or so……?

My wood burning heater needs to go in favour of the wood burning stove I already have but have not installed.

I have seven sleeping bags. One for me and six to lend or give away.

I have two tents suitable for two people and a bit of stuff.

I could do plenty more. I have work to do. Seriously! There is much more I could do.

If I am the refugee, I have skills to offer those who give me refuge. I have it covered but that’s a bit selfish if I am not the refugee; if I am the provider.

I could do more. My garden needs to be bigger and more productive. I am a terrible gardener. A like minded but proficient gardener, female and of the opposite sex to marry would be ideal but failing that, a gardening housemate, male or female, would suffice. Things just might get done…… (?)

So, people, what is your situation? Urban? Suburban? Rural?

What are the biggest dangers in your region? ( Include WW3 and potential loss of electricity and water supplies)……?

If you are the refugee, do you have a plan? How prepped are you to carry it out?

If you are the provider for refugees, do you have a plan? How prepped are you to carry it out?

Please bear this in mind: Prepping is not about doom and gloom or about being superheros; it is about making do (or doing well) when things are bad. Perhaps more importantly and especially if we are generous, it is about helping neighbours do the same.

What say you?

• Ian Boggs

20/08/2023 at 06:37

A little hope right here:

https://twitter.com/Sachinettiyil/status/1690206844005048320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1690206844005048320%7Ctwgr%5Eee4f8470f40f1c2623e78966f5344dc0d96400ed%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbclosangeles.com%2Fnews%2Fnational-international%2Fits-like-a-miracle-historic-catholic-church-unscathed-by-maui-fire-that-burned-lahaina%2F3208689%2F

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!