MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Which is better, the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, and why?

• Tomás F. Calvo

08/01/2020 at 04:56

Oh, Billboard is a joke. A shill of the corrupt music industry to promote their illegitimate plundering of musicians. I’m glad MLT have made a stand and refuse to bow to those gangsters. Billboard 200 is not Rock, but overall sales, though the way they count album “sales” is laughable. Playing Burl Ives at the mall counts as album sales. Ridiculous but true. The Beatles are charting because Sony earns the money, the moment Paul gets the rights back, I’m sure they’ll disappear from the charts.

Now that’s closer to strongly “agitating”. Otherwise I think what I was doing is just poking and pestering you ?

I’ve seen the Stones charting constantly, sometimes with more albums than the Beatles, hence “taking a break”. However, I do think that it’s quite something that 50 years on they have 4 albums (could consider 6) charting, even in a Christmas season, while none of their albums are Christmas albums.

That Rockwell album is Lana Del Rey’s latest, she’s had a tough time with the industry, but I’ve never been touched by her music.

I have been touched by the love and care of animals, though. I spent a lot of time as a kid on a farm with horses and all types of animals (no roos). I just love it and I’m glad you can enjoy it too.

• Tomás F. Calvo

08/01/2020 at 05:02
  • Howard

08/01/2020 at 05:19

Well I’ve missed the ‘poking’ and ‘pestering’ and would be disappointed if you didn’t give it your best shot. It helps to keep the mind active and dementia at bay as we age. The reality is that in this club we are able to share our passion for all things musical and the MLT vision, without getting too hung up on our own particular favourites.

We owe much to the Wagner family for providing this wonderfully positive environment to discus our likes and perhaps even our dislikes occasionally, openly and respectfully. I just hope they are getting as much value from the 10 GBP per month that we are.

• Howard

08/01/2020 at 13:39

The Rolling Stones – “Honky Tonk Women”, 1969

Featuring a young Mick Taylor who had just recently joined the band after the departure of Brian Jones.

https://youtu.be/n_Ik8BhOF10

• Howard

09/01/2020 at 01:43

What is the song ‘Eleanor Rigby’ about?

I like this guy’s answer. Paul had incredible insight at such a young age.

Joss Buurman, Business Analyst investment management

“The song Eleanor Rigby is extremely sharp, but in a subtle way.
    We easily think it’s about loneliness, but that’s only part of the story.

Eleanor Rigby is a lonely woman who’s picking up rice in the church after a wedding, living in a dream. We know she will die in the church soon afterwards, we can imagine an old woman who dreams of her wedding that’s now long in the past. She’s recollecting memories long gone.

At home Eleanor Rigby puts down her mask, shows her real face. But not at the window, she’s pretending to be someone else when others might see her. The “who is it for?” shows that there is no one to notice; she’s so lonely that she does not even realise it.

Father McKenzie is a priest (?) who’s writing sermons for his empty church and darning his socks which people cannot see in his shoes. He’s doing his duty, but there are no people to notice.

Now the song becomes extremely sharp:
    Eleanor Rigby dies in church, Father McKenzie buries her in a nameless grave. He’s the only one who attended the funeral and again it was his duty (he dug the grave). He didn’t even know her name.

The sharpness is that Father McKenzie is thinking he’s doing his job but not seeing Eleanor Rigby’s loneliness. She came to his church at least twice (wedding and when she died) to ward of her loneliness and he was busy with his sermons and socks. Even Father McKenzie was part of Eleanor’s loneliness, he’s so self absorbed he didn’t even notice Eleanor and talk to her. Had he done that, he would have known her name.
    That’s the reason no one is saved: Eleanor Rigby died lonely and Father McKenzie never realised he has forsaken his real duty. He wipes the dirt from his hands, another job done. We now understand why his church is empty, the guy has no heart, he doesn’t care about others.

It’s a massive accusation towards the Christian church, hidden in a song about a lonely woman and a lonely priest.”

https://youtu.be/HuS5NuXRb5Y

Edit: I have just been corrected by my big brother who says this analysis, although good, is a generalisation.

“I am sure many pastor’s,  priests and churches would take exception to the ‘accusation’ generalisation.” I take his point.

• Howard

10/01/2020 at 15:29

John Lennon’s vocals were fantastic on this Beatles song. Ringo does a pretty good job too, especially with these great musicians supporting him.

I Call Your Name – Ringo Starr, Tom Petty and Jeff Lyne, with Jim Keltner on the cowbell and Joe Walsh on slide guitar.

https://youtu.be/xEKn9jBXibQ

• Howard

11/01/2020 at 03:19

Why was Give Peace a Chance credited to Lennon-McCartney upon release in ’69, while actually co-written by John and Yoko under the Plastic Ono Band banner ?

“Well, here was John Lennon’s answer to that question:

“All we were saying is give peace a chance!

“Yes, I did not write it with Paul; but out of guilt, we always had that thing that our names would go on songs even if we didn’t write them.

“It was never a legal deal between Paul and me, just an agreement when we were fifteen or sixteen to put both our names on our songs.

“I’d put his name on “Give Peace a Chance” though he had nothing to do with it…It was a silly thing to do, actually.

“It should have been Lennon-Ono.

“After being interviewed for weeks and weeks and weeks, night and day, with me and Yoko talking about peace from our beds, I had those words coming out of my mouth or Yoko’s – wherever the hell they came from…

“And it became a song – Give Peace a Chance.”

Thank you.”

• Howard

11/01/2020 at 04:13

The Rutles at the Royal Command Performance, 4 November 1963.

The Rutles – “With A Girl like You.

https://youtu.be/RS73iuwxA7M

There will never be another Rutles. Their influence on music will live on for centuries.

• Michael Jones

11/01/2020 at 08:42

The answer to the question you ask in this thread has a clear and perfect answer.  All one has to do… is add up the number of songs that the MonaLisa Twins have made videos for from each of the two groups.

There is no better way to determine which group is better – than simply looking at how many Beatles songs Mona & Lisa have performed for us.

And, btw… it ain’t even close.

The Twins have spoken.

The Beatles tower over the Stones.

Case closed!

• Howard

11/01/2020 at 09:45

Spoken like a true fan Mr Jones. The gods have spoken!

• David Herrick

11/01/2020 at 12:50

The Rutles:  truly “a legend that will last a lunchtime”!

• Howard

13/01/2020 at 23:52

Who is the inspiration for the Beatles song, ‘Michelle’?
    Mark Anatar
    “Paul has told this story multiple times. When the Beatles first got famous, they were invited to lots of parties, and as young men getting their first taste of fame, their main objective in life was to impress women. One of Paul’s favorite schemes was to sit in a corner wearing a black turtleneck, looking very artsy and enigmatic, and pluck out a French-sounding riff on an acoustic guitar while grunting mock French lyrics.

Years later the group was working on Rubber Soul. It was October/November 1965, and they were rushing to get it done in time for Christmas, but they didn’t have enough songs. John and Paul were wracking their brains for song ideas when John suggested Paul work up that French thing he used to do at parties.

It was the best idea they had, so Paul used the concept of trying to communicate his love of a French girl with the little French he had. He consulted Jan Vaughn, the wife of a friend of his and a French teacher, on how to phrase the lyrics and translate “these are words that go together well.” John then suggested the bridge section beginning with “I love you, I love you, I love you.” inspired by Nina Simone’s version of I Put a Spell on You.

There is no real life Michelle. It’s another example of Paul’s preference for telling third-person stories in his songs.”

• Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    16/01/2020 at 19:33

Hey guys,
    Since this thread has now over 150 posts we closed this topic for clarity and accessibility. Please feel free to open new threads for new topics.
    Thank you!

• Bill Isenberg

31/03/2021 at 00:45

Wow a bit behind here members, sorry but wow what a great post! For me? Wow I feel in love with the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 and then I heard Jumpin Jack Flash, Honkey Tonk Women and then I heard Brown Sugar and that was it for me, So I started loving the Stones but can’t forget the Beatles. Keith Richard said one time that the Beatles Opened the door and the Stones kicked the door down. No matter how you feel, these two groups shaped music for me and the music will live on forever.

• Thomas Randall

31/03/2021 at 01:09

For me it comes down to who you listen to more. For me it’s The Beatles by a VERY wide margin. I don’t own a single Stones recording. That’s not to say I think they stink, I just prefer The Beatles over the Stones. I do like a few Stones songs.

I’m not going to get into a debate over who are the better musicians. Who really cares?

Page 10 of 10

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!