• Howard

06/04/2020 at 16:00

Now that’s a tough one Jacki, as like with all their music, the favourite can change from day to day. However, to kick things off, I’ll go with probably my all time favourite, “Count On Me” from the Orange album with Lisa’s lyrics –

“Sometimes I throw a stone into the darkness
    Just to see what sound it makes
    I listen closely when it hits the surface
    It says a little trust is all it takes”

And what I believe is Papa Rudi’s chorus response of:

“No matter how many turns a river makes
    It will always meet the sea
    No matter how many times a promise breaks
    You can always count on me
    As time will go by you’ll see
    You can always count on me”

But of course, the rest of the lyrics in this beautiful song are just as good. Give it another listen, you’ll see what I mean.

• David Herrick

06/04/2020 at 21:10

Well, the “why” part is because they are great stand-alone ponderables, apart from any musical context.

As for the “what”, here’s my set of choice lyrics:

I am searching for a song that makes me smile.

I’d never give a dream away.

She looks across the country as if it’s under her command.

Her words come in a language that keeps changing as the days are going by.

Maybe we’re nothing more than footprints in the sand, and soon the flood may come to wash it all away.

Keep dancing to your song. Soon everybody else will dance along.

No matter how many turns a river makes, it will always meet the sea.

A pretty nice girl, with a touch of insanity.

If life has meaning, it’s a meaning that’s too mean to figure out.

You better not miss what it takes to make your life sunny.

We need the stubborn little child that keeps the naked emperors from running wild.

Time wasn’t something to be measured with clocks.

• Jung Roe

06/04/2020 at 21:52

There are so many MLT songs and lyrics I love. I mentioned “The Wide, Wide, Land” already and reasons why I love that song and lyrics so much, so I will mention another favorite that really stand out for me, and that is “Close To You”. A song I recall Lisa said she wrote a long time ago:

Now You tell me there’s somebody else
    in your life that is close to you

And I desperately try to find something that I could reply
    I could cry but there’s one thing that I have to
    keep telling myself to get by

Nothing ever lasts forever, my oh my

The lyrics in this song are so inspired and evoke much emotion.
    “I could cry but there’s one thing that I have to keep telling myself to get by, nothing ever last forever, my oh my” for example are sentiments that have a special relevance for me.
    It’s hard not to be moved every time I listen to this song.

• Jacki Hopper

06/04/2020 at 23:37

I’m enjoying your replies, and pretty much echo the same lyric choices as you’ve all given…. Thankyou for the replies, I enjoy seeing what others have to offer for their choices/reasons?

• Howard

07/04/2020 at 09:12

Excellent selection there David. You are showing quite an in depth knowledge of MLT songs. ‘Close to You’ is a beautiful song too, Jung, with great lyrics.

I forgot to mention my ’why’ regarding my first pick of  “Count On Me”, which I understand was written (commenced), by candlelight during a blackout. I believe Lisa was feeling a little vulnerable and insecure in the darkness and put her feelings into words. At the point where she got stuck with her lyrics, she went to her father for help. Papa Rudi penned the words which became the chorus and gave the song its title.

I thought it was poignant in that it shows a father’s unconditional love for his daughter.

• Michael Thompson

07/04/2020 at 14:27

I love the lyrics in Still a Friend of Mine that say We’re run by maniacs by maniac means. It’s in my personal hall of lyrics fame. The whole song is just wonderful. (although it may just be pearls before swine!) I often wonder if it was about someone in particular that they knew. Also Wide Wide Land always bring a tear to my eye. (when you see her smile You’ll know her as a friend)

• Howard

07/04/2020 at 15:34

Yes Michael, “Still a Friend of Mine” is such a great song.

More of my favourite lyrics are:

Oh, sweet Lorraine
    A pretty nice girl with a touch of insanity She’s not to blame
    Cause love is such a pity
    Love is such a tricky
    Love is such a deadly game

I wonder how the world would be
    If everyone could see what you could see

That’s what you get
    You better not bet that it’s always Coming up roses
    Life, give it a chance
    Get up and dance and romance Before the book closes

There is pleasure after pain There is sunshine after rain

Here I go, I’m on my way I am searching for a song That makes me smile

• Keith Molholm

09/04/2020 at 20:43

When I heard “All I Want Christmas to Be” I truly felt that this song is destined to be a Christmas Classic someday. This song brought back some wonderful Holiday memories for me and I especially enjoyed this:

Time wasn’t something to be measured with clocks
    We’d only go home once wet to our socks
    Somehow soup tasted better with rosy red cheeks
    Those are the memories for keeps

• Jung Roe

09/04/2020 at 23:45

Agree Keith, “All I Want Christmas To Be”, is a brilliantly written song.  Just made me feel that Christmas spirit magic from my childhood so vividly!

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!