• Jung Roe

16/09/2023 at 08:03

Here’s one with a very stand out bassline. I remember in engineering class as the year progressed and some students didn’t show up any more, they would say “another one bites the dust”. I think I bit the dust at one point! HAHAHA. It was a pretty common term back then.

https://youtu.be/eqyUAtzS_6M?si=BOG5wVxdK8Z-JPQ5

• Tim Arnold

16/09/2023 at 20:38

That’s one of the coolest basslines ever. Just heard it yesterday on the radio in my pickup truck. My truck doesn’t have a cd player otherwise I would have been listening to Mona and Lisa.

• Jürgen

16/09/2023 at 08:54

Bass guitarists are said to be a very special type of musician: relaxed, cool and casual, like this guy here 😀:

https://youtu.be/YPhO5g39vpg?si=KkYoWEhA6sLF0UcH

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:33

That’s hilarious Jurgen, and what a great sales man in the guitar shop.

• Jung Roe

16/09/2023 at 18:49

Like the Beatles, Bach in his day wrote the book on bassline and counterpoint. From my favourite pianist, this moving Bach piece starts off with a hauntingly beautiful bassline that is then joined by a counterpoint melody line that plays above, and then ends on the bassline again. The interplay between the 2 voices is magic. The effect is hauntingly sublime.

https://youtu.be/hjjjndGmoxA?si=8Z9rdAztlUn9mIIe

• Jung Roe

16/09/2023 at 19:06

And check out this bassline that drives the song throughout..

https://youtu.be/MGQIqiRALow?si=F7mn5nzY6l2EcLXa

• Tim Arnold

16/09/2023 at 21:12

Yeah Jung, The Beach Boys had some great bass lines through all of their songs, probably because they had a genius composer playing bass, kind of like The Beatles. Here’s one of my favorites and I think the best version of a good old Chuck Berry Song. https://youtu.be/xzyLAfOGc4U?feature=shared

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 05:53

Hi Tim

Yeah that’s a nice one. I had that album back in the 70s, some great old rock remakes the Beach Boys did. Rock and Roll Music is one of their big rockers they do at their concerts.

• David Herrick

16/09/2023 at 20:15

I just thought of this one. One of those rare bass-and-piccolo combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFdSOppmkNw

• Chris Weber

17/09/2023 at 05:38

I looked at the album cover, and I didn’t recognize his face or name. I started it and didn’t recognize the verse, but I definitely remember the chorus of this song.

From where, I have no idea. Must have been on the radio some time in the distant past is the only thing I can think of. That takes me back.

Ok, Wikipedia says it reached #4 in the US, #5 in the UK, and #1 in Canada in 1966. I probably heard it on CKLW from Windsor.

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:35

Nice David, you have a knack at finding these lesser known superb gems. It is a great bass-piccolo combo.

• Tim Arnold

16/09/2023 at 20:35

I went through a rockabilly phase a couple years ago and really enjoy the simple lineup of a 3 piece band playing rock n roll. I enjoy the classic ones like Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran and even Elvis when he started out. I found that rockabilly is still a big thing in the states as well as Europe. I even found a few new bands that I really liked. I especially like the bands that feature a girl playing the big double bass. Here’s another band I really like called Relax Trio. They are out of Finland and write original rockabilly music. The bassist is named Linda Teranen. I really enjoy their music, I hope you guys do to. https://youtu.be/cl9LQmekw78?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

17/09/2023 at 04:09

I really like that. Did you ever try asking people to guess where they’re from?

I can confidently state I would not have guessed Finland. But they’re really good.

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 17:24

Hi Chris, I have a couple of their Cds and it’s the only time I’ve had to use the language translator function to order an album. When I got the first Cd it was wrapped in a Finnish newspaper so I kept the newspaper too. They have a lot of great tunes. On this one I love Linda’s little smile at 1:36 when she does the little tapping run on the bass. I think she is saying “yep, I can do that”, Lol.

https://youtu.be/QyO0xoa8JKU?feature=shared

They were my favorite band until I found Mona and Lisa.

• Chris Weber

18/09/2023 at 02:31

Tim, I like that one too. Thanks.

Ok, I’m up to 2. Sibelius and Relax Trio. My 2 favorite Finnish bands.

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:02

Nice Tim, thanks for sharing the video. I’ve never heard of them before, but they are very good. Enjoyed that rockabilly groove.

• Tim Arnold

16/09/2023 at 21:34

I can’t overlook this guy either. I like these videos of the Twins first live band with Michael Mozeth and Phillip Wolf. They really drive the beat of these great rock and roll songs. Michael seems to be in his own zone there, fun to watch and listen to. I hope he is doing well and still playing.

https://youtu.be/E3XVSykA7Ws?feature=shared

• Chris Weber

17/09/2023 at 04:02

I love this, this is one of my all time favorite Beatles songs, and they’re just nailing it like always, and I agree Michael is playing a great bass line.

It also looks like Mona is doubling some of the bass part, while she’s singing. He’s getting some help.

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:23

Hey Chris,

How about this one by Mona and Lisa? The Kinks, You Really Got me is known for it’s notable bassline. Love Mona’s superb raspy rock vocals here, and Lisa’s lead guitar work is stellar, and the bass is doing a great job.

I remember the first time I heard Mona and Lisa’s cover of this one on their Beatles and More Volume 3 and it sounded better than the Kinks, I discovered MLT are also amazing hard rockers too! They can do everything. Never ceases to impress.

https://youtu.be/KcQfqtTv0qY?si=oXQXHhTPUViSReLA

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 17:37

Jung, I loved that song and performance straight away. Here’s another one with a great bassline but it takes some strength to focus on the bass with so much fun and beauty going on in the video. I assumed it was Rudolf playing bass but on the cd it lists Michael Mozeth on bass.

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 17:38

https://youtu.be/qefoXFsUZNE?feature=shared Lol. forgot to add the link.

• Jung Roe

18/09/2023 at 06:39

Tim, MLTs Bus Stop video is amazing on so many levels, if they were to give out an Oscar for the greatest music video of all time, I think this one would clinch it.

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 12:40

Bus Stop is listed on my profile as my favorite MLT video. The hilarious sight gags never end. “Employee of Another Month” floors me every time!

• Bud Jackson

25/09/2023 at 18:44

Jung,

This is one of my early MLT favorites! I still watch it! Also, I liked your info on Bach & Beethoven. I wish I could go back in time and watch these composers at work! There’re so many others too that I’d visit. Forget about watching a bloody battle. Music is one of the best things about humans!

Well, I’ve gotta get to work now so I’ll be prepared for rehearsals the next two nights.

Ciao! — Bud

• Jung Roe

26/09/2023 at 05:35

Hi Bud

I honestly believe if Bach or Beethoven were alive today, they would be making some of the greatest rock and roll songs any one heard. I hear rock and roll when I hear Bach, just the instruments of his time were organ, harpsichord and violins. Oooh, if someone handed him an electric guitar, I can only imagine what amazing rock music he would have come up with.

• Chris Weber

18/09/2023 at 02:25

Jung, of course they can do anything. And I love their confidence. I’ve thought about that – on their world tour, which band shows up? I love them Rocking Out, and I love Duo Sessions. And anything else they dream up.

There’s no doubt though, they love rocking out. Someone on YT once said he thought Mona got to sing all the fun ones. I don’t know that that’s completely true, but she sure looks like she’s enjoying it. And so am I.

• Jung Roe

18/09/2023 at 06:32

Chris, when it came to female rock vocals, I’ve always thought Joan Jett was the best, until I heard Mona doing You Really Got Me, My Generation, Revolution…etc but Mona and Lisa are so diverse on top of all that and can do soaring breathtaking vocals that leave Joan Jett in the dust like Best Years Of Our Lives, I get goose bumps every time I hear their vocals and harmonies on that. They can do it all!

• Chris Weber

18/09/2023 at 09:36

Jung,

Joan Jett is an interesting choice. I would definitely have Mona ahead of her too. And of course Lisa ahead of her too.

At the same time that Mona loves singing the real rockers, and she’s incredible doing it, she also is great singing those leads or harmonies on Duo Session type of songs. So many songs she just is incredible on. You’re right; they’re both so flexible at singing whatever.

• Tim Arnold

30/09/2023 at 03:45

Jung, Mona’s performance on this song is stellar indeed and that tone Lisa has on her Gretsch is just insane. This is a rocker for sure.

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 18:14

I agree Chris that Mona is helping out with the bassline. I don’t know if Mona gets enough credit for what she does. When they do a song with Lisa playing and singing lead I like to watch what Mona is doing. The fantastic rhythm playing with just a few added notes, the percussion, blues harp and of course the gorgeous harmonies with just the right oohs and aahs. She is so focused on making the song sound perfect. It’s fun to watch and always makes me smile and often puts a tear in my eye.

• Johnnypee Parker

30/09/2023 at 04:06

Hi Tim,

Check out Mona’s playing here. I really like this one. Their somber tone draws me right in.

https://youtu.be/bSibZsK8SUk

• Tim Arnold

09/10/2023 at 20:37

JP, I like this one, Mona is playing that nylon stringed Cordoba guitar that Lisa uses a lot in the Duo Sessions recordings. Another thing I like about this video is that it is clearly a live recording done in one take. It makes me feel like I am sitting in the studio listening to them play. I can’t wait for the livestream on Sunday. Anyone have ideas on what songs we might hear?

• Johnnypee Parker

10/10/2023 at 02:45

Hi Tim,

Watch Mona after “dressing gown” She makes it look so easy, thumb and all. I really like how this has that natural sound of the room. It feels very spontaneous. When I first found this I was dumbfounded. Seems like there are little gems like this everywhere you turn here.

JP

• Tim Arnold

10/10/2023 at 06:16

Yeah JP, that is some good stuff. She is an amazing musician. I love watching the girls play almost as much as I like listening to what they are playing. I know what you mean about the gems you find in the club and this is certainly one of those gems.

• Jacki Hopper

17/09/2023 at 01:24

Hi Jung, No that was not a young Bryan Adams in that video ….only a lookalike…great dating though…The Real Bryan Adam’s only did vocals on song… never appeared in either video versions of this song ….. I prefer this song done Live….beats the record version hands diwn…well, actually, GT is better Live , all around, much more rock n rollin except for the slower songs but still, better Live…. I should know, only known them personally since 1988-89 and seen them in concert as in lost track how many times …. and always a great visit with them either before a show or after or both .

One of the best gestures they did a few years ago was to do a private surprise gig at a nursing home for a woman who I think is their oldest fan, it was arranged by a lifelong GT fan that works at the nursing home who arranged it, and the guys were playing a concert gig that night or next day ….it went viral….it was on the news ….

GT and their respect/love to their fans parallels what/how MLT are with fans and These are the only bands I can honestly think of /know truly, genuinely that has this effect…🤘🏻👍🏻👌

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:01

Hi Jacki

I am so gullible, LOL. That Bryan Adams lookalike did look very young though.

That is a really nice story what they did for one of their fans. They are really good caring people and appreciate their fans, much like MLT. We are all so lucky to have found Mona and Lisa, and double lucky for you having found GT and MLT.

• Jung Roe

17/09/2023 at 06:10

Here is the first time I saw Lisa on the bass, and sounds great. When Mona and Lisa’s soaring harmonies kick in wow, Africa never sounded so good. No better complement to Mona and Lisa than Steve Lukather of Toto who said of their vocals “girls are killer”.

https://youtu.be/kp6w-i5znag?si=P5q-gq25-zCgVHCf

• Tim Arnold

09/10/2023 at 20:53

Jung, that performance is just amazing. I always like Mike’s smile at 00:58 when Mona and Lisa first join in. I think he knows that something really special is coming. It sounds fantastic coming out of my computer speakers, I can’t imagine sitting in the theatre listening to those harmonies. The bass is pretty good too.

• David Herrick

17/09/2023 at 15:00

And the hits just keep on coming…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWhTqLSVzE

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 16:51

Good one David, I always loved Tommy James and the Shondells. They are quite overlooked but had a lot of great songs and obviously influenced a lot of bands to come later.

• David Herrick

17/09/2023 at 17:35

Agreed, Tim. Hanky Panky, I Think We’re Alone Now, Mony Mony, Crimson and Clover, Crystal Blue Persuasion, Draggin’ the Line. Really underrated.

• Tim Arnold

17/09/2023 at 17:57

I really like Crimson and Clover and Crystal Blue Persuasion. They definitely influenced a lot of the psychedelic movement in the 60’s. I like Joan Jett’s version of Crimson and Clover too.

• Chris Weber

18/09/2023 at 09:44

Did you ever see all the hits those guys had? So many songs. And they were from little Niles, MI, across the border from South Bend.

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 12:35

I’ve actually been to Niles! I was visiting a former colleague who lived there and taught at the community college in Benton Harbor.

• Jung Roe

26/09/2023 at 05:40

Niice David, a great blast from the past. Is that a Hammond I see?

• Jürgen

17/09/2023 at 16:52

Let’s get funky. In the 80s, the funky bass was very popular, for example here with the Icelandic funk band Mezzoforte from Reykjavík. Their most famous piece is probably Garden Party:

https://youtu.be/Brk_GByvouY?si=Q2dTL1fnLdaOJuld

• Jung Roe

26/09/2023 at 05:48

Hi Jurgen, some really nice Saxophone playing and the drums too. Reminded me a little bit of Chicago with the brass section, with a funk sound all their own.

• Jürgen

17/09/2023 at 16:53

…or more recently like Philippe Gonnand…

https://youtu.be/BlmdWXENiSM?si=7fUmgXXKsfZJIy1Y

• Tim Arnold

20/09/2023 at 01:19

Hi Jurgen, That bass player is really good and fun to watch. The guitar player is pretty good also, funky music is right.

• Jürgen

20/09/2023 at 07:59

Thanks Tim, actually, I’m not the biggest fan of funk music. Disco and funk passed me by, I was around 13 or 14 when the music was at its peak. So too young to go to the discotheque. My best friend at the time, Dirk, played keyboard and piano and, from my point of view at the time, had a somewhat unusual taste in music and unfortunately did not share my passion for the Beatles. One day he came and told me he really liked a Beatles song. I listened, had a miracle happened overnight? No, he raved about „Got to get you into my life“ by Earth, Wind and Fire. My first serious contact with this kind of music. But to be honest: the brass sections are pretty cool though. Mezzoforte later followed with their first album of the same name and the hit Garden Party and several other bands.

https://youtu.be/o72Rf3i30D4?si=jxQa1eDIa4YOKkKU

• Tim Arnold

20/09/2023 at 16:56

Jurgen, I’m right with you as far as what I enjoyed growing up. I was never a fan of funk music or any bands with horns in them. I mostly enjoyed the harder, driving, rock n roll, but there were exceptions. Some of the Rolling Stones albums had horns on them and I really liked the Edgar Winter Group and Edgar played the saxophone on some songs. I guess I’ve mellowed out in my old age and enjoy just seeing really good musicians no matter what instrument they play. I’m still not a fan of bands like Earth, Wind and Fire but I can appreciate how good they are at their craft.

• Jung Roe

26/09/2023 at 05:53

Another amazing song by the Beatles, “Got To Get You Into My Life”. I think they started a whole new rock genre with this song consisting of Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Little River Band etc….

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 03:40

This song has perhaps the head-boppingest bass intro ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNFzfwLM72c

• Tim Arnold

18/09/2023 at 20:26

I absolutely hated the disco craze back then. Luckily I had a stereo at home and in my car and didn’t have to listen to the radio. I liked the Bee Gees before their disco phase and can’t deny they did blow up the air waves with it. Now days I don’t mind it because it’s not being played 24/7. I even like some of it once in a while. Stayin’ Alive does have a great beat and bassline and the Gibb brothers were among the best at harmonies. Maurice and Robin were twins too even though they looked nothing alike. Good post David, it is a great tune.

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 20:55

I’ve experienced the same arc of emotions as you with regard to disco, Tim. But I was just a kid when it hit, and I had nothing to fall back on. My favorite songs in the 70’s were the small fragments that they played on TV commercials for “greatest hits” albums from the 50’s and 60’s, plus whatever I got to hear on Happy Days (late 50’s / early 60’s) or the Hardy Boys (Shaun Cassidy, who was mostly doing 60’s covers).

Fortunately, Stayin’ Alive didn’t really root itself in my head until it was featured in the “Airplane!” movie, and that’s where my mind goes when I hear it.

• Tim Arnold

18/09/2023 at 21:34

David, Airplane is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear Stayin’ Alive. What a classic comedy movie. I guess I learned about music from my older brothers and sisters. A couple older sisters played piano and accordian and loved gospel music. My oldest brother Bud played guitar and liked Johnny Cash. My brother Denny played guitar and loved Elvis and Waylon Jennings. Brother Rod played bass in the family band and liked The Mamas and Papas and Charlie Pride. My brother Tom could play any instrument and loved CCR, Hank Williams, John Denver and everything else and he could play it all. My two youngest sisters, still 5 years older than me loved the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel. I wished my sister Nita was alive to hear Mona and Lisa, she loved singing harmony with the boys and loved the bands that could really harmonize. She would absolutely love MLT. I guess I had a lot of music influences and nowdays there really isn’t any music that I don’t like so bring on the ABBA and Bee Gees.

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 03:45

It was done with a Moog on the record, but in this Sesame Street performance (yes, you heard that right) it was a real bass guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

• Chris Weber

18/09/2023 at 19:09

Thanks for posting that, I never saw that before. Sesame Street was pretty special. You’ve got to love that, Stevie, who joined Motown at age 11, brings the whole band in to show kids. Makes you wonder how many kids had their first look at musical genius at a really young age because of this. How many lives did this change?

That was from April 1973, so I was about to graduate high school, no wonder I missed it.

Ok, so a cursory look around, and I find out Stevie also wrote another little song especially for that appearance, called 1 2 3 Sesame Street. The bass stands out even more in this song.

I think that’s a vocoder he’s using. Sounds like it.

https://youtu.be/FMDCjA9_-tM

• Tim Arnold

18/09/2023 at 19:59

Yeah that’s pretty cool. Says quite a bit about the man to write a song for a kid’s show and bring in the whole band complete with horn section and background singers, and add in the extra talk box. Pretty special. I bet he did influence some young kids with that.

• David Herrick

18/09/2023 at 21:15

Count me among the young kids who were influenced by this performance! I honestly didn’t recall him doing Superstition at the time — it probably flew right over my little seven-year-old head — but I definitely remember that second song. I had no idea who he was, but for years I called him “that guy with the robot voice”.

Yeah, Sesame Street and the Electric Company introduced my generation to so many genres of music at a very young age, and to this day I’m still grateful to the Children’s Television Workshop for their cultural investment in my childhood.

• Johnnypee Parker

20/09/2023 at 03:35

David, when you mentioned the music clips on tv commercials I was reminded why I have always loved this song and others. There’s also some fantastic covers of this out there.

So back then our internet was the closest radio station, the record stores and commercials for K-Tel records and Time/Life music collections.

Go grab a big bowl of Lucky Charms and plop down on the floor in front of a big RCA TV and click on this:

https://youtu.be/gl4Y4FWWkn0?si=lHWMAr3AvynB8aQ1

• David Herrick

20/09/2023 at 04:00

Hey, JP!

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I first heard Wildfire (just that single word, of course) on one of those record commercials. Did you know that in 1964 Michael Martin Murphey was in a group with Michael Nesmith? That connection ultimately led to him writing a few songs that were recorded by the Monkees, most notably What Am I Doing Hangin’ ‘Round.

Lucky Charms was, and still is, the best!

Ah, K-Tel records! When I was in college I schemed about forming a band called Much Much More, and then suing K-Tel for falsely claiming that our songs were on their albums.

• Jürgen

20/09/2023 at 08:03

Abraham Laboriel is one of the best bass players in the world, at least that’s what Paul McCartney is saying. Laboriel has an interesting CV. Born in Mexico City, he initially studied engineering before finally devoting himself to music and becoming a well-known studio musician and later founding the band Koinonia. His son accompanied Paul McCartney as a drummer during various musical performances.

https://youtu.be/XPSriFxA6r0?si=pHx2AlwulTmhLFYi&t=89

Page 2 of 3

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!