• ricky

Posted by Rick Ross on 27/04/2021 at 14:15

Hello Ladies,
    In your astounding CD Cavern Club’ Live I’ve noticed wHt looks like the Plate over one of the switches that Mona has spoke of before. Mona has mentioned before, that she and Papa Rudi had made a plate to go over one of the switches so that Mona would stop turning the switch off.
    I’m wondering if this is the panel you all made? What is it made out of? What does the switch do? And is there a chance we could see up close what it looks like?
    I have noticed that the same plate is on the Red Ricky.
    Thanks so much for your time ladies.
    All the best to all of you
    Rick Ross

Thomas Randall replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    27/04/2021 at 15:33

Hi Rick,

I think you are talking about what’s in the photo.

This is a pick up switch – nearly all electric guitars have one, and what they do is they quickly switch the pickups on a guitar on and off. My Ricky has three positions: Top position = bridge pickup, Middle position = both pickups, Bottom position = neck pickup.

The pickups are the transducers underneath the guitar strings that pick up the sound of a guitar (with magnets and coils) which can then get amplified and recorded. 🙂 They sound different depending on where they are positioned on the guitar which is why there is a switch to control them, to change the tone of your guitar.

With the way I play I would often flick my pickup switch by accident when I touch it with my right hand. Usually that’s not a big problem – you just flick it back – but when we were recording the final set we wanted to make sure that it didn’t happen by mistake because it would be noticeable on the recording.

So dad took a thin black carbon plate and screwed two holes into it, one for the switch and one was fixed on the screw that holds the pickguard. It’s a bit hard to explain but hopefully it’s easier to see in the photo. It basically prevents me from flicking the switch so that it would always be in the middle position. I can still change the sound by using the knobs but I usually only move those when I actually mean to 😉

My red Ricky does not have that carbon plate installed so it might be that I just explained something completely irrelevant to you and you actually meant to ask about something else but please just let me know haha.

Have a groovy day,
    Mona

• Rick Ross

30/04/2021 at 23:28

Hi Mona,
    That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I actually thought it was the white plate. (I thought this had been made bigger, to cover the switch) Your answer is spot on and actually makes since. It even looks better than I would have even thought. Great job and Idea!
    Thanks Again Mona.

• Thomas Randall

02/05/2021 at 00:42

I can see Mona hitting that switch, she gets pretty animated as you know during their live shows! Papa Rudi to the rescue!

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!