• Jürgen

30/10/2021 at 15:29

We have a saying: „Aller guten Dinge sind drei“ (all good things should happen three times ). That’s why here is the third version of „Autumn Leaves“ in this topic. This time a nice jazz interpretation of the song.

https://youtu.be/TWsOERt6Gxw

• Jung Roe

30/10/2021 at 19:13

Hi Jurgen, thanks for the insight into the Hurdy Gurdy. Wow it’s been around since the medieval times! It is a fascinating instrument the way it is made and looks. I’ve heard of Donovan’s Hurdy Gurdy Man, song he wrote after spending time in India doing transcedental meditation with the Beatles, Beach Boys etc…I wonder if the inspiration to the song has to do with the instrument.

Vivid passage there, and wonderful reference to “Dune”.

Some great instrumentation in that jazzy video. I don’t know if it’s just the angle of the camera shot, but what a huge cello the guy is playing. I can envision Lisa on that one. Some great keyboard work too, enjoyed seeing that.

• David Herrick

01/11/2021 at 03:25

Jung, I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that’s a double bass rather than a cello, based on all the Seekers videos I’ve watched.

• Jung Roe

01/11/2021 at 03:41

David, I thought the cello was the largest, but it looks like the double bass is even larger, so you are probably right. That is massive.

• Jürgen

02/11/2021 at 08:44

Hi guys. David is right: this is a double bass (“Kontrabass”). These instruments are really that big. In the 19th century, French orchestras also experimented with an enlarged version of the double bass: the three-sided octobasse. About 3.5 meters high (11 feet). In 2016, the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal became the first orchestra in the world to feature an octobasse in its roster.

https://youtu.be/12X-i9YHzmE

• Jürgen

02/11/2021 at 08:47

The documentation can also be played with English subtitles. This can be done under “Subtitles” and “Settings” (Select “Automatically translate” and then select the language)

https://youtu.be/aciVzaOTxVU

• David Herrick

02/11/2021 at 16:00

And we’re back to the topic of unusual musical instruments! Thanks, Juergen, for that fascinating tour. Acoustic physics pushed to the extreme!

• Tom Fones

03/11/2021 at 15:13

Oktobass: 16 Hz is only one octave below open b on the five string (electric) bass,

and only one octave below the bottom of the piano. A 27.50, B 30.87

• Jung Roe

09/11/2021 at 05:31

Hi Jurgen, I like seeing those strings go at 16 Hz on the Oktobasse. With only 3 made, it is certainly a unique instrument. I wonder how it sounds when played with an orchestra, and I wonder if it appeared in any musical pieces in modern times. Certain animals like whales with a wider audio frequency range I am sure would hear the Okotbasse completely different from humans, perhaps sounding like a cello for them. I imagine the case to transport it in is equally impressive.

• Jürgen

30/10/2021 at 20:57

Before the whole Helloween hustle and bustle starts here, I would like to quickly get rid of two last autumn themes:

Some more colorful foliage and an almost fairy-tale atmosphere.

https://youtu.be/NeV2MEFhvxI

• Jürgen

30/10/2021 at 20:59

An old man with something to say:

https://youtu.be/uMx5UDD1p20

• Jung Roe

31/10/2021 at 09:14

Hi Jurgen, those videos certainly get me in the Autumn mood. That first one is especially beautiful.

Here is some visual Autumn colours from my neck of the woods in Vancouver. After a lot of unsettled and generally wet weather, we had a crisp sunny day and the fall foliage shined bright today. Captured a few shots on a long walk.

• Jürgen

31/10/2021 at 10:09

Thanks Jung. Very nice photos. I think Vancouver is a very beautiful place. I like the course of the river very much. The third photo could also be a park right near me. In general, the whole vegetation looks like ours. Probably you have a very similar climate in Vancouver. I also like to take pictures and I like to film. Crazy enough, mostly only on vacation. I capture the magic of my own landscape far too seldom. A pity, actually.

This is what it looks like here with us. Industry, nature, culture. A little bit of each. It wasn’t always like this.

• Jung Roe

01/11/2021 at 02:56

Hi Jurgen. Thanks for sharing those beautiful and fascinating aerial shots.

I’d love to visit Austria and Germany one day. For me it would be a musical pilgrimage to visit where the best of music in the world started. I would start the pilgrimage in a small village outside of Vienna, where Mona and Lisa were born and grew up. Then into Vienna where Mozart and Beethoven’s music careers flourished, as well as Liszt and Bach. I would find their respective museums in the city. Then it would be on to Germany, but not before visiting the Austrian Alps. Have you seen MLTs slideshow visiting the Alps! Wow. In Germany I would start in Bonn where Beethoven was born, and then off to Hamburg to visit all the Beatles sites where MLT did the VLOGs. I would have to stop at the Montblanc factory for a fountain pen manufacture tour too, while in Hamburg! 🙂

BTW, I would also check out the local fare like Schnitzel, Knodel, Mehlspeisen, Ghoulash etc while visiting, one of my fave past times, trying out different foods of the world. We have a few nice Austrian/German restaurants in Vancouver that I’ve enjoyed Schnitzel. And also have to find the best Leberkäse (Lisa mentioned being one of her faves) especially to try out while I am there too.

• Jürgen

01/11/2021 at 14:44

That sounds like a wonderful idea, Jung. A musical round trip through Austria and Germany. This is one of the dreams that you should definitely realize (if it fits time and financially). I was years ago on the island of Borneo, this I always wanted to have seen once. And the memories I took home from there will accompany me all my life. Whatever happens, no one can take these memories away from me. Vienna, the Alps, Bonn and Hamburg. You’ve got your work cut out for you. How long is the trip supposed to last? And if you’re ever in Hamburg, you really have to visit the „Miniatur Wunderland” in Hamburg. It’s probably the largest model railroad in the world, and it’s absolutely worth a visit even for people who don’t normally go in for model railroading. The layout is located in the historic warehouse district of Hamburg and there you can see all of Europe. The Swiss Alps (20 feet high in total), Berlin, Rome, Scandinavia (the fjords filled with real water and remote controlled ships) and even parts of the Grand Canyon are reproduced there. Large model planes take off, land and you can watch them taxi down the runway. The space shuttle in Cape Canaveral takes off every hour and flashing fire engines regularly go on missions in downtown Hamburg. Every half hour the sun sets and everything is fantastically illuminated.

If you ever travel to Bonn, get in touch beforehand (I’m serious now). Bonn is about an hour’s drive from me. That’s not much. Nur ein „Katzensprung“ (just a cat jump away). Then we visit a nice restaurant there and have „Rheinischer Sauerbraten mit Kartoffelklößen und Rotkohl“ (I can’t translate that). A local specialty. Very tasty. And maybe you’ll take me to the Beethoven House in Bonn, then I’ll finally learn something more about Beethoven. True. Beethoven was born in Bonn. I have somehow pushed that out of my memory (oh, how ignorant I am…). Then he is a Rhinelander, just like me. Who knows, maybe a lot of music flows in my veins and I don’t even know it.

PS: „Leberkäse mit Spiegelei, Röstzwiebeln und Bratkartoffeln“ („Liver loaf with fried egg, fried onions and fried potatoes“) tastes good. Schnitzel, Knödel, Mehlspeisen (Kaiserschmarrn), Gullasch I would eat better in Vienna or Austria. Hamburg cuisine prefers fish dishes like Labskaus, Finkenwerder Scholle, Hamburger Aalsuppe.

• Jung Roe

02/11/2021 at 03:52

Hi Jurgen. Will definitely look you up when in Bonn! Visiting some local restaurants sounds awesome, and maybe we can try some German beer too! In Vancouver we have a lot of custom breweries that make wonderful craft beer, but German beer is quite famous. That miniature world and model railroad in Hamburg sounds intriguing too, and will add that to the list of things to see there. Thanks for the photos there of Beethoven House, and info about the miniature world in Hamburg. Will love to visit them and take tons of photos and buy some souvenirs too!.

• Jung Roe

02/11/2021 at 03:59

One of my favourite modern new age pianists is George Winston. He has done albums around the season theme like Autumn, December, Winter Into Spring, Summer etc…This one is called Colors/Dance which is one of the tracks off of his Autumn album. George Winston also does a beautiful piano solo rendition of “Walking In The Air” which was one of my favourite versions of this song, until I heard MLTs rock version which took it to an even higher plateau. But George Winston’s piano version is nice, and worth a listen too.

https://youtu.be/ZRf8Wi2VXfc

• Jürgen

02/11/2021 at 06:02

…beautiful relaxing music…

• Jürgen

02/11/2021 at 06:04

…beautiful melancholic music…

https://youtu.be/BQVd_N1xdVM

• Tom Fones

03/11/2021 at 10:24

Everything i would have contributed has already been uploaded.

I just want to mention that in the Neil Young video it’s Nils Lofgren on guitar with his back to the camera, and Nicolette Larson singing.

Nils is my homey from Bethesda, MD and Nicolette was my should-have-been-homey.

I still miss Nicolette.

• Tom Fones

03/11/2021 at 14:58
    Let me add one from Loreena Mckennitt

• Diana Geertsen

08/11/2021 at 02:53

Guns N Roses’ November Rain (my first choice would’ve been ‘Autumn Leaves’, one of my all time favorites). This has almost 2 billion hits on You Tube

Deleted the video. A little edgy

• Jung Roe

09/11/2021 at 05:16

Hi Diana, Gun’s N Roses “November Rain” pleasantly surprised me with the orchestra and grand piano playing with the band. Nice ballad and what an epic song at 9 minutes in length. Quite a departure from their heavy rock sounds.

Page 2 of 2

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!