MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Please Mr Postman

Tagged: 

• Please Mr Postman

Posted by Howard on 15/06/2020 at 23:44

I know you’ve been asked many times for a cover of the Beatles’ “Please Mr Postman”. However, I understand that you have played it live and so I was wondering if it is likely to be included in your current last Cavern Club performance videos being released to the Club. If not, I think this song, although not a Beatles original, is ripe for the full MLT band studio recording and video. It would be awesome!

Jacki Hopper replied 4 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    15/06/2020 at 23:44

Hi Howard!

“I was wondering if it is likely to be included in your current last Cavern Club performance videos being released to the Club.” – YEP! We only have 4 more songs to go before we reach “Mr Postman” which means it will definitely be up in the Club this year 🙂

It was a pretty recent addition to our setlist towards the end of our residency which made it extra exciting to perform.

So … a little patience please, we’ll get to it 😛

Have a great day!

• Jung Roe

16/06/2020 at 05:40

Wow, I’m still having a “did the Beatles do that one too” moment.  The Carpenters immortalized this song for me growing up, and always thought it was there’s, but now I learn it was the Beatles.  Can’t wait for the MLT version to blow my mind.

• David Herrick

16/06/2020 at 06:00

Jung, it was originally recorded by the Marvelettes, reaching #1 on the U.S. charts in 1961.

• Jung Roe

16/06/2020 at 06:33

David, interesting!  I just listened to all 3 versions, Marvelettes, Carpenters, and Beatles.  Have to give it to the Beatles with the richer harmonies.  Carpenters close second with Karen’s vocals, but just lacks the harmonies of John, Paul, George and Ringo.  I never really cared for Richard Carpenters vocals.  Now will love to hear the MLTs version when it comes out.

• David Herrick

16/06/2020 at 07:00

I have to say I prefer the original version, partly because that’s the first one I ever heard, but mostly because I’ve always loved the “girl group” sound of the late 50’s and early 60’s.  Maybe MLT will hearken back to that.

• Jung Roe

16/06/2020 at 07:49

All 3 versions are very good, and in the end will be individual preference.  Both the Beatles and Marvelettes have their harmonies which give it depth, but with the Carpenters, Karen’s beautiful vocals by itself is formidable.  Now MLT have both harmonies and beautiful vocals covered, so I think we are going to be in for a treat.

• David Herrick

16/06/2020 at 08:15

Other than Judith Durham of the Seekers, I can’t think of any female vocalist that I enjoy more than Karen Carpenter.  The first time I heard “Still a Friend of Mine”, I thought it would have been perfect for her.

• Howard

16/06/2020 at 09:00

So nice to know Lisa and just one of the many gems that have been popping up from this show that I look forward to watching in full one day.

And yes David, “Please Mr. Postman”, a song written by Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, and Robert Bateman, was first recorded by the Marvelettes and was notable as the first Motown song to reach the number-one position on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart. The Beatles version appeared on their second UK album, “With The Beatles”, released in late 1963.

For me, the Beatles version has always been the best, and I’m not sure if it’s just because I heard their version first. There would not be many songs the Beatles have covered that I think others have covered better.

I can’t even imagine anyone else doing justice to this Beatles version, with the possible exception of The MLT, just as they did with their live version of “You’re Going to Lose That Girl”. I can’t wait.

• Thomas Randall

23/07/2020 at 15:42

[postquote quote=95111][/postquote]

I totally agree! Karen Carpenter to me is the greatest female vocalist of all time. Talk about RANGE! I had such a crush on her growing up and was devastated when she died. And there are a number of amazing female singers! Dusty Springfield, Judith Durham, Linda Ronstadt, Pat Benatar for examples. I’m a rock & roll guy but LOVE her voice so much.

• Jacki Hopper

23/07/2020 at 19:28

Well Thomas, I respectfully disagree… There are 3 female vocalists are equally to me as one of the all best (MLT is a given) , Cass Elliott, Patsy Cline, Karen Carpenter, I do like Marla Gibbs, Amy Winehouse, a few others, top contenders as well… Billie Holiday, some other jazz lady greats…. Anne Murray… etc??

• David Herrick

23/07/2020 at 19:45

Jacki, are you talking about the same Marla Gibbs who played Florence, the maid on The Jeffersons?

• Jacki Hopper

23/07/2020 at 19:50

Yes David I am… I had no idea she did an album some yrs back, I downloaded her album on Spotify… She did sing on Jeffersons/227 but I had no idea she was an actual accomplished singer

• David Herrick

23/07/2020 at 20:15

Well, Jacki, as you like to say, that’s my new thing learned for today.  I never would have guessed.

Funny, as a kid I always assumed she was the one humming the closing theme for the show.  It turns out it was Ja’Net DuBois from Good Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJe0q7og6ek

• Jacki Hopper

23/07/2020 at 20:21

To add to this David… I realized later on down the line that Ja’net Dubois was Jeffersons Theme song singer and Mike Evans who played original Lionel on All in Family/Jeffersons before he went away from Jeffersons for a spell then came back, actually wrote for/ on Good Times… Marla Gibbs sang her 227 show theme song and Roxie Roker from Jeffersons was Lenny Kravitz’s Mom…

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!