MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion What are You’re Favourite Bob Dylan Songs?

• Joseph Manzi

15/08/2020 at 18:32

Father like Son – The Wallflowers  Howard you should like this one. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUL5lpCwb1U

• Howard

15/08/2020 at 19:55

Yes, excellent pick there Joe. That Jade Castrinos has one powerful voice.

How’s this for another live version of Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone”?

https://youtu.be/JYIntKBGgaA

• Jacki Hopper

15/08/2020 at 22:29

Yes, Howard is correct, in my disdain for Neil Young’s twangy nasal

singing voice, similar to Dylan’s,  both their singing voices I’m sensitive to,  it annoys my hearing, and nasal twang drives me bonkers…. Both however are clever songwriters, that I will give them credit for….and of course I love The Guess Who, BTO  it’s  what I was exposed to growing up in my house, in Thanks to my 2 older bros with their album /tape collections…. one bro does like Neil…lol, the one bro I share similar  music tastes with except on that…I enjoy The Tragically Hip stuff….????

• Joseph Manzi

15/08/2020 at 22:56

Jacki,

You have trouble with nasal and twang. Shame.

Curious do you like the Byrds and Tom Petty?

I bet you like the Guess Who and Bachman Turner  Overdrive. Hey too each there.

• Joseph Manzi

15/08/2020 at 23:12

Howard  – I thought you would like it. If you have not see the movie Echo In The Canyon.

You should check it out. That’s where that clip came from. It was nice seeing Michele Phillips too.  It deals with the California Sound.

• Joseph Manzi

15/08/2020 at 23:15

Oh Howard – Forgot! I like the Stones and Dylan clip too. So that’s two performance on Like A Rolling Stone. I thought they never did a copy on that song. Thanks again.

• Jung Roe

15/08/2020 at 23:36

Bob Dylan was quite the artist and poet too.  In 2016 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for his poetic lyrics, and in 2018 London they honored him further exhibiting his art work.  He was an accomplished painter too.

• Michael Rife

16/08/2020 at 00:52

Also as a side benefit concerning Dylan and the Beatles………John went through a Dylan period which started during the Help! album and continued part way through Revolver.  My favorite John songs are during that period of time.

Also, this is under the strange bedfellows category……Dylan and Johnny Cash were good friends and collaborators.  At times I can understand it because they both went against the trends and at times I think how is it possible for those two to “click” as friends.  Still there is a definite country influence in Nashville Skyline and Blonde on Blonde and Cash and his wife did cover It Ain’t Me, Babe.  Mike

• Howard

16/08/2020 at 06:19

Hi Michael. Though never really a Country music fan, I was quite partial to Dylan’s “Nashville Skyline” and in particular, his Johnny Cash collaboration – “Girl From the North Country”.

https://youtu.be/PxURXuzRUX4

• Jacki Hopper

16/08/2020 at 06:29

I grew up mostly with country /rock /pop/bluegrass /blues /southern rock/bigband/gospel in our house, thus my appreciation for these genres, especially, /rock/country genres, with likes of Patsy, Loretta, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Wolf Carter, Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc… ????

• David

16/08/2020 at 11:48

Hi Howard, Thanks for  your reply & your insights. I feel the same way that his 60’s material really resonates with me & had the largest impact on music and on popular culture. He popularized the idea of someone performing their own songs  that they wrote themselves. Its incredible that the albums Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 & Blonde On Blonde  were all released in the span of just over one year. Lines like You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows; He not busy being born, is busy dying; Money does’t talk, it swears. These lines & many others had a huge impact and people still quote them today. But like Joe said Dylan knew what he wanted to do & he wanted to keep changing. He didn’t want to be labeled or to give people what they expected from him. One constant theme through out his career has been to showcase the power of the individual to keep re-inventing himself. To keep creating. Protest singer, to surreal, introspective lyrics,  to going electric  with a band,  to a family man making making “old weird” American music, to a country singer,  to a man facing the end of his marriage & revealing his pain, to traveling troubadour, to mystical, tarot card reading romany, to born again Christian etc. etc. I love all these changes. He did each one well & then he moved on. When you look at Dylan’s out put as a whole you see an incredible range of musical styles.

• Howard

16/08/2020 at 18:21

Well put David.

At the beginning of the year I created a topic that includes many covers of Dylan songs. The Topic is called: The MonaLisa Twins Do Dylan

https://test2.monalisa-twins.com/forums/topic/the-monalisa-twins-do-dylan/

The MonaLisa Twins Do Dylan

• David

16/08/2020 at 22:38

thanks Howard for posting the link to your great topic. Excellent covers. Yo La Tengo’s Fourth Time Around is mesmerizing. Everything Norah Jones does is breathtaking. I saw Billy Bragg at the Vancouver Folk Festival many years ago & I was really into his music then. I had never heard The Flying Burrito Bros To Ramona or the Wolfgang Ambros cover. Both excellent. I’ll post a few more covers to your topic.

• Tom Fones

07/04/2021 at 06:04

Lord – am i late to this thread.

1) Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts
    2) Black Diamond Bay

Good singing for Dylan.
    Complicated stories with multiple sub-plots.

“The hangin’ judge came in unnoticed and was being wined and dined
    The drillin’ in the wall kept up but no one seemed to pay it any mind.
    It was known all around that Lily had Jim’s ring
    And nothing would ever come between Lily and the king.
    No, nothin’ ever would – except maybe the Jack of Hearts.”

“As the island slowly sank the loser finally broke the bank in the gambling room …
    The dealer says it’s too late now you can take your money but i don’t know how
    you’ll spend it in the tomb.

I never did plan to go anyway to Black Diamond Bay

Page 6 of 6

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!