• The Workflow

Posted by Robert Blume on 17/11/2018 at 21:25

With so many creative/business projects in the pipeline, I am curious how you all manage the workflow and keep it on track. It seems like you are very well organized.

At ad agencies where I worked there was a master production log with each project mapped out including timetables and deadlines..studio sessions, editing, artwork, media dates, etc; ect; We had Monday meetings to plan the week ahead and generally update everything with all concerned adjusted their personal calendars accordingly.

Do you do something similar to this? Or is it done informally through normal family communication?

Seattle Bob

Michael Rife replied 5 years, 9 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Jacki Hopper

17/11/2018 at 21:59

This is a great Q… Interested to what their reply will be….

• Steve

18/11/2018 at 01:12

Heck, I wonder how much sleep they get.

• Michael Triba

19/11/2018 at 06:32

I agree with Canada Jacki, Seattle Bob; that is a great question!

I wonder if somehow they really do have 8 days a week?  I checked the box below so I will get an e-mail alert of their reply.  Excellent question!

Husker (Omaha) Mike

• Howard

19/11/2018 at 09:15

Yep Mike. Eight days a week in their Octopus’s Garden with their eight arms!

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    20/11/2018 at 19:20

That’s a good question and something I don’t think we’ve ever talked about much because business and structured workflow is not what many people think of in regards to musicians and art in general.

Like in any successful business or organisation we, too, have to approach our musical endeavours in a structured and organised way, otherwise we wouldn’t get much done on time and feel stressed-out constantly.

Planning and goal setting is key, and we regularly get together to discuss or readjust our plans for the upcoming months/year(s). This is much like you described your work at ad agencies.

Michaela used to work as a project manager in one as well, so she maps everything out into a visual timeline, with sub-projects and deadlines for each of us, from which we then create our personal to-do lists. This gets followed and adjusted along the way.

We all have our own tasks, chores and duties, and over the years we have developed a tried and tested workflow for business and creative projects. Having optimised workspaces and equipment we’ve become quite efficient with the technical and mechanical side of music, photo and video production too.

None of that sounds particularly sexy and artsy but that’s the stuff going on in the background which allows us to make music for you directly and to stay independent and morally uncompromised.

Thanks for the question 🙂

• Michael Rife

10/12/2018 at 13:46

Hi Mona;

The approach sounds very good and professional.  I worked 30+ years in corporations in the US and the approach sounds very familiar.  I also wondered how the team got so much accomplished.  My only concern is that you two have time to rest and for recreation.  Mike.

• Jacki Hopper

20/11/2018 at 20:24

Wow Mona… I found your reply to be both interesting and educational in that I learned something new today… Thankyou for your indepth answer. ????????☮️

• Rick Ross

20/11/2018 at 21:33

Thanks ever so much Mona for your answer. I knew Michaela had a business background, just not to that well rounded extent. Knowing Michaela she makes sure everything is running efficiently. And as the Business Manager, keeps the business side running smoothly.

I am so glad you are able to keep it Idependent and Big Brothers nose out of it.

• Robert Blume

20/11/2018 at 23:16

Thank you Mona,

This explains much. I figured everyone on Team MLT is a natural multi-tasker….but what a tremendous advantage to have a professional project manager in the family.

Seattle Bob

• Steve

20/11/2018 at 23:45

And that, Mona, is why MLT are so successful.  I remember one of your YouTube Q&A’s where you told your parents that you wanted to quit school because you knew what you wanted to do with your lives and that you had a plan.  That plan, I can see, was thought out, organized, and well executed.  I salute your carrying out your mission on your terms and nobody else’s. You’ve proven that with a plan and a process in place, ones dream can become reality.

• Howard

21/11/2018 at 02:30

Yes, team MLT is the perfect family business with all aspects covered from the artistic side to the technical/engineering side and the project management and marketing side of the business. All they need now is a roadie and touring manager, but I expect they’d do that themselves too.

I’m sure they’d find someone from the club willing to help out with the tour management and roadie side of the business if it meant getting them to tour locally though!

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!