MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Practice For Multi-Instrumentalists

• Practice For Multi-Instrumentalists

Posted by Robert Blume on 21/11/2018 at 00:27

Hi Mona & Lisa,

How often do you practice? Being on hiatus from live performance, this would seem especially important to stay sharp.

Obviously your guitar work is going to take precedence. And with Mona, we should add the drums too….as there is a drum track on almost every recording. Can tell us a little about your respective practice regimens?

Additionally, you are both multi-instrumentalists. How much attention do you give these secondary instruments?

Speaking of which….

For me (and probably others) the Easter Egg inside ‘I’ll Follow the Sun’ was Mona the flautist. I loved the whole performance. But that little solo really made me smile. It’s such a tough instrument to play well. I hope you stay with it and that we get a Jethro Tull cover sometime in the future.

Seattle Bob

Michael Rife replied 5 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Howard

21/11/2018 at 04:41

Just a moment there Seattle Bob! Before we get to Jethro Tull, I’ve already requested ‘Ruby Tuesday’ from the Stones. Now Brian Jones may have played a recorder for that number but I think a flute would also be suitable. If not that, then Crispian St Peters’ ‘The Pied Piper’ would be a bonus!

• Michael Rife

21/11/2018 at 07:38

Great question…….well selfishly for me too.  I play guitar, mandolin and drums.  And I struggle to practice the three as much as I would like because of……well, life.

• Robert Blume

21/11/2018 at 21:29

Howard – I was thinking ‘Living in the Past’. I can picture Mona rocking out on that one. But if you were line first with your requests, I’ll just patiently wait my turn. Michael, you mention the mandolin. We haven’t heard this in the instrumental mix yet. Since Mona will be busy with the flute, that sounds like a Lisa project to me. She has a knack for all things strings.

Seattle Bob

• Howard

22/11/2018 at 03:15

Yes, ‘Living in the Past’ would be a nice option for Mona, but not sure if she could get up to speed considering the other instruments she has to keep up the practice with.

• Jung Roe

22/11/2018 at 03:40

Hey Seattle Bob and Michael.  You might want to go on over to the “BBC Radio Merseyside – Liverpool Plays Pepper radio broadcast here at the MLT Club, and listen to “She’s Leaving Home”, where Lisa plays the Mandolin!  I have to say, it is just wonderful.  Mona and Lisa never ceases to impress!!!

That would be another live performance video I would love to see one day.

• Robert Blume

22/11/2018 at 16:16

Hi Jung,

Lisa is already on it? I guess I shouldn’t really be surprised. Yes, impressive. M&L both seem to be voracious learners. Could the sitar be next? Thanks for the tip.

Seattle Bob

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    26/11/2018 at 01:05

Hi Bob!
    If we’re talking about the last few weeks, with everything going on, unfortunately “technical” practice time had to take a backseat. That doesn’t mean that we’re not creating or playing music most days because we tend to always be working on some recordings.

But when it comes to a more systematic and technical practicing routine, we seem to go through phases depending on what is going on in our lives and what needs to be prioritised at the time. We try to squeeze in our daily vocal and guitar exercises as often as we can.

When we’re working on a bigger project or more challenging record, we focus more on practising the stuff that we’re working on at the time. Also, when we plan on recording different “unusual” instruments we normally practise song-specifically for that instead of trying to master the instrument from scratch. That certainly would be great and a lot of fun, but we normally lack the time.

So I’m far from becoming a flute expert in any shape or form but if we plan on recording another song with a flute part in it you can trust me to practise the hell out of that part until it sounds convincing 😛

I’d love to become a pro flutist one day but not until I’ve mastered the drums and guitar. A girl gotta prioritise 😉

So it’s all the big ole’ balancing and time management act, and our practicing time ranges from many hours a day to weeks without touching my drumset at all.

• Timothy Connelly

26/11/2018 at 02:55

Mona,
    You’ve already mastered the drums and guitar! You are an amazing musician and your ability to play acoustic and electric guitar, blues harp, flute and whatever you need for the song is amazing! Reminds me of this guy named Lennon- he got some tips from Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues on how to play the Mellotron and out of that, the sound for Strawberry Fields Forever was born. He got some tips from Donovan and out of that the finger picking style he used on Julia was born. Even earlier, he learned how to play guitar by taking his left handed instructor’s lessons (some forgotten guy who years later would form a band called Wings) and transposing them in a mirror. The way you work is perfect!

• Robert Blume

26/11/2018 at 14:28

Mona,

Thank you for the insight. This makes perfect sense to me. I think what you do could be termed ‘practical’ practice. Seriously, if you and Lisa played no instruments at all, I would still be a huge fan. Your voices are your primary ‘instruments’…as so amply demonstrated in the track you released today ‘Little Drummer Boy’.

Seattle Bob

• Michael Rife

26/11/2018 at 15:56

Yeah..….when it comes to practice for me, it’s the old saying “catch as catch can”….which means if there is open space to do something, pick up the instrument and do something…anything.  Mike

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!