MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Q&A with Sesame Street resident Grover Fifty years on

Tagged: 

• David Herrick

25/07/2020 at 18:10

Thank you for finding and sharing that, Howard!  Grover has always been my favorite monster on the Street.

• Jacki Hopper

26/07/2020 at 19:41

A fun read Howard, thanks for sharing, I did grow up watching Sesame Street til I was around 10ish…lol…. I loved all characters in my day of watching, especially the purple  elephant Snuffy….lol

• David Herrick

26/07/2020 at 20:35

I don’t know what sort of color filters the CBC employed, Jacki, but in the U.S. Snuffy was brown!

• Jacki Hopper

26/07/2020 at 20:43

Thanks David, for the correction, my bad, I feel stupid/ embarassed now, I had purple on my brain…lol…Yes, Snuffy was brown, I do remember… feeling really dumb now….lol …I had it in my head Snuffy was purple ….some  tv or book creature from my childhood had to have been purple somewheres…if not Snuffy, something else…lol

• David Herrick

26/07/2020 at 21:00

No big deal, Jacki, especially if you haven’t seen the show since you were a kid.  I got back into it when I was in college, and then later got to see some early episodes on a cable channel called Noggin.  I had forgotten that Oscar was orange in the first season, and that Snuffy was originally the stuff of nightmares:

As far as purple characters, I remember a story arc on Mr. Rogers where Purple Panda came down from the planet Purple and turned the entire neighborhood of make-believe purple.  Could that be what you had in mind?

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 01:56

This has got to be my favorite Sesame Street Character.  “C” for cookie, that is good enough for me…

https://youtu.be/Ye8mB6VsUHw

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 02:15

Cookie Monster is a close second on my monster roster.  I give Grover the edge, though, because his humor is a little more subtle, whereas Cookie Monster is more in-your-face.  But you’ve got to love the pure gluttony!

People forget that the monsters on Sesame Street weren’t all cute and cuddly at first.  This sketch from the first season terrified me at the time, although I can laugh at it now.  The song dates from 1935.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zq9APDeZM

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 06:56

David, yes Lulu is quite the big overbearing monster character and can see how it can terrify kids.  I have to say going back through some of the Sesame street characters, Sesame Street  was indeed brilliant.  Grover, Kermit, Elmo, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Miss Piggy etc all were made into such lovable and funny characters each great and favorites for many in their own right.  And so many hilarious moments like that Cookie Monster one that just cracked me up.

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 07:20

Yes, that show succeeded on so many levels.  The pandemonium of the Muppets was counterbalanced by introspective pieces about the importance of using your imagination, and catchy animated segments dealing with recognition of letters and numbers.

And perhaps most impressively, the writers threw in a lot of jokes that they knew would go over children’s heads, as a way of thanking parents for watching the show with their kids.

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 07:42

David, what a brilliant idea to throw in humor that would entertain the adults too!

I have to add a couple of more Sesame Street Characters I always liked I just remembered.  Right up there along with the Cookie Monster for me are Oscar the Grouch (who lives in the garbage can), and Count von Count (the vampire)!  🙂

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 08:19

Those are top-notch choices, Jung.  The great thing about the Muppets is that each one had a really strong unique personality.

This one is rather obscure, and was only used a few times in the same type of sketch, but I find him (and the premise) hysterical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M30g3In8ao

• Jacki Hopper

27/07/2020 at 08:30

Yes, 3:30 AM, I’m still frikkin awake, cannot sleep but am going to try now but after  I reply….

I enjoyed The Muppet show, and its  zany lineup of character puppets, Rolph the piano dog, the old guys in balcony, the Eagle, the groovy hippy dude and his girlfriend, etc….yes you’re  right, like as in Bugs Bunny, stuff for both kids and adults….. Fraggle Rock same  thing, there was another show that had featured Krofft puppets, thatbhad same kind of kid/adult appeal….I’m enjoying ghisvtrip down childhood memory tv lane…there’s slot of commonalities  between us in our tv show preferences…lol, okay, Good MorningNight???

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 08:37

Jacki, being 3 hours behind you where I am, night is still young in a sense.  Glad you mentioned the 2 old guys in the balcony.  They were hilarious too!  Good night!  🙂

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 08:46

Good one there David.  What a hilarious progression in lyric song writing.  It never dawned on me how much those Sesame Street muppet characters really had an impact on me growing up.

• Howard

27/07/2020 at 15:20

David, some people wear rose coloured glasses but our Jacki wears purple coloured glasses.

Even though I was in my late teens when Sesame Street began, I still enjoyed watching it. Great humour at any age as you suggest and great watching it with rug rats! Very educational for youngsters and delivered in a very entertaining way.

Page 1 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!