MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs THE WORLD IS AT YOUR COMMAND

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    20/02/2020 at 23:41

Looking at numbers and our online statistics is still really surreal sometimes. Our whole journey has been a very gradual build-up where with every year and every new project, video or CD more and more people from all across the globe started tuning in. It was (and still is) so exciting to see!

Thanks to the internet and the way people listen to music these days, location really isn’t a factor. It was of course always something we hoped would happen, but our 13 year old selves would be more than gobsmacked if they knew people from every corner of the world would one day watch their videos. 🙂

• Howard

21/02/2020 at 00:19

Well Lisa, I’m just so glad you and Mona had the courage at the tender age of thirteen to follow your dreams and give it your best shot. We are also very fortunate you had your awesome papa and Michaela who believed in you and have supported you all the way in your awesome journey!

• Paul Steinmayer

22/02/2020 at 00:08

I couldn’t agree more Howard!

Back when I was young and trying to make my way in the musical world, it was still back in the early 1980s… and there wasn’t such a thing as YouTube.  I wrote some great songs, and played in some great bands… but I never got that big break, so I resigned myself to the fact that I would be a club band musician, and a normal working guy, and that was alright.  I still do have dreams of getting heard by a huge audience thought… even at my 57 years of age!  I do think I may one day re-record some of those songs I wrote and recorded back then, and putting them out there for the world to hear.

• Howard

22/02/2020 at 00:52

You were probably born too soon Paul. Maybe if you were born thirty years later, things could have been very different for you. Having said that, sometimes I think the Twins wish they were born thirty years earlier (“I wish I was a punk rocker, with flowers in my hair”), so we didn’t do too bad growing up with the music we had!

• Jacki Hopper

22/02/2020 at 02:13

I agree with both of you, and Paul, I hope MLT has inspired you to go ahead with that notion to re-record and share, why not?!, I’d love to hear your stuff, Team MLT, Grooviest Inspires and Motivators✌️

• Brian St. August

22/02/2020 at 23:19

For what it is worth, sometimes we are not appreciated in the moment we preferred, but our music is eternal even if we lose the rights to it over time. In the 60’s I wrote, arranged, played and was the essential leader of a band called The Shoremen in the US. Our records at that time received only modest radio support. However, over the last 15 years they are finding their way onto MANY compilation discs throughout Europe. They are the copies of the original recordings and feature our name, but don’t give writing credits. I also receive no BMI’s nor mechanical royalties, but I try to focus on the fact that after all of these years, my music is still speaking to people and they are enjoying it. As an artist, that is pleasing … as a human ego, it is bittersweet … but so is life. Just letting you know that your art NEVER dies and may be discovered by others even if you don’t know about it. Hugs, Brian.

• Howard

23/02/2020 at 05:46

Hi Brian. Something doesn’t sound quite right. Did you receive a writing credit for those songs in the sixties? If so, how do they manage to exclude you now, and who is getting the royalty benefits. Many artists were ripped off in the sixties and early seventies, including some of the biggest, like the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys, usually through bad management. The worst case I know of was probably Badfinger in the early seventies.

Fortunately, today, for artists like the MLT, who are truly independent, the chances of being ripped off are negligible.

• Paul Steinmayer

23/02/2020 at 14:22

Ed King, a founder of the Strawberry Alarm Clock and later member of Lynyrd Skynyrd (and writer of Sweet Home Alabama and other early Skynyrd tunes) always said how he was denied songwriting credit for Incense and Peppermints by the record label and his management, despite being the one who actually wrote the song!  I guess it happened a lot.  It’s one of the reasons I’ve always been careful not to put stuff I wrote back in the 80s out there – I never applied for copyright protection.

• Jacki Hopper

24/02/2020 at 06:00

In my teens, I made an attempt to try song writing lyrics for a song idea I had… I sort of had a tune in my mind… It got as far as writing out the lyrics aspect…. Because I can’t barely read/understand music notes, etc…. No wonder I abandoned that notion to go further with that song idea… I still have those lyrics I wrote…

It would be cool if MLT sung a poem of mine, that is to hear my poetry in music format…. I think that would be and sound cool

I think all songwriters, etc should get proper writing credit, etc where due and not get ripped off…

Being independent as MLT are, gives them that control of their Creativeness, and that is a Fab thing.

• Brian St. August

24/02/2020 at 16:02

Howard, I both copyrighted my music and registered it with BMI (I am a BMI affiliated writer) back when it was released originally in the early 60’s for performance royalties. On these compilation CD’s the group’s name is used but my writing credit is not noted on youtube unless I note it in comments. The users apparently did not make efforts to contact the original publisher – Beachcomber Music -BMI , and they have essentially not been paying any performance nor mechanical royalties. In the US, the primary performance rights companies are BMI, SESAC and ASCAP. I don’t know what arrangement the Twins have for their performance royalties and usage since they are a complex international entity.

• Jacki Hopper

24/02/2020 at 16:56

Well now, that has me wondering about Copyright stuff in Canada…

• Paul Steinmayer

25/02/2020 at 11:36

Interesting about your idea of singing a poem Jacki.  Back in the mid 80’s, one of the best songs I ever wrote was when a singer I was playing with back then handed me a poem he wrote for his wife.  I turned that poem into lyrics and wrote the music, sharing the songwriting credit with him.  One of these days, I’m going to re-record it… most likely playing all the instruments myself (if I ever find the time).  Maybe I’ll put that one on You Tube!

• Jacki Hopper

25/02/2020 at 13:49

Yes Paul, that is another  lifetime dream of mine, to have a poem of mine made into a song, I hope to have come true, right up there to publishing a poetry book.

One can dream, hopefully/longing to fulfill those dreams…

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!