• The Seekers

Posted by David Herrick on 14/05/2019 at 15:24

Have you ever considered recording a song by The Seekers?  I imagine your rendition of “A World Of Our Own” would be sublime.

Howard replied 5 years, 2 months ago 10 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    14/05/2019 at 15:25

Hi David!
    We always love to try songs by artists and bands we’ve not covered yet, and the Seekers are definitely on our radar but it’s a matter of time and priorities over different projects at the moment. I’ve yet to properly check out the Seekers back catalogue to be honest but your question made me pull up their albums on Spotify. That’s my soundtrack of the day sorted 😉 Thanks for your song suggestion!

• Howard

14/05/2019 at 16:24

How about “Morningtown Ride” (an opportunity for banjo, or Lisa’s ukulele at least) or “I’ll Never Find Another You” (an opportunity for your 12 string acoustic) There’s a good joke about that one but I don’t think I can share it here. Bruce Woodley was extremely upset when Judith Durham broke up the band to go solo. They were about to sign their second contract which would have been a huge pay day for them.

An interesting look at a sixties recording studio in the link.

https://youtu.be/KmactMIhrRM

• Howard

14/05/2019 at 16:50

And I recommend you don’t entertain the idea of recording their “The Leaving Of Liverpool”.

• David Herrick

14/05/2019 at 18:25

Ha!  Also avoid “We’re Moving On” and “If You Go Away”.

• Stephen Krogh

14/05/2019 at 17:04

Great suggestion David. Glad you are going to consider this Mona! Howard, you must be very proud of this legendary band from “down under”. Thanks for the video clip. This band produced some of my very favorite songs without exception, and I still love them today. I agree MLT could do an amazing cover while adding their special magic.

• John Behle

14/05/2019 at 22:59

Excellent suggestion Howard.  I watch that “I’ll Never Find Another You” almost as often as MLT videos.  Every time I think of what an amazing job they could do with the harmonies and guitar. It could be so cool or should I say “groovy”.

Every video I watch with the idea of how would Mona and Lisa do an incredible job with it.   Then I step back and look at the Lyrics and message.  This song has an upbeat positive message that would go well for them.

Wouldn’t hurt that that particular video has over 22 million views in two years.  When I searched for it just now I entered the letter “I” into the search and it popped up as the first result before I even typed other letters.

Part of what’s great about MLT is the love they have for their music and the joy they share, so I would think their choice of videos and songs have little motivation or thought regarding specifically attracting new fans or friends.   But can’t we have both?

I feel so fortunate that a Beatles search led me to MonaLisa videos and would love to see others discover them also.   I kind of hesitated to click at first.  I didn’t want to see someone do a bad or mediocre version of the Beatles, but once I watched that first one I was like a fish caught on a hook.

• John Behle

14/05/2019 at 23:02

I was going to mention that the next couple videos of the song had another 20 million views.

• Thomas Randall

14/05/2019 at 23:36

“I’ll never find another you” is a FANTASTIC song! Judith had one hell of a voice! I listen to that one every now and then myself.

• Michael Rife

27/05/2019 at 23:44

A similar group from back then is Spanky and Our Gang,  Like To Get To Know You would be an interesting cover especially with the ending of the song.  MLT could let their creativity go….the male vocal leads on the “outtro” could be a challenge but if they can put a flute in a Beatles cover, then anything can happen.

Another song that I mentioned a while back was Chad and Jeremy’s Summer Song.  My wife and I saw Peter and Jeremy (now you really have to concentrate real hard to say Peter and Jeremy and not something else) a few months ago in Boston.  Summer Song has been a favorite of mine since ’65.  Mike.

• Jacki Hopper

28/05/2019 at 01:05

Lol… Well… This is a great source for hearing about bands I’m not familiar with (of perhaps the songs are but I just never knew who sang them)… Seekers… Guess I’m going to have to go Seek Them out and a few others that have been mentioned throughout here on MLT Club… Why Google up these things when there’s an in- house infosource of music knowledge. Thankyou for sharing these bands!!

• John Behle

16/06/2019 at 01:45

Thanks Michael for mentioning “Summer Song” by Chad snd Jeremy.  I knew the song but didn’t place the name.  When you mentioned it, I tracked it down and love listening to it.  I agree with you, it would be a wonderful song for Mona and Lisa to do.  Their beautiful voices and harmony would put new life into a great song.

• Howard

16/06/2019 at 13:25

I’m not sure if you are aware, Michael and John, there is a MonaLisa Twins’ video of a Chad and Jeremy cover “Yesterday’s Gone”, recorded at a Billy Butler show on BBC Merseyside.

https://youtu.be/-NQSpGQ-TzA

• Jung Roe

16/06/2019 at 23:11

This is such a charming video and what delightful singing.  I also really enjoy listening to the extensive series of interviews they did with Billy Butler every weekend for many weekends in 2014, and all the live singing they did on the shows.  Many real gems like this one.

• Roger

17/06/2019 at 10:57

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEx3y20jo20

You got me thinking about groups that may not be all that known, even back in the day.  This song by the Critters captured my attention as a very young boy with his transistor radio at the local swimming pool on a hot summer’s afternoon.  just laying out, getting a dark tan, with the radio next to my head.  Lots of guitar sparkle and upbeat lyrics from what seems to be a more innocent time.

And…Mr Dieingly Sad   Another summer hit….kind of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4XZt7hocUoQ

A second vote would have to be the Dave Clark Five’s song, “Because”…one of my all-time fav’s!

Roger

• Howard

22/06/2019 at 21:01

I remember the song well Roger. It was written and recorded by John Sebastian, but the version of “Younger Girl” that was a hit here was by the Hondells.

https://youtu.be/RQaM8P_kVoE

However, I guess the definitive version would have to be the Lovin’ Spoonful’s.

https://youtu.be/b53EbA1NBRk

• Michael Rife

11/07/2019 at 22:00

Another in the Seeker category is one by We Five called “You Were On My Mind”.  It has some decent guitar pieces and harmonies all over the place.  Both of these would be in the band’s “wheel house” (this is a baseball term meaning a pitch is right where the batter wants it to hit a home run.  Mike.

• David Herrick

12/07/2019 at 02:05

That song was actually my gateway to discovering the music of the Seekers ten years ago.  It played on a cable TV music station with pictures of the group, and I was shocked to discover after all those years of just hearing it that the lead singer (Bev Bivens) was female.  I researched her on the Internet, and read that her voice had been compared to someone called Judith Durham.  So then I looked up Judith, and a new musical passion was born.  But you’re right; the harmonies on this song truly soar, and it’s easy to picture MLT really getting into it.

Page 1 of 2

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!