MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion The Greatest Soundtracks Of All Time

• Jürgen

08/11/2023 at 08:18

Anyone who is interested in the history of film and the emergence of modern cinema will not miss the film Hugo Cabret, which takes us to Paris in 1931. There the orphan boy Hugo is confronted with mysterious incidents that lead him further and further to the roots of early cinema. The ingenious tracking shot at the beginning of the film alone draws the viewer into a thrilling plot that only releases the viewer after 127 minutes. If you have the opportunity, you should watch this film in 3D. For me it’s one of the most beautiful 3D films I’ve seen so far. But worth seeing and recommending even without this technology.

https://youtu.be/aSTnmEEotCQ?si=zOdNzy9lXyIM0Kat

• Jürgen

08/11/2023 at 08:19

We have now traveled so far through the contemporary history of film. Now only two real time trips are missing. Here are two of my favorite films on this topic. When Robert Zemecki’s Movie Back to the Future came out in theaters in 1985, it really blew my mind. Accompanied by the music of Huey Lewis and the News.

https://youtu.be/wBl2QGAIx1s?si=G817yMr1EjwY-KxY

• Chris Weber

08/11/2023 at 18:47

YouTube tells me this vid is private. Were you trying to show Back to the Future trailer?

• Jürgen

08/11/2023 at 08:21

The second movie is a British tragic comedy from 2013. On his 21st birthday, Tim Lake learns from his father that, like all male members of the family, he has the ability to travel back in time. All he has to do is go into a dark room, clench his hands into fists and think about the time and place he wants to travel to. This not only messes up Tim’s life, but also time itself.

https://youtu.be/7OIFdWk83no?t=5

• Jürgen

08/11/2023 at 08:26

The film is accompanied by a beautiful song originally written by The Waterboys in 1990.

https://youtu.be/iQop_qs4xV4?si=w_LqwL6jYetwpvVC

• Chris Weber

08/11/2023 at 18:30

Jürgen,

Many thanks, to you and everyone else, for these recommendations. One of the great things about the Club is that it puts us in touch with people from all over the world, from different backgrounds. I know that there is an enormous amount of wonderful things in the world that I’ve not yet seen, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to post about them.

• Chris Weber

08/11/2023 at 18:50

YouTube is similarly misbehaving with this video, the one with the Waterboys song; it says it is not available.

For any vids that I can’t see in America, which might be due to copyright issues – at least that’s one possibility – if you tell me the name of what you’re trying to show I might be able to find another copy of it. Thanks.

• Jürgen

09/11/2023 at 15:23

Sorry Chris, setting up a YouTube video is sometimes a gamble. You’re right, the first time travel movie is „Back to the future“ (Trailer & Song). I replaced that. If it still doesn’t work, maybe you can find a similar video that works for you, thanks. The second film trailer is “About Time”. I also replaced the associated video clip with the film song. I hope it works now.

• Chris Weber

09/11/2023 at 15:33

Thanks they’re working now.

• Daryl Jones

08/11/2023 at 19:00

For sure West side Story belongs in the list, and I’ve seen the latest version too. I was very young when the original film came out, and I never saw any stage versions of any big show other than Fiddler On The Roof (another very worthy mention) about 10-12 years back and 6 years ago Phantom in NYC which literally had me shaking in my seat!
    There is so much to experience musically in both stage and screen theater….

• David Herrick

08/11/2023 at 19:30

I got to see The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway myself a few years ago. Fantastic music, and I was amazed at the special effects they could incorporate into a live show! The only other show I’ve seen on Broadway is Beautiful (the Carole King musical), which was also excellent.

• Daryl Jones

09/11/2023 at 16:16

That was my feeling on Phantom as well, amazing theatrical stage and set-up! I should check out the Carol King one.

• Jacki Hopper

09/11/2023 at 02:20
    • Jürgen

09/11/2023 at 15:25

Many thanks, Jacki. The Waterboys “How long will I love you”. Yes, that’s the song from “About Time”. Thanks for the fast service! 👍

• Jacki Hopper

09/11/2023 at 02:24

I have The Back To Future Triology movies on VHS tapes…. Luv them all…Yes …Huey Lewis kicked Rock n Roll Butt– as part of the soundtrack from these movies …. 🤘🏻😁😎

• Tim Arnold

15/11/2023 at 03:27

I think this song has to be included. Maybe not the greatest movie soundtrack but possibly the greatest song from a movie.

This paragraph was from Wikipedia, In March 2017, Judy Garland’s 1939 Decca single was entered in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as music that is “culturally, historically, or artistically significant”. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) ranked it number one on their Songs of the Century list. The American Film Institute named it best movie song on the AFI’s 100 Years…100 Songs list.

I wouldn’t mind hearing what the MLT’s harmonies could do with this song.

https://youtu.be/PSZxmZmBfnU?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

15/11/2023 at 03:56

+1.

Over the Rainbow is a standard. Period. Also a jazz standard. One of the great songs of music and movie history.

If you’ve ever heard Judy Garland sing anything else, she could really flat out sing. One of the songs on the Christmas album is “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”. Garland sang that and made it a part of the culture too.

That whole scene in the Wizard where she sings it is so classic, so special. Just a quiet Kansas farm, her and Toto, and then wow.

• Tim Arnold

15/11/2023 at 05:05

Yeah, I’ve heard her sing on variety shows and a few of her other movies on classic movie television. She was a great singer, no b.s., with a huge stage presence for such a small lady. I think that is the beauty of this scene, just her beautiful voice with minimal instrumentation and really quite simple lyrics that anyone can understand. It really draws you in and sets the mood for what is to come in the movie.

• Chris Weber

15/11/2023 at 13:21

Since I mentioned it. Another amazing moment from her.

https://youtu.be/CreWsnhQwzY

• Tim Arnold

15/11/2023 at 17:20

Thanks Chris, I didn’t know she sang the original version of this song. I’ve heard it sung by many different artists but none any better than this. Recorded in 1944 I can’t imagine the feelings of the men and women all over the world that were serving in the war when they heard this song. She was a special entertainer.

• Bud Jackson

15/11/2023 at 23:17

Tim and Chris,

I’m a Judy Garland fan too, & I remember seeing her on TV a lot when I was young. If you haven’t heard this song of hers from the 1954 movie, “A Star is Born,” you must! It’s my favorite song of hers! I was lucky to play trumpet in a show dedicated to her music, & we played this song among others, back about 10 years ago.

I love her interaction with the musicians in this movie clip! Btw, Judy was in something like 7 of the Top Ten Movie Musicals! (I remember seeing that fact once, but couldn’t find it today.) — –Check this out!

— ALSO, from a Command Radio Performance at age 21. (Judy Garland, 1922 to 1969)

— Finally, from a 1942 movie with Gene Kelly. She’s only 20 here! C’mon people, dig this!

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly – Ballin’ the Jack – YouTube

JUDY GARLAND at 21 singing OVER THE RAINBOW remastered audio – YouTube

Judy Garland – The Man That Got Away (Outtake 1) – YouTube

• Bud Jackson

15/11/2023 at 23:33

CORRECTION FROMTHE LAST POST: I had meant to say that 7 musicals Judy was in are in the Top HUNDRED Musicals! — Bud

Page 3 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!