MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Q&A with Sesame Street resident Grover Fifty years on

Tagged: 

• David Herrick

31/07/2020 at 02:00

This film and song always makes me kind of weepy.  You just no longer see kids being encouraged to explore their natural curiosity, even in a safe environment like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig40HFmPsZ8

• Jung Roe

31/07/2020 at 05:11

That’s so touching David.  I think it’s so important for the Zoos to exist so kids can have first hand experience and appreciation for our great animals.

• Jacki Hopper

31/07/2020 at 16:38

My only zoo experience was a sad one….we had went to a  zoo that apparently my parents on their own or  with my 2 older brothers before I came into being that was about  an hour or two away…to arrive only to find the horrible  state it was in, neglect of what animals were there  were experiencing, etc, my parents had recalled when it was not like that when they had  last visited…so my Mom, I think, along with the family  friend and her daughter  who had come along on this with us, decided to write a letter,  or do some kind of awareness of it, and needless to say, it was shutdown thereafter…. what became of the remaining  animals, no idea….   Perhaps Toronto Zoo, would offer a better experience , until my animal allergies would conveniently  show up…lol…

• David Herrick

01/08/2020 at 06:30

This is probably the cutest incident ever to air on Sesame Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII

• Jung Roe

01/08/2020 at 17:16

What a cute moment David.  There’s nothing so cute as a childs laughter.  Love her fondness for the Cookie Monster.

• Jung Roe

01/08/2020 at 17:29

Cookie Monster on Jimmy Kimmel show.

https://youtu.be/jJWdtVaa3tw

• David Herrick

01/08/2020 at 18:45

That’s hilarious, Jung!  It seems that Cookie Monster has in recent years become Sesame Street’s prime ambassador to the outside world, and I don’t think they could have made a better choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWRbFLYXUGE

He apparently had some surprising fans too.  This passage from beatlesbible.com details the recording of John Lennon’s 1970 song “Hold On”:

The final version, take 32, had Lennon singing and playing guitar simultaneously, and the ad-libbed ‘cookie’, a reference to the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. He subsequently double-tracked his vocals, adding a second ‘cookie’.

Sesame Street was first broadcast on 10 November 1969 in the US, and Lennon presumably watched it while undergoing Primal Therapy; his regression to childhood may have helped him make a connection with the show.

Ringo Starr’s song Early 1970, the b-side to the April 1971 single It Don’t Come Easy, also contained a cry of ‘cookie’, during a verse about Lennon and Yoko Ono.

• Howard

02/08/2020 at 05:46

Thanks for sharing those videos Jung and David. Yes, it seems that the Cookie Monster is a great ambassador for Sesame Street and can teach us all a little bit about self control. If the Cookie Monster can do it, we all should be able to do it.

However, I hope no one ever raises with the Cookie Monster the phrase, “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”, not that I think he would ever associate a bird with a cookie!

• Matt Hay

02/08/2020 at 06:34

Me love Cookie!!!

• Jacki Hopper

02/08/2020 at 07:00

I came across this reunion of sorts, awhile ago, this Sesame Street topic thread on here, reminded me of the link, that I’m sharing…I vividly recall the original of wee John John:

https://youtu.be/NuYPj29z6Ko

• David Herrick

02/08/2020 at 07:15

I was just thinking about this segment earlier today, Jacki.  (It’s forever paired in my mind with the Kermit and Joey bit.)  If I recall correctly, the grown-up John John footage is from the 20th anniversary special in 1989.

• David Herrick

04/08/2020 at 02:20

Speaking of TV puppets, do any of my fellow 70’s kids remember a trippy syndicated program out of Detroit called The Hot Fudge Show?  I didn’t think it was that great, but it was the first show out of the gate at 7 AM on Saturday morning, and therefore my excuse to get out of bed.  Notably, one of the puppets was named Mona:

• Jung Roe

04/08/2020 at 02:33

They got the hair color right for Mona, but I dont recall that show in Canada in the 70s David.

• Jacki Hopper

04/08/2020 at 02:46

Like Jung, I don’t  recall that show either in Canada on tv, but if itv was on cable, we didn’t get cable until I was in my teens, and even by that time, I’m not recalling any familiarity with that Hot Fudge show…

• David Herrick

16/08/2020 at 21:05

Last night I dreamed that MLT had signed a licensing agreement with Sesame Street, and I was thumbing through a children’s book in which Mona and Elmo were walking through the desert in spacesuits, pretending that they were exploring the surface of Mars.

What has this club done to my brain?

Page 3 of 4

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!