MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Q&A with Sesame Street resident Grover Fifty years on

Tagged: 

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 17:15

I’m sure everyone here will appreciate this group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVd9F1fW00

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 17:17
  • Jacki Hopper

27/07/2020 at 17:45

Lol… David and Howard… Yes, Howard is correct, Life is seen through my Purple Coloured Glasses??????

• Jung Roe

27/07/2020 at 19:07

David, those videos are great!  Thanks for the laugh this morning.

• David Herrick

27/07/2020 at 19:45

This one’s for you, Jacki, based on what you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6vw4DoU_b8

I loved The Muppet Show too.  Absolutely zany entertainment for all ages.  And the quality of Jim Henson’s work on Sesame Street didn’t suffer a bit, so full of imaginative ideas was he.  But I’ll bet he was happy to have an outlet where he didn’t have to worry about people pressuring him to include educational content in his sketches.

• Matt Hay

29/07/2020 at 18:10

Surprised this didn’t get a mention 😀

https://youtu.be/8N_tupPBtWQ

• David Herrick

29/07/2020 at 18:40

Ah, of course.  A classic!  Thanks for posting it, Matt.

This is the Muppet Show version, but the original dates from the first season of Sesame Street.  When I was five years old I put on a little play while my grandparents were visiting, and I wanted my grandpa to sing this song with me.  I even wrote out the “words” for him, but grew frustrated that he seemingly didn’t even KNOW the song!  How could that have been possible?

• Matt Hay

29/07/2020 at 22:24

Ahh, yes – it was the middle of the night, so I had the sound turned off. I hope it sounds like the original 😀

I grew up with Sesame Street too. My mum recalled that I learnt the alphabet from it, though pronounced ‘Z’ as the American ‘zee’, rather than the Anglo ‘zed’ until kindergarten.

Thanks for bringing back some memories, Howard – and all other contributors to the thread 🙂

• Matt Hay

29/07/2020 at 22:31

Also David – that story of you as a five y o is so cute 😀

• David Herrick

29/07/2020 at 22:50

Thanks, Matt.  I was a slave to my passions, I guess.

The original version of the song is pretty similar to this one, so much so that I didn’t feel the need to post it.  The Muppets were “human”, and the accompaniment was “bah-dee, bah-dee-bee” rather than “doo-doo, doo-doo-doo”.

We had a big discussion of “zee” vs. “zed” a few months ago in a thread titled “Brown Eyed Girls”, if you want to check that out.

• Matt Hay

29/07/2020 at 22:55

Everybody’s gotta find their own groove …

https://youtu.be/z_trSIBCgF0

• David Herrick

29/07/2020 at 23:15

Yes, the Martians!  One of my favorite recurring sketches, and the very beginning of my interest in space exploration.

The most memorable one for me was the one where they kept consulting the bookbookbookbookbook to try to identify a telephone.

• Jacki Hopper

29/07/2020 at 23:26

Are we referring to the martians that kept saying….Yeeeeeeeepppppppp…lol…they were one of my fave ongoing ones I enjoyed watching….

• David Herrick

29/07/2020 at 23:40

Indeed we are, Jacki.  Yyyip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip.  Uh-huh.  Uh-huh.

• David Herrick

30/07/2020 at 22:55

[postquote quote=99235][/postquote]
    Gaaah!  Not Barney!  I watched that show with my daughter when she was very young.  Cloying and saccharine, and not the least bit clever or amusing.  The very antithesis of Sesame Street.  But plenty of purple, yes.

Page 2 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!