MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Time and Songs about time 2

• Jung Roe

16/08/2020 at 07:32

In Physics:
    Einstein in 1915 proved that massive objects like planets and stars cause a distortion in space-time which is felt as gravity. Simply put, gravity can cause time to slow.

In Literature:
    Shakespeare wrote in 1600,
    MB 149 Calligraphy flex writing sample

• Jung Roe

16/08/2020 at 07:38

Alternatively, Einstein said:

When you sit with a nice girl for two
    hours, it seems like two minutes;
    when you sit on a hot stove for two
    minutes, it seems like two hours.
    That’s relativity

A few quotes about time relative to music:

The beautiful thing is, music can be like a time machine. One song – the lyrics, the melody, the mood – can take you back to a moment in time like nothing else can.

We’ve already invented a time machine. It’s called music. Brian Norgard

Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time. Jean-Michael Basquait

Music is the art of sounds in the movement of time. Ferruccio Busoni

Music is geometry in time. Arthur Honegger

I don’t know if music can change the world overnight, but I know it can help someone make it through a difficult night. Michael Franti

Every great work of art has two faces, one toward its own time, and one toward the future, toward eternity. Daniel Barenbom

Good music doesn’t have an expiration date

• David Herrick

16/08/2020 at 08:10

I had a really cool science teacher in high school who designed his own course dealing with science topics that typically weren’t included in the curriculum:  geology, astronomy, non-Newtonian physics, etc.  Of all the things we covered, the one that blew my mind the most was the fact that gravity slows down time.

• Jung Roe

16/08/2020 at 08:37

David, yeah after I retire I’d love to audit a course on physics that go into Einstein’s general theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.  I saw a documentary where they took two super accurate atomic clocks, placed one at the bottom of the ocean, and another at one of the highest peaks in the world and let them run simultaneously for a few days or weeks.  When they compared the two, they were slightly off.  The clock stationed below the ocean, as expected, was running slightly behind the one stationed on the mountain peak.   I mean we’re talking microscopic difference in time, but nevertheless the difference was measurable.  I suppose as we approach a black hole where gravity is infinite, time stops?? Hard to comprehend.

I was watching a Beethoven movie where he is describing a moment in music where a note captures a moment of beauty and that moment is eternity, time stops.  Watching some of those “beauty of a second” videos, where they try to show you a timeless moment or memory of something beautiful that transcends the bounds of time, I can somewhat comprehend the concept of eternity being captured in a moment of beauty in the Beethoven movie scene….

• David Herrick

16/08/2020 at 09:09

Jung, that would be a great idea to audit a course like that at a university!  Most likely the title would be something like “modern physics”.  I was a physics major, and that was my favorite course in the department.  It was actually less demanding mathematically than the introductory sequence in classical physics that preceded it.

I recall learning at some point that the time slowdown effect has been measured just between the ground floor and the top floor of the physics building at some university.  The time difference between the clocks is of course minuscule, but it’s measurable and precisely what relativity predicts.

If I remember correctly, time slows to a complete stop at the event horizon of a black hole, where the gravitational escape speed equals the speed of light.  For black holes that form from collapsed stars, this amounts to just a few kilometers from the center.

When you mentioned the “Beethoven movie”, at first I thought you were talking about the one with Charles Grodin, Bonnie Hunt, and a St. Bernard!

• Jung Roe

16/08/2020 at 10:58

The St Bernard Beethoven movie, ah that one belongs in the other thread.  🙂

Here is the scene from Copying Beethoven I was referring to.  I think I posted last year in another thread.

https://youtu.be/_KIhCBsydbE

Modern Physics course sounds good.  It’s amazing they can measure the time slow down effect just between several floors of a building!  Wow.

• Jacki Hopper

16/08/2020 at 23:12

Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time” and then my buddy Alan Frew’s ( Glass Tiger)version of that song by Cyndi… didn’t  Huey Lewis and The News do a couple of songs about time in Back To Future trilogy movies!?

• David Herrick

16/08/2020 at 23:30

That’s right, Jacki.  I didn’t think of the BTTF soundtrack.  I think the theme song was called “Back in Time”.

• Jung Roe

16/08/2020 at 23:56

Jacki, yes Cyndi Lauper’s Time after Time is a classic.

• Jung Roe

24/08/2020 at 01:13

Was watching one of the What’s On the Table episodes, and wow!  How can we not mention this one!  One of MLTs faves.  Really beautiful song.

https://youtu.be/AEh56lhILv4

Time’s running out, hold on if you must
    Time’s never been a friend
    Time’s been running out since time began

You must change with time or time will change alone
    And while you’ve been standing still
    Everything else will have grown

The answer’s easy (the answer’s easy) if you try (if you only try)
    The answer’s right (the answer’s right) the answer’s why

Don’t try to hold the waves back (Doo -dooo)
    Don’t try too hard to fly
    For time is running out and time never lies

The answer’s easy (the answer’s easy) if you try (if you only try)
    The answer’s right (the answer’s right) the answer’s why

Don’t try to hold the waves back (Doo -dooo)
    Don’t try too hard to fly
    For time is running out and time never lies

• Jung Roe

25/08/2020 at 11:52

Time’s running out, hold on if you must.

Times been running out since time began.

The answer’s easy

The answer’s right

The answer’s why

Lyrics are intriguing.  Makes you wonder why.  Like this song.

• Bill Isenberg

27/08/2020 at 01:17

Jung,

In reading this I thought of Dust in the Wind by Kansas 1978, and kind of a religious song maybe? But time is so fast these days. All my kids are grown up and I have Maddie who is 7 now and so hard to believe how fast time goes by, I have been at the same job for 43 years now and it seems like yesterday that I first started. So as a Rolling Stones fan and Mona and Lisa fan? All can come up with is The Last Time….sorry….LOL

• Jung Roe

27/08/2020 at 05:14

Hi Bill,

Wow 43 years at the same job, that is impressive and special!  I thought my 30 years at my last job was big, but my hats off to you.  Some of my early memories and experiences there certainly feel like yesterday too.  I vividly remember the first time I went through the front doors of that office, and on the last day walking out that same door, briefly looking back and stopping for a moment for a last look around reminiscing the first time I stepped in there 30 years ago.  A kind of a Cheers moment.  Funny how time goes.

I have that album in vinyl from 1978 by Kansas “Point of No Return”, from the archives of my brothers record collection.  “Dust In the Wind” is a great beautiful song, in the same league as Pink Floyds “Wish You Were Here” with beautiful acoustic guitar and majestic harmonies.  Maybe an idea for an MLT cover one day.  Lisa may have to bring out that cello again as there is that cello/violin part in there.  🙂

The Last Time is A great song, thanks for another excuse to play MLT here, One More Time!

https://youtu.be/JrnDsw2yaWE

• Jung Roe

27/08/2020 at 05:27

Kansas – Dust In The Wind

https://youtu.be/_Vl3lydJy9s

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment’s gone

All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind

All they are is dust in the wind

Now, don’t hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky

It slips away, and all your money won’t another minute buy

• David Herrick

27/08/2020 at 06:00
Page 2 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!